Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: March of the Penguins?

Default Re: March of the Penguins?

Quote Originally Posted by AjaxTheMighty View Post
    Go back to SS. Ignorance? Maybe. Arrogance? That's just hateful. How do you have the right to judge their motives anyway? I guess assigning blame to these student athletes helps you sleep or something.
    They admitted they were guilty. How is that about me assigning blame?

Go back to SS.com? Just, who do you think I am?
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    How did you get to the idea that I don't think their punishment is appropriate? I've got no beef with anyone except people who insist on blaming the media for wanting to do their job. I thought this was about access to players.
    So, in your world, college football is about access to the players, even if that means biased bashing to the player(s). Careful how you answer, remember you believe they have been punished enough.
    Hey Barkeep, another round of the green stuff for me and my buddies!

Quote Originally Posted by KilldeerBison View Post
    So, in your world, college football is about access to the players, even if that means biased bashing to the player(s). Careful how you answer, remember you believe they have been punished enough.
    It's not.... However, I do think some miss the point that one purpose of speaking to the media is to also speak to your fans. Other than cyberstalkers, most fans don't have the opportunity to hear what players think of the game and their team.

Additionally, I really don't think the "true media" has been all that disrespectful (other than Kolpack's poor choice of timing and words). A lot of the anger has been focused around talk radio and talk radio is not media. The purpose of talk radio is to entertain and to get people fired up. When you listen and get worked up, they win. Therefore, I don't listen and don't care what talk radio has to say about anything.

That all being said, personally, I give Marcus a pass for the Youngstown weekend. I imagine it has been a very difficult month and week for that player in addition to preparing for such a difficult opponent. If there was any question as to him being able to keep his frustration and emotions in check, it was the right call. However, I do think that it would be best for him and the University to get him coaching on how to answer the difficult questions and that he goes out on Saturday. He is a high profile player on the team, and people will want to hear from him on his thoughts on the game.

If Marcus truly wants to play on Sundays, anything he faces in Fargo will be a cake walk. Helping him learn composure in difficult times will only make him a more valuable team member.

Quote Originally Posted by PattyBison View Post
    It's not.... However, I do think some miss the point that one purpose of speaking to the media is to also speak to your fans. Other than cyberstalkers, most fans don't have the opportunity to hear what players think of the game and their team.

Additionally, I really don't think the "true media" has been all that disrespectful (other than Kolpack's poor choice of timing and words). A lot of the anger has been focused around talk radio and talk radio is not media. The purpose of talk radio is to entertain and to get people fired up. When you listen and get worked up, they win. Therefore, I don't listen and don't care what talk radio has to say about anything.

That all being said, personally, I give Marcus a pass for the Youngstown weekend. I imagine it has been a very difficult month and week for that player in addition to preparing for such a difficult opponent. If there was any question as to him being able to keep his frustration and emotions in check, it was the right call. However, I do think that it would be best for him and the University to get him coaching on how to answer the difficult questions and that he goes out on Saturday. He is a high profile player on the team, and people will want to hear from him on his thoughts on the game.

If Marcus truly wants to play on Sundays, anything he faces in Fargo will be a cake walk. Helping him learn composure in difficult times will only make him a more valuable team member.
    I guess he must feel completely different than you do?
    Hey Barkeep, another round of the green stuff for me and my buddies!

Quote Originally Posted by KilldeerBison View Post
    I guess he must feel completely different than you do?
    Not sure who "he" is... but if you are referring to Marcus, I would guess absolutely yes. I am an adult who has graduated from college, have held jobs that require me to often do what I don't want to do, raise issues that I don't want to raise, and be yelled at by clients who disagree. I also have to build good enough relationships with those clients to win work from them in the future. So, I have had to learn to deal with tough and unpleasant situations. So, yes, if you are referring to Marcus, I can't say that I disagree with you when you compare me to a 20 year old who is still in college.

Guys,

Kolpack and Izzo aren't the bad guys here. These guys aren't just reporters, they truely are fans of NDSU. You can hear it in their voices, see it in their enthusiasm. I really don't believe Kolpack would have asked any of the players about petitiongate (the other idots in the room, however, would have), that is why he was so upset. I really feel he believes he was one of the media good guys in Fargo through this whole ordeal and he should have access to the players involved because of it. However, he reacted inappropiately. He, and the media in general, have to learn that they are not "entitled" to access everyone, and sometimes will be denied access to some or all of the players.

IMO, though, NDSU didn't handled this situation well. The players being interviewed could have simply gave a "no comment" to any question that wasn't game related. I feel this response would have actually made the reporter look foolish for asking the question.

Oh yeah, and Schneph can suck it..................

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    They admitted they were guilty. How is that about me assigning blame?

Go back to SS.com? Just, who do you think I am?
    You are confused. You are talking about blame for the actual incident. The players have some of the blame for that. No doubt. They are adults. They are paying their debt owed for their transgression. No, go back to the middle of this argument, and we were arguing about who's to blame for this issue being brought up AGAIN. Kolpack Blamed NDSU for forcing the issue by not putting MWill out there. I'm saying they do not owe The media anything no matter what the ethics police of the interwebs or the media think. I say go back to SS because your cries for justice for the matter (or your devils advocate position) sounds a lot like the crap they would say over there. Yes, we know. It's just terrible. How can we go on without medical Mary-juana? It's an absolute travesty...

Thanks again for the hijack of the thread Bisonville........the title says nothing about Marcus, petitiongate, or NDSU punishment of players, yet 80% of the posts were of that subject matter. Enough of those topics anyway........PLEASE let them die!
    I still think the Forum has an axe to grind with NDSU (sports and academics) and the big ass penguin is just another example. All I know is that if I had a high level position at NDSU I would have all the powerful boosters and alumni letting the Fargo Forum know how much their crap paper isn't appreciated. I wish I had 5 minutes with the douchebag that runs the Forum so I could ask what his problem is with North Dakota, Fargo and NDSU. Just a shame that they don't know how lucky they are to have such a great university in their backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo View Post
    Perhaps you all didn't notice that Marcus left the field very slowly when the game was over. He was the last player off the field....which is probably the only place the press won't bother him. IMO, the press -ure is weighing heavily on the players and it's totally understandable if they don't want to face it. I give the kids and staff great credit for keeping their focus in spite of those in the press who want to bring them down.
    I agree. These kids are keeping their heads up. Just business as usual. I think we all forget how much pressure is on them, and lets not forget.. These guys have to go to class on Monday morning. I walked past MWill twice a week for a whole year last year on campus.. And he always had shadows.. Not an entourage.. Just shadows of fans.. I'd think that would be very hard to concentrate..
    Rynomite

Getting way to obsessed with Bison Football since 2008.