Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Band update

Default Re: Band update

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post

I am also back on my rant that the anthem should be performed by students or very special guests, not faculty. The performance factors of the college football experience are about showcasing student talents. Coach Bohl doesn't tackle anyone. The coordinators don't throw any passes. The band director doesn't play an instrument. So why are we being subjected to anyone but students performing the national anthem.

If we have football players talented enough to sing the anthem and do a commendable job, then I know we have students on this campus capable of showcasing our student talents.

I put performing in front of 18k+ people akin to any engineering project or ag Econ project necessary for graduation, as well, if you are a music performance major or grad student.
    10000x this. Well put!
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

I think for a school that doesn't have much of a focus on music majors, the fine arts and marching band programs are very good.

I am also back on my rant that the anthem should be performed by students or very special guests, not faculty. The performance factors of the college football experience are about showcasing student talents. Coach Bohl doesn't tackle anyone. The coordinators don't throw any passes. The band director doesn't play an instrument. So why are we being subjected to anyone but students performing the national anthem.

If we have football players talented enough to sing the anthem and do a commendable job, then I know we have students on this campus capable of showcasing our student talents.

I put performing in front of 18k+ people akin to any engineering project or ag Econ project necessary for graduation, as well, if you are a music performance major or grad student.
    Or it could be the double-whammy and have a guy on the team do the anthem a la Mike Fairbairn. Andrew Okland is a pretty big music guy, not?
    Official Bisonville Sponsor of:
    DJKyRo-brand® self-deprecating humor; Bird law; Pureyor of spicy foods; Epic UN_ predictions
    DJKyRo's all-time GDT record: 10-8
    Don't follow me on Twitter @kroth37!

KTF is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think for a school that doesn't have much of a focus on music majors, the fine arts and marching band programs are very good.

Actually Warren Olfert, though not marching band director, is a highly accomplished trombone player and has played with many symphonies throughout the nation. Singing the national anthem is not an overly difficult song, the only difficulty in singing it in the dome is that 1 second delay between the band and you and what you hear on the floor versus what comes out the PA. Dr. Olfert actaully mouthes the words ahead of time to the singer.

Vocal and instrumental majors have senior recitals instead where they present a multitude of different styles of songs possibly in different ranges with different styles to show everything they know. This is much more challenging and a true representation of ones training then singing at a football game.

Then if the answer is it isn't all that difficult or challenging, then any excuse our music majors can't do this would be an empty argument. I want to hear and see students providing all the game day performances.

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I was in the band 01-07, used it to get out of the engineering buildings and keep sane. Stipends didn't start until my last year or so, I asked for back pay and the Olfert said it would be too expensive. Don't regret a minute of it, actually the part of college I miss most. There is a lot of truth in a lack of field bands in the region. I'm from Jamestown and was lucky enough to be born in the right year that I marched in the Orange parade and Rose parade. My older sister did the Macy's Thanksgiving. After the Rose I think our director considered his life complete, JHS marching has never been the same. Can't blame him, he did a ton of work to get there. I know Bismarck had a good program at the time, don't know where they're at now. Had a few really good people from Prior Lake, MN in my years. Around a quarter of the band had never marched before. Camp was a little more work for them but for the most part they did fine.

KTF is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Then if the answer is it isn't all that difficult or challenging, then any excuse our music majors can't do this would be an empty argument. I want to hear and see students providing all the game day performances.
    I am giving information and not arguing the point of students not singing. Yes I would like to see more but realize that not all students are highly motivated to request this. I personally believe that it is a political behind the scenes issue that we will never know about as well as an event for the faculty to perform at to provide them outlets to keep skills (as remedial as it is)

My coworkers son is a music major at michigan state, the music department is not associated with the marching band. The MB is part of the athletic department. If and when the NDSU athletic dept takes the band over, I would expect to continue to see up and downs with the size and funding for the program.

As far as giving directly to the band, ask those friendly NDSU students that call from the foundation if you can give to the band once, I think you will be surprised by the answer. I have been trying for years, it is impossible, everything goes to the general fund. I don't know of any special way to give to the band.

Quote Originally Posted by KTF View Post
    I am giving information and not arguing the point of students not singing. Yes I would like to see more but realize that not all students are highly motivated to request this. I personally believe that it is a political behind the scenes issue that we will never know about as well as an event for the faculty to perform at to provide them outlets to keep skills (as remedial as it is)

My coworkers son is a music major at michigan state, the music department is not associated with the marching band. The MB is part of the athletic department. If and when the NDSU athletic dept takes the band over, I would expect to continue to see up and downs with the size and funding for the program.

As far as giving directly to the band, ask those friendly NDSU students that call from the foundation if you can give to the band once, I think you will be surprised by the answer. I have been trying for years, it is impossible, everything goes to the general fund. I don't know of any special way to give to the band.
    I know you weren't arguing. I forgot to mention this was the excuse of the music department when I first contacted them about students singing three years ago. They said the faculty performances were needed as an example of music performance to students.

I will request another review of this policy until it is changed. I will keep people apprised of my efforts as there might someday be an explanation that reflects the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by KTF View Post

You can contact Dr. Sigurd Johnson and he will for sure figure out how to take donations...

Or, talk to somebody from Tau Beta Sigma as they run some fundraisers for the band.

Never thought about that, but I 100% agree.

I went to Arizona State for grad school...and was around the SDSU Band a lot while I taught in Brookings. He are some differences that I see.

1. Big music major enrollment. One of their feature programs at the university.
    2. Both bands take their own trips. Examples...Tournament of Roses Parade, 3 inaugurations, Packers & Vikings halftime shows, and more. SDSU typically goes to a Vikings 'and' a Packers game each year.
    3. Area high schools are heavy into marching band. The Brookings area is all about marching band competitions. I had 350 kids in the Brookings Marching Band...almost half the student body. So the kids that they get have many years of heavy marching experience. They don't need to be taught the fundamentals. Some of their high school bands are better than university marching bands. Sioux Falls Lincoln is one of the best bands I've ever seen, at any level. These kids come to SDSU to extend their marching band years. They breathe fire and love it.
    4. The student government gives a huge budget to the SDSU Band every year. I've attended one of the meetings where the band director submits a budget to the student government...they vote...and the cash flows in. It pays for their uniforms, equipment, upkeep, and one or two trips out of town.
    5. Band directors recruit band students with a fistfull of scholarships every year.
    6. The bands exist for themselves first...and see marching at football games as being an opportunity to show their band swagger.
    7. The huge music major population has to be involved a minimum of 2 years at ASU (400+ members)...gradudate students are paid big-time scholarships to be there...at SDSU they simply 'are' involved. And they love it. Great pride.

NDSU hired a gunslinger to be president a while back. We wouldn't be where we are now without him. We knew that we'd hired a gunslinger. We loved what he did. UND politicians told the media that he was acting like a gunslinger. And in the end we said..."oh my...I guess we have a gunslinger...he's gotta go."

Still...the Gold Star Band appears to be on the way to big things. The director is doing a great job.

PS - Growth in the band means tens of thousands in more uniforms. Approximately one-third of the uniform inventory stays in the closet each year because of fitting issues...and...students are getting bigger and bigger each year. It's a remarkable phenomenon.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.