Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Week 5 Polls

Default Re: Week 5 Polls

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan View Post
    Wonder how long it's been since Northern Iowa has been this far down the list. Clenz...maybe you could help us on this one.

It'd be sweet to run the table and get a home playoff game with Eastern Washington.
    Agreed. I didn't understand too much about the rankings until I looked up their criteria last year. It's a joke how they make these points, and so biased/subjective. If you are gonna be a statistics slave, try and use quantitative data in the rankings. The worst yet is where Sam Houston is ranked in relation to where UNI was last week. It's just too political.
    Rynomite

Getting way to obsessed with Bison Football since 2008.

And yes, a playoff at home against Eastern Washington would be amazing. Hopefully not with the same officials we had a few years ago.
    Rynomite

Getting way to obsessed with Bison Football since 2008.

gumby013 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by KC Bison View Post
    Did you program in a Cal-Poly win over San Diego State, when it should have been the Univ of San Diego.
    Everything is correct. The system is currently putting a lot of weight on their win over Wyoming, and with not a lot of games played it just magnifies the effect.

For us, the wins over Prairie View and Robert Morris aren't helping much at all...and the UNI win is doing even less. Their sole victory being against a DII team is really dragging them down, and as a result it sees the win as against a weak team. As the season goes on and UNI wins more, that game will grow in value. If we win against Youngstown, that will be a huge boost.

Things should even out after the next couple weeks. I didn't put anything out last week because not all the teams were linked with matchups. Sagrin uses data from the previous year in his rankings at the beginning of the season. I'm not a fan of that since we aren't ranking last year anymore. I'd rather wait until there is enough data for this year for the algorithm to stand on it's own.

I'm working on a second version as well. In it's current state, it looks at the strength of opponents. I will add in a module to also factor in the strength of schedule of those opponents.

JSUBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Ivy teams in the top 20 must be some funky math, but I really don't understand Dartmouth in that poll. 2-1 and ahead of 3-0 Harvard? Dartmouth beat HC by 3, while Harvard rolled HC by 49.