Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about Driving to Ft. Collins

Default Questions about Driving to Ft. Collins

Mapqwest gives two good routes to travel from Fargo to Ft. Collins. Each way supposedly about 13 hrs. Would it be smart to drive south down I29 through SD or West through western ND and deal with a lot of traffic? Which way would actually be quicker in relation to speed limits?

New Guy

Default Re: Questions about Driving to Ft. Collins

Quote Originally Posted by Rynomite View Post
    Mapqwest gives two good routes to travel from Fargo to Ft. Collins. Each way supposedly about 13 hrs. Would it be smart to drive south down I29 through SD or West through western ND and deal with a lot of traffic? Which way would actually be quicker in relation to speed limits?

New Guy
    Through nebraska would be the way I would go. The last few times ive gone to denver we have gone through the black hills and wy. I am not a fan of the black hills at night. Though it has been winter the last few times for me.
    National Champions: '65 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17 '18 '19 '21

We are going through Western ND don't exactly know which way is quicker but from what I've heard the preferred route is that way.
    COACH BOHL: We have a great, rich tradition at North Dakota State. The school has won eight National Championships in football. And so we've got a lot of pride, not only with these guys ‑‑ and D.J. alluded to it ‑‑ Bison pride. That goes all the way back to the '60s, I believe 1965.

Was wondering this myself...

Nebraska sucks...
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.

Myself, Im not sure how you could beat going through Nebraska to Cheyenne to Fort Collins. Interstate 100% of the way (even though it may be a hair longer) -- not sure about any road construction. Now if you want scenery, there are better ways to go...
    Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)

If you hit SD/WY in the daylight that's a pretty good road, it's curvy in WY but not too bad, driven it a few times going to my brother's place in eastern and south central WY. Night is kind of bad as there tends to be a lot of wildlife along the road, but that probably can be said of either route, all interstate would most likely have less probability of wildlife making a dent, literally, in your plans.

Further review looking at your post, going through SD probably isn't the best you waste a lot of miles coming back up to Rapid City and you still have to drive through the Black Hills, at least on the first route shown here the only "less traveled road" is for 27.4 miles and that road isn't as bad as 85 through the Black Hills.

Map Here

Quote Originally Posted by bri-dog View Post
    Myself, Im not sure how you could beat going through Nebraska to Cheyenne to Fort Collins. Interstate 100% of the way (even though it may be a hair longer) -- not sure about any road construction. Now if you want scenery, there are better ways to go...
    120 miles longer than the main route I posted. Pretty much worth it. Even if you can average 10 mph faster (unlikely) that's well over an hour difference. But all interstate may be worth it to some people.

Forgot to mention 94 in western ND isn't too bad, 85 might be a little bit until you get to bowman most of the traffic issues you hear about are north of 94 up by Watford City/Williston area.

New Map

Forgot to add the cut across to interstate at Lusk definitely better than driving 85 almost all the way to Cheyenne adds another 20 miles but still 100 miles less than all interstate or trying to cut through SD in a logical manner.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    New Map

Forgot to add the cut across to interstate at Lusk definitely better than driving 85 almost all the way to Cheyenne adds another 20 miles but still 100 miles less than all interstate or trying to cut through SD in a logical manner.
    This!! I have driven Lusk cut-across several times. I'd go through the BHills. Shorter, a little slower, but less miles and better scenery more than make up for it. Actually, taking 22 south out of Dickinson ( which turns into 79 in Sodak) is the best route. U end up east of Sturgis a bit and head southeast through Sturgis, Deadwood and Leed and you are on way to sheep, antelope, Lusk and cut-across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Lots of good tips! Thanks everyone!
    Rynomite

Getting way to obsessed with Bison Football since 2008.