Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU vs. UND, Tuesday 9/9 7:00

Default Re: NDSU vs. UND, Tuesday 9/9 7:00

Quote Originally Posted by HandoEX View Post
    2nd rate to SDSU and UND in volleyball??? A few head-to-head losses wipe out the 4 straight conference championships and 3 NCAA tourney appearances in the last 4 years compared to absolutely nothing accomplished by either SDSU or UND in volleyball, besides finally beating the Bison?
    Who says it isn't a rivalry when your whole season is defined by the results of a single match?

Reps to you Hando.

Quote Originally Posted by MN_BISON View Post
    She replaced a very successful coach with someone with no experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by MN_BISON View Post
    Put Gene in charge and see what happens.
    In one breath, you are posting that it's wrong that Dorn hired a volleyball coach with no head coaching experience. In the next breath you want an Athletic Director that hired our current football, basketball, wrestling, and baseball head coaches with no prior head coaching experience to hire for women's sports as well. I am not supporting Dorn, just trying to wrap my head around this.

I am not too familiar with our women's programs, but I follow them enough to know that they have been successful...more successful than our men's programs or any other Summit League programs. Where does the negativity come from for our AD?

Men's Sports: Between football, baseball, basketball and wrestling, NDSU has 3 DI postseason appearances (fb=2, bball=1).

Women's Sports: Between volleyball, basketball, softball, and soccer, NDSU has 9 DI postseason appearances (vb=3, softball=4, soccer=2).

What am I missing?

I am not too familiar with our women's programs, but I follow them. Where does the negativity come from for our AD?
    Yeah, I've never understood the antipathy toward Dorn.

After all, she made an extremely hard call with the VB program when she didn't renew the contract of a long-time coach and that resulted in all those post-season appearances.

Kermit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I am not too familiar with our women's programs, but I follow them enough to know that they have been successful...more successful than our men's programs or any other Summit League programs. Where does the negativity come from for our AD?

Men's Sports: Between football, baseball, basketball and wrestling, NDSU has 3 DI postseason appearances (fb=2, bball=1).

Women's Sports: Between volleyball, basketball, softball, and soccer, NDSU has 9 DI postseason appearances (vb=3, softball=4, soccer=2).

What am I missing?
    Well, the two most visible women's programs (basketball and volleyball) seem to be headed in the wrong direction.
    "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
    — John Wooden

In one breath, you are posting that it's wrong that Dorn hired a volleyball coach with no head coaching experience. In the next breath you want an Athletic Director that hired our current football, basketball, wrestling, and baseball head coaches with no prior head coaching experience to hire for women's sports as well. I am not supporting Dorn, just trying to wrap my head around this.
    Bohl had plenty of D1 credentials when he was hired. I think there's a difference with hiring someone who doesn't have any D1 credentials, and hiring someone with D1 credentials. Bohl was a part of a program that was successful and maintained a prestigeous position in the program, and was successful at it. Kari's only credentials are working under a brillinat mind like Hinterstocker, who was in control of every facet of the program when he was coaching here. Kari was much similiar to Saul.

I'm certainly not saying she won't work out, but IMHO she appears to be a little over her head at the moment. The one thing she's been disappointing with is getting players into the program. Again, the volleyball team doesn't even have enough players to gameplay in practices. They are having to pull players off the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Well, the two most visible women's programs (basketball and volleyball) seem to be headed in the wrong direction.
    i hear you Hando, but this is where I am as well. I'm concerned at not only the recent results (which are what they are), but more importantly the trend. I'm not ready to run anyone out of town but given the support for women's athletics here its a crime to see wbb where it is, and vb doesn't look to be maintaining the high standards they set.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

The lack of accountability towards the women's basketball team's failures are manifesting into the views of the other programs. I can understand that!

Also, good post silk.

MN_BISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Hando, I'm frustrated with Dorn and some of her recent decisions, letting the soccer coach walk over a few thousand dollars and I've never really heard a good reason for firing Hinterstocker other than he yells at players and basketball speaks for itself.....I hope Kari gets things right and like some have said maybe it's just a rebuilding year. As for Gene's hires, well you've got me on Kish but I'd argue that Saul and Bohl both had pretty good resumes heading into their jobs. Bohl was near the summit of coaching while at Lincoln with several stops before that as DC at BCS schools. Saul had 10 years of DI assistant coaching under his belt with the likes of Ryan at WI and Tim Miles. Brown also had several years as an assitant DI coach and has done wonders with the program with quite honestly a job a lot of people may not have wanted considering it's northern baseball and SU's track record. So again, my frustration is more with Dorn and some of her moves as of late. Maybe her hands were tied with the budget regarding soccer, I don't know.... Yes the programs have done very well over time with Lynn but I'm just wondering out loud if things are heading in the right direction and asked a very honest question about why we need two AD's.

Monk LaFramboise (that's for you, NB)

What am I missing?
    I must have missed one of the soccer post season appearances. Can you tell me when it was?