Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sports for your kids

Default Re: Sports for your kids

I have a 3yo girl and I would like to see her play Volleyball, basketball. Right now all she want to play with is my football. She love to tackle and run with the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTeacher View Post
    Our lives pretty much revolve around sports. Watching, playing and coaching. The wife too. I wake up on Saturday mornings and she already has college gameday on.

Because of this I would find it hard to believe that my little boy would not be involved in sports somehow. As long as hes involved I will support him in pretty much anything. Even hockey...although...Im gonna do my darndest to steer him from teh hockies. Everyone already pointed out some of the more glaring reasons, costs, times etc....but also...HOCKEY PARENTS. I know there are crazy parents in every sport...but from what I have seen...there are a lot more in hockey. And no offense...I don't feel like spending the weekend sitting next to some meathead hockey parent.

I really hope the boy gets into basketball. I think hes gonna be pretty small so football may not be an option unless hes a kicker or fast as heck (with my genes...probably not). I would be ok with baseball or soccer too. Tennis would be ok. Swimming would be ok as long as mommy takes him...those natatoriums can be unbearable to sit in.

The important thing is that your kids are involved in something. Drama, Yearbook, lego league, Band or sports. Seriously...big picture wise...being involved makes a big difference. I see it every day. (14 years teaching/coaching) Do me a favor though...as your kids get older...be real with them about Varsity sports and playing time. Yes...at younger ages...everyone plays...but as they get older and depending on the sport, this changes. You would be amazed how many complaints I get about that...and its usually by the parent of a kid who is not very good. Teach your kid they have to earn it by working hard and getting better. Most parents today think playing time is owed to them because of money they have spent or years in the program.

Even if your kid isn't that great...there is always a place. Manager, Stat, Video. There is some way they can be involved...and a good coach will find a spot. it just may not be on the field. And most kids today aren't prepared for that conversation because their parents think they are just as good as everyone else.

I kind of went off on a tangent there (thread drift). I will step down from my soapbox.

Cue TABS, Tatanka, or Izzy in 3,2,1.....
    Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbear99 View Post
    I have a 3yo girl and I would like to see her play Volleyball, basketball. Right now all she want to play with is my football. She love to tackle and run with the ball.
    That's cause she can run right over you. And will laugh as you are tumbling to the ground insuring her landing is a soft landing.
    Rock

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --- Benjamin Franklin