Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Joe Mays

Default Re: Joe Mays

Does anybody else rememberthe way Joe Toth hit guys at Dacotah Field in the early 90s? I was an undergrad and it was bonecrunching watching from the south stands...

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison bison View Post
    People see what they want to see.

I saw a quarterback nearly lose helmet on a play and then get laid out, lose his helmet on the next one.

Mays lowered his shoulder and ran through the tackle. He never launched, he was on his feet before, during, and after the hit.

I hate the play for two reasons at it contains the two things I dislike most about the NFL - unnecessary roughness (not the penalty, just knocking the sh#t out of a guy which Joe is notorious for) and quarterback pussery.

Strap your helmet on and be ready to take a hit.

Don't waddle out there like you're part of the f@cking gentry and then take offense when you get nailed.
    That hit was just as dangerous for Joe as it was to the QB. He made no attempt to tackle at all. He become a missile using the crown of his helmet which can result in a serious concussion for the hitter or worse compress the spinal column in his neck. The fact he went into the head of his opponent with the crown makes it worse. This has nothing to do with the fact that opponent was a quarterback. This is dangerous and a foul if he does it against a 300 lb lineman.

If you want this hit to be a legal part of football you had better prepare for no more football. You can still legally hit this player very hard without using your your head or going at his head.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    That hit was just as dangerous for Joe as it was to the QB. He made no attempt to tackle at all. He become a missile using the crown of his helmet which can result in a serious concussion for the hitter or worse compress the spinal column in his neck. The fact he went into the head of his opponent with the crown makes it worse. This has nothing to do with the fact that opponent was a quarterback. This is dangerous and a foul if he does it against a 300 lb lineman.

If you want this hit to be a legal part of football you had better prepare for no more football. You can still legally hit this player very hard without using your your head or going at his head.

Loved Joe Mays when he was playing for the Bison ; the answer to these dangerous hits is leather helmets and no face guards. That'll learn'em !!

People see what they want to see.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    Loved Joe Mays when he was playing for the Bison ; the answer to these dangerous hits is leather helmets and no face guards. That'll learn'em !!
    Many have said that may be the only way to get players to stop using their head. Bison fans went nuts with Clowney's hit to the back of Carson's helmet in the playoff game and that's nothing compared to this. I bet Clowney doesn't do that if he's wearing a leather helmet.

SoCalBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Many have said that may be the only way to get players to stop using their head. Bison fans went nuts with Clowney's hit to the back of Carson's helmet in the playoff game and that's nothing compared to this. I bet Clowney doesn't do that if he's wearing a leather helmet.
    Or he does it once.
    Bison gonna Bison, FCS or FBS(tm)

G_Funky is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

during one fall camp i saw Joe put a 310 lb o-lineman on skates from the middle of the field to the sideline and then hip tossed him to the fence because he was pissed he was getting held all practice. He then turned to entire offensive squad and screamed "y'all better stop holding me!" needless to say no one held him after that.

also - it always seemed like him and Jangs had an unwritten rule that if Ty was going to be lead blocking Joe they only went about 50% because they knew that if they collided full speed it would send shock waves all through North Fargo.
    This is not 'Nam. This is Bisonville. There are rules here.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Funky View Post
    during one fall camp i saw Joe put a 310 lb o-lineman on skates from the middle of the field to the sideline and then hip tossed him to the fence because he was pissed he was getting held all practice. He then turned to entire offensive squad and screamed "y'all better stop holding me!" needless to say no one held him after that.

also - it always seemed like him and Jangs had an unwritten rule that if Ty was going to be lead blocking Joe they only went about 50% because they knew that if they collided full speed it would send shock waves all through North Fargo.
    I like this story.

Quote Originally Posted by IA_BIZON View Post
    Does anybody else rememberthe way Joe Toth hit guys at Dacotah Field in the early 90s? I was an undergrad and it was bonecrunching watching from the south stands...
    Wish there was video but I remember one from Angelo State game in 94 where the back went from going full speed ahead to being driven back and planted about 5 yards behind the hit.

Quote Originally Posted by CivilBison96 View Post
    Wish there was video but I remember one from Angelo State game in 94 where the back went from going full speed ahead to being driven back and planted about 5 yards behind the hit.
    i just remember him jumping out of our 2nd story house to get away from the cops and rocky..haha. he hit the ground running

Toth & Beck & Mays 3 biggest badasses in ndsu football history
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?