Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sports for your kids

mebisonII is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Sports for your kids

A spin-off from the other thread about favorite sports, inspired by a conversation I overheard between a couple guys at the gym:

-If you have kids, what sports do they play?

-What sports do you want your (current or future) kids to play?

-If you were an athlete in a particular sport, how excited/disappointed were you when your kid did/didn't take up your sport?

Default Re: Sports for your kids

I would like my daughters to play volleyball or tennis, swimming and softball or golf, depending on which they like best.

I played baseball and tennis in high school, so I do hope they choose to play softball. If they don't choose to play tennis or golf in an organized capacity, that would be ok, as they could still participate on their own. I think volleyball and swimming would be fun to watch, so that is my preference there.

If I ever have a son, I would hope he plays football, hockey and baseball...But because of safety concerns, I wouldn't mind soccer, swimming and baseball.
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.

My kid is allowed to play anything except men's softball....
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

My daughters can play what they want but we will do everything possible to steer them away from hockey. I have watched friends put kids through it. We have no desire for the crazy practice times, tournaments each weekend, heck just about all year around, all the travel and the cost to participate. I have personally seen and dealt with far to many concussions and long term concussion symptoms in hockey players. Now that is more boys than girls though in my experience.

Now knowing my wife and I, I do not believe our children will have to worry about excelling in sports. but I guess you never know.

mebisonII is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    My daughters can play what they want but we will do everything possible to steer them away from hockey. I have watched friends put kids through it. We have no desire for the crazy practice times, tournaments each weekend, heck just about all year around, all the travel and the cost to participate. I have personally seen and dealt with far to many concussions and long term concussion symptoms in hockey players. Now that is more boys than girls though in my experience.

Now knowing my wife and I, I do not believe our children will have to worry about excelling in sports. but I guess you never know.
    This is definitely true for us, too. I'm open to my kids playing just about anything, but would encourage away from the heavy-hitting contact sports, because of safety concerns given the physique our kids will inherit from us (my wife I *combined* would be below average weight for the NDSU o-line).

I would also encourage my kids to try out a couple sports and activities that tend to still be popular and easy to participate in as adults. I've always kind of wished I played tennis or golf, as those seem like good ways to get out and be active and meet people (ok, so golf is questionable on that 'be active' thing). For the same reason, I would certainly encourage running. Good exercise, there are usually running groups about anywhere, and it doesn't need to cost more than a good pair of shoes.

I've heard the costs of some of these sports lately, and it boggles my mind. People are talking about spending thousands of dollars on hockey mini-campus and soccer leagues and I can't quite comprehend that. I think its gone up a lot since I was a kid. Or I just never knew what my parents spent. Or, I just stunk at sports, so my parents didn't enroll me in anything that cost money

My golden rule that is enforced with my kids is that they can play whatever sports they want but they are not allowed to quit mid-season. That's not fair to the team and a commitment is a commitment.

My daughter played basketball for a few years in Junior High but never really got interested. Her class was LOADED with superb athletes.

My son is 14 and has played organized baseball, football, and basketball. He absolutely loves to golf. The Spring is difficult because he gets pulled by the different groups of friends to either golf or play baseball. He's pretty darn good at both so the pressure is there. So far, baseball has always won. I don't know what he will decide next Spring. The decison is his. Basketball is a given. He really likes the game.

He decided not to play football this Fall and that bothers me a bit because he loves watching the game and he has the size and ability to do it well. Last night I watched our kids win handily and there were a handfull of players who didn't play a down. I don't understand coaches who don't have the brains to get kids on the field. I don't want to hear complaining a few years down the road when there aren't enough kids to field a team. It's hard to get them back once they give it up. BTW, there are 20 kids on the roster and I expect the numbers to get skinny with normal injuries and the normal amount of ineligibility issues that come up.

We have a hockey program here and I didn't actually ever say NO but I sure as heck didn't encourage it. Selfish? Yeah. I can live with it.

My daughter (she's almost 22 now) went to a private school here in Denver where they had to either play a sport or take a sucky PE class. She played field hockey for 3 years in middle school, and also tried basketball, soccer, and lacrosse. The only one she really liked was golf so she stuck with that and went to the state tournament her junior and senior years.

She now only has time to play the par-3 course once every week or two, but still shoots around 30-32 (par 27 obviously).
    Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all life's problems. (Homer Simpson)

If I ever have a son he will have a choice. He'll have to choose by the time he's three, but he can either be a left handed reliever, or a place kicker/punter.
    Some say it's a backward place. Narrow minds on a narrow way, but I make it a point to say. That that's where I come from.

My kids are well beyond the high school years, but they did play various sports.

My daughter swam from third grade through high school. It was a year round commitment that kept us buzy summer and winter. She eliminated soccer and any sport I could coach early in her athletic career. Now, she works out and does yoga when she can leave her job at the designated end of day.

My son left swimming to the fish and played baseball, football, wrestled, and was in the weights in track. He and his 'buddies' played 'youth leagues' for me in both football and baseball. He enjoyed having me as a coach even though I drove him harder than the other kids (no perception of any favoritism). He now is working on his shooting skills and has been working his ass of to get his body back after his ordeal from a couple of years back.

Both also skied for recreation when they had time in the winters.
    Rock

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --- Benjamin Franklin

my kids are still kids and participate in the 'sport of the season'. just started flag football.

i really don't care what sport they chose, but they'll be 'required' to stay active until they leave for college.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."