Thread: UNO with balbance sports budget

Default UNO with balbance sports budget

Really interesting read!!

http://www.unogateway.com/mobile/spo...aise-1.2902736

The annual operating cost of UNO sports is about $8 million. That number is supported by $3 million from the state, roughly $1.1 million from student fees and the remaining $3.9 million the department creates on its own.

What that means is UNO creates 49 percent of its sports budget. That makes Maverick athletics unique in its own conference and among peer institutions.

According to a study by USA Today, in the Summit League the average amount of subsidy for each athletics department is 71 percent. Only North Dakota State is even close to UNO, taking just 47.9 percent of their athletics budget through subsidy.

The next closest is South Dakota at 62.1 percent. The highest number comes from IUPUI at a whopping 88.5 percent based on subsidy.

Default Re: UNO with balbance sports budget

I didn't read the article. Just the quoted part above.

Sounds like they understated the difference between UNO and NDSU. That would indicate that NDSU didn't just come close to UNO, we actually EXCEED them in creating our own money vs a subsidy.

If UNO creates 49% of their budget, they get 51% from subsidy. The quote says NDSU gets 47.9% from subsidy which means we create 52%.

The truly unique institution is NDSU. Apparently, the only Summit school who creates more than 50% of their athletic budget from outside sources.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    I didn't read the article. Just the quoted part above.

Sounds like they understated the difference between UNO and NDSU. That would indicate that NDSU didn't just come close to UNO, we actually EXCEED them in creating our own money vs a subsidy.

If UNO creates 49% of their budget, they get 51% from subsidy. The quote says NDSU gets 47.9% from subsidy which means we create 52%.

The truly unique institution is NDSU. Apparently, the only Summit school who creates more than 50% of their athletic budget from outside sources.
    thought the same thing at first, but I believe when they say subsidy they're talking purely state money, excluding student fees. Could be wrong though. Either way would be interesting to see a local paper do a similar study. I'd be happy to assist with some of the more difficult checkbook math, as they seem to have trouble with big numbers and ratios.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    thought the same thing at first, but I believe when they say subsidy they're talking purely state money, excluding student fees. Could be wrong though. Either way would be interesting to see a local paper do a similar study. I'd be happy to assist with some of the more difficult checkbook math, as they seem to have trouble with big numbers and ratios.
    Nope. If they only use "State" money in the calculation, their subsidy is only 37% and they create 63%. Their 3.0 state money and 1.1 student fees add up to 51% subsidy which matches the claims of creating 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    Nope. If they only use "State" money in the calculation, their subsidy is only 37% and they create 63%. Their 3.0 state money and 1.1 student fees add up to 51% subsidy which matches the claims of creating 49%.
    I stand (or in this case, sit) corrected. I was operating under the premise that student fees were neither counted as subsidy nor self-created.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Quote Originally Posted by SamsRams View Post
    Really interesting read!!

http://www.unogateway.com/mobile/spo...aise-1.2902736

The annual operating cost of UNO sports is about $8 million. That number is supported by $3 million from the state, roughly $1.1 million from student fees and the remaining $3.9 million the department creates on its own.

What that means is UNO creates 49 percent of its sports budget. That makes Maverick athletics unique in its own conference and among peer institutions.

According to a study by USA Today, in the Summit League the average amount of subsidy for each athletics department is 71 percent. Only North Dakota State is even close to UNO, taking just 47.9 percent of their athletics budget through subsidy.

The next closest is South Dakota at 62.1 percent. The highest number comes from IUPUI at a whopping 88.5 percent based on subsidy.
    Good read. Although our budget is 14 million so what weve done is more impressive

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Hambone is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Even though I understand your logic Northern, I think that they are considering subsidy as what they receive from the state and not including student fees. I know you showed it wouldn't add up, but I would bet that if you were to receive NDSU's actual numbers it would show that the fees and what the department creates on it's own you would probably come up with the 52%. I guess I don't know that (where the hell is Hammersmith) for sure, but I can't imagine the author would describe how unique UNO is and give an example right afterwards of someone better.
    University of North Dakota *THIS SPACE FOR RENT*

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Even though I understand your logic Northern, I think that they are considering subsidy as what they receive from the state and not including student fees. I know you showed it wouldn't add up, but I would bet that if you were to receive NDSU's actual numbers it would show that the fees and what the department creates on it's own you would probably come up with the 52%. I guess I don't know that (where the hell is Hammersmith) for sure, but I can't imagine the author would describe how unique UNO is and give an example right afterwards of someone better.
    We're sorry, Hammersmith can't come to the internet right now as he's been drinking many Newcastles in a failed attempt to make the waitresses at Hooters pay more attention to him. If you leave your name and question, he'll be sure to get back to you once he sobers the hell up.

zooropa is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

One thing the article fails to mention:

Title IX.

USD, UNO & NDSU all have potential Title IX problems (USD, especially, as they are well out of compliance with the state's standards). SDSU does not.

Adjusting for Title IX sports subsidies (and SDSU's equestrian budget is comparable to the FB budget), SDSU still lags NDSU in revenue production as a percentage of the athletic department budget, but not by the margin suggested in this article.

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    Good read. Although our budget is 14 million so what weve done is more impressive
    It's 15.3 million in the 2010-2011 year, I think it was close to 17 million last year
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz