Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Far Accross the Plains of ND

Default Re: Far Accross the Plains of ND

Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    I get the old version is a classic but times have changed and we are both Universities. So why run the risk of confusion? My version will always be

On the plains of North Dakota
    there for all to see
    Stands an outhouse on the prairie
    And they call it U-N-D.
    Hail the Bison, Hail the Bison
    with their tails up in the air.
    University, University
    The Sue can kiss whats under there.
    There was no confusion. Damn who were the idiots who fucked up a great song with those other versions. Damn
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBisonRock View Post
    There are as many correct versions of the song as there are posters on Bisonville.

So here goes the first of many correct versions!

Far across the plains of Fargo
    There for all to see.
    Stands an old abandoned outhouse
    Called the U-ni-versity
    Hail the Bison, Hail the Bison with their tails up in the air.
    University, University you can kiss whats under there.
    <Followed by an ever growing and changing chant begining Bison once, Bison twice, Holy Jumping ......>
    Compare:
    The SDSU version I learned the Fall of 1972 is quite similar to the above:

Far across the plains of Brookings,
    Far as I can see
    Stands an old abandoned outhouse
    Called the U-ni-ver-sity.
    Go Jackrabbits!

LikeMothers is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It seems to me people need to spend less time arguing about it and more time singing it, whatever the exact words may be.

Regardless of which version you choose to use, the one point of agreement on this thread is the most important point.

They can kiss what's under there!
    Rock

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    There was no confusion. Damn who were the idiots who fucked up a great song with those other versions. Damn
    Here's the confusion. This might be what a typical kid from the past 20 or so years have said.

"'Called the University'? The University? UND is THE university? But I thought NDSU was a University? Why is UND THE university and NDSU is not?"

Why not avoid all that all together and use "And they call it UND"? It fits phonetically. It rhymes and it leaves no question who the outhouse on the prairie is that we are referring to.

Man I hate bye weeks.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

Here's the confusion. This might be what a typical kid from the past 20 or so years have said.

"'Called the University'? The University? UND is THE university? But I thought NDSU was a University? Why is UND THE university and NDSU is not?"

Why not avoid all that all together and use "And they call it UND"? It fits phonetically. It rhymes and it leaves no question who the outhouse on the prairie is that we are referring to.

Man I hate bye weeks.
    The song was likely composed prior to 1959.

With our current success the song has migrated nicely to be used for most FBS teams.

Agreed. Bye weeks suck.
    Rock

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --- Benjamin Franklin

Man I hate bye weeks.
    You are over thinking something that doesnt need to be. If you look at the original version its pretty self explanatory. But to help you---its not---and they call it university. Its short and simple---call it university. Which implies a dig at that institution.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    You are over thinking something that doesnt need to be. If you look at the original version its pretty self explanatory. But to help you---its not---and they call it university. Its short and simple---call it university. Which implies a dig at that institution.
    In all reality, what you know is not the original version. It's merely the version you know, much like the subsequent versions that are learned by each generation.

Quote Originally Posted by ndsustudent89 View Post
    Ok then...who wants to post the "correct" version of that song. I too have heard many different versions while I was in school.
    Oh, boy. I've been waiting for someone to ask for this.

The year was 1904 and Percy Montrose's 87.87D trochaic meter American western folk ballad, "Oh My Darling, Clementine" ,which was released in 1884, was gaining popularity once again on the US Billboard charts after being re-released as a B-side on the Haydn Quartet's "Bedelia". Long before NDAC became NDSU and before the marching band head earned their gold star, a rather astute NDAC marching band piccolo trombonist, Cornellius Rufus Bernard III, became enamored with the song. He had listened to the song so many times that he would create his own lyrics and tell other tales with the meter of "Oh My Darling, Clementine".

As an attempt to placate the students and alumni who were outraged and rioting due to the NDAC nickname changing from the Farmers to the Aggies, Cornellius created a song in hopes that it would become a unifying battle cry in which all of NDAC, past and present, drunk and sober, could attempt to sing. Thusly, he created the following classic:

On the north plains of Dakota
    There standing for all to see
    Layeth an abandoned outhouse
    That they call The University.
    Hail the Aggies, Hail the Aggies
    Horse's tails up in the air.
    University, University
    You can kiss what's under there.

Obviously some of the students still preferred just using 'Dakota' instead of the correct name of the already 15 year old state. Most likely this was due to their parents still calling it Dakota Territory.
    Last edited by Bisonguy; 09-14-2012 at 11:59 PM.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonguy View Post
    In all reality, what you know is not the original version. It's merely the version you know, much like the subsequent versions that are learned by each generation.

Oh, boy. I've been waiting for someone to ask for this.

The year was 1904 and Percy Montrose's 87.87D trochaic meter American western folk ballad, "Oh My Darling, Clementine" ,which was released in 1884, was gaining popularity once again on the US Billboard charts after being re-released as a B-side on the Haydn Quartet's "Bedelia". Long before NDAC became NDSU and before the marching band head earned their gold star, a rather astute NDAC marching band piccolo trombonist, Cornellius Rufus Bernard III, became enamored with the song. He had listened to the song so many times that he would create his own lyrics and tell other tales with the meter of "Oh My Darling, Clementine".

As an attempt to placate the students and alumni who were outraged and rioting due to the NDAC nickname changing from the Farmers to the Aggies, Cornellius created a song in hopes that it would become a unifying battle cry in which all of NDAC, past and present, drunk and sober, could attempt to sing. Thusly, he created the following classic:

On the north plains of Dakota
    There standing for all to see
    Layeth an abandoned outhouse
    That they call The University.
    Hail the Aggies, Hail the Aggies
    Horse's tails up in the air.
    University, University
    You can kiss what's under there.

Obviously some of the students still preferred just using 'Dakota' instead of the correct name of the already 15 year old state. Most likely this was due to their parents still calling it Dakota Territory.
    Until someone who played before my time comes up and tells me---this is the way we sang it, I will go with the version I learned.
    For some reason after all these years that hasnt happened.

Here is the version I learned (started school in 2004)

On the plains of North Dakota standing there for all to see,
    Is an old abandoned outhouse and they call it UND.
    Hail the Bison, hail the bison, with their tails up in the air.
    University, University, you can kiss what's under there!

This version combines "UND" and "university" to both show homage to tradition and clear up confusion between university (und) and state (ndsu) for those minds that may have lost one too many brain cells at Chub's (killdeerbison?). Any way you sing it, I think the message is fairly clear :thumbup:

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    You Gotsta Love Those BISON!