Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about Driving to Ft. Collins

17>1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Questions about Driving to Ft. Collins

We're going south to Nebraska. Staying the night in Kearney on Friday. Waking up Saturday AM and driving the last 5 hours to Cheyenne and down to FC.
    8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17>1

Quote Originally Posted by Rynomite View Post
    Mapqwest gives two good routes to travel from Fargo to Ft. Collins. Each way supposedly about 13 hrs. Would it be smart to drive south down I29 through SD or West through western ND and deal with a lot of traffic? Which way would actually be quicker in relation to speed limits?

New Guy
    We are going west rather than south. For what it is worth we lived in Colorado while pops was in the Air Force and this was the way we always took I believe(don't quote me on that). I'll talk to him tomorrow and confirm, I just figure since we are taking the west route that he has his shit together as far as that goes.
    Stu Whitney@stuwhitney4mSurprised Harvard missed out. MT @AllHailTank: Well I guess I got watt I wonted I will take my talents and higher my education at UND.
    LAKESBISON 3/4/2006-4/15/2011 Forever in our hearts

Former representative of 3rd Floor Johnson
    Current representative of 12 St. N Fargo

Driving from Bismarck to Rapid City, via the shortcut north of New Underwood, SD. Then, driving the east side of the Black hills to Chadron, Nebraska, Scottsbluff, Nebraska, then Cheyenne, WY, and into Fort Collins. Doing it for the scenery and some stops (like Scottsbluff --- going to get a photo on top with the Bison championship flag).

On the way back, up through Cheyenne, the west side of the Black Hills, Spearfish, Belfield, Dickinson to Bismarck.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    This!! I have driven Lusk cut-across several times. I'd go through the BHills. Shorter, a little slower, but less miles and better scenery more than make up for it. Actually, taking 22 south out of Dickinson ( which turns into 79 in Sodak) is the best route. U end up east of Sturgis a bit and head southeast through Sturgis, Deadwood and Leed and you are on way to sheep, antelope, Lusk and cut-across.
    That's the route I'd take too when not stopping to visit folks in Bowman - 79 takes you through the Slim Buttes and by Bear Butte.

I'm going to go north on I29 then 19th ave to the airport, hope I don't hit any bad weather on 19th
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    This!! I have driven Lusk cut-across several times. I'd go through the BHills. Shorter, a little slower, but less miles and better scenery more than make up for it. Actually, taking 22 south out of Dickinson ( which turns into 79 in Sodak) is the best route. U end up east of Sturgis a bit and head southeast through Sturgis, Deadwood and Leed and you are on way to sheep, antelope, Lusk and cut-across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But as we were talking about the other day CAS, SD route 79 is a bit risky at night because of the wildlife. There is a stretch of about 100 miles of NOTHING!!!! Which means no artificial lighting.

I've made that drive 30+ times and it is by far the quickest route from Fargo to Rapid City. Fill up on gas and get a bag of Twizzlers in Dickinson or New England because it gets terribly remote between there and Newell, SD (literally 150 miles with little more than the one building town of Reva inbetween).

The plus side to this desolate route is that I wouldn't worry about speed and five-0. It's a great place to find out where your vehicles governs out at and can cut down on travel time tremendously.

We depart tonight at dusk. Get into foco tomorrow morning. I have no idea how we are getting there and i havent even packed a bag. All i know is that we're gonna see some.serious shit.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by grizlandbisonfan View Post
    I've made that drive 30+ times and it is by far the quickest route from Fargo to Rapid City. Fill up on gas and get a bag of Twizzlers in Dickinson or New England because it gets terribly remote between there and Newell, SD (literally 150 miles with little more than the one building town of Reva inbetween).

The plus side to this desolate route is that I wouldn't worry about speed and five-0. It's a great place to find out where your vehicles governs out at and can cut down on travel time tremendously.
    Until you hit an antelope
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

GOB1SON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

There are 3 or 4 nice options to travel from Fargo.

Interstate is fastest, no doubt.

If you like scenery, the Black Hills are the way to go.

For speed + scenery I would go either S of Dickinson or Belfield but end up in Spearfish (if going S of Dickinson, you will have to take the cut across (hwy 168 from 79 over to 85) as it is shorter than going into Newell and over to Belle). From Spearfish, take I-90 W to Sundance, then WY 585 S back to US 85 just N of Sundance. The roads are good and you will get into some very nice country North of Newcastle.

Or, if you have time, take the Spearfish Canyon road S out of Spearfish. It is slow, but if you haven't ever driven it, it is really cool. This keeps you on 85. It will take some time to get from Spearfish to Newcastle.

Or you can cut across the Southern Hills as previously suggested on 16 or 18 or 20. 20 is probably the fastest as it is the flatest. You can stay on 20 all the way to I-25 or turn S at Lusk and and drive through Torrington. If you do head west from Lusk and take interstate S, make sure to spot Laramie Peak West of I-25.

Another less popular option is to take Interstate 90 over to Murdo and go S on 83. Two lane road, but some pretty nice scenery as you head through S SD into Valentine. South of Valentine make sure you have a spare tire and something to drink because the sandhills are pretty desolate. You will come out on I-80 in N. Platte NE and it is an easy hitch over to Cheyenne. We go this way once in awhile, it isn't as fast as interstate, but it is shorter and it is usually faster than dealing with the hills.