Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Sport and why?

mebisonII is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Favorite Sport and why?

As the thread title says, what is your favorite sport to watch, and why?

(a) Football (a1, college, a2, nfl)

(b) Some of the obvious (Explosive athleticism, big hits, etc), but also I think the different length "storylines" within the game draw me in. Watching for the outcome of each play, then also how that affects each drive, and then the overall game. There is a cumulative effect as teams get worn down and sloppy (see, NDSU's 4th quarter opponents during the last couple years), and yet at any time a big play can change the game.

I was thinking about this topic as I caught a little bit of a live rugby match, went to my first game at Target Field, and saw a little NFL pre-season (on TV) within the last week or so.

Default Re: Favorite Sport and why?

football.

college more for me. i like the real rivalry games on saturday night, the atmospheres, historic stadiums that hold 80,000-100,000 people that i've been too, tailgating...all of that more than the nfl.

i still watch the vikings. but they usually ruin my saturday/weekend.

basketball is next as ive watched the game all my life and it was really the only sport i played.. outside of watching the timberwolves lose, i watched more nba this year than i have in the last 10...so i look forward to getting into it more now that the wolves are gonna be playing for a playoff spot hopefully.

dont follow anything else

Football is #1. It's not even close. I like both NFL and college but I like college better because it's not being done solely for money. They love it. And there seems to be a bigger connection with your local college because they players come from your general regional area. There is more unity and brotherhood. I never played for the Bison but I grew up in Fargo and I went to school there.

Why do I like football? Total team sport. You can take the best 11 players on offense but if one guy fucks up and misses a block, the inferior team can win. I love the chess match aspect of football. I love how the little details make such a serious difference in the game. I love the physicality of it. I love the fact that you can be better by being more intense. I love the energy of a football game. Baseball and basketball have fun and crazy crowds, but football is just another level of intensity.

It's funny though because baseball is #2 on my list and it's not nearly as much as a team sport. Yes, you have some teamwork but generally speaking when a batter goes to bat, it's all him. The other 8 guys don't have much of an impact on his at bat. (except maybe the batting order you will see one player protect a player in the lineup.) Seems like baseball can have a team win solely on good pitching. (indivual performance) But that's one of the reasons I hate baseball as some of the teams buy the best players. But from a statistical standpoint, baseball is the best sport. Generally things are equal and much hasn't changed. McGwire could hit home runs in 1986 and in 2001. We know Bonds could play in '86 or in '07. (with or without roids but obviously better with them don't turn this into a roids discussion) Clemens could dominate in '84 or '07. We know that Kirby Puckett in his prime could still play today. We know that Nolan Ryan in his prime could still play today. We know that Nolan Ryan in 1970 could strike out A-Rod. The bottom line is it's just as rare today to see a guy throw 100 (with pinpoint accuracy) as it was 50 years ago. Now compare NFL players today vs 50 years ago. Physically the players are bigger, stronger, and faster. Take the Fridge... back then 335 pounds was insanely large and he was fat. Now 335 pounders in the NFL are the norm and they are slim! Allen Page played DT at 245 pounds. Now he would be an end. Heck the Bison dont have a DT at 245 lbs!
    Last edited by HerdBot; 08-20-2012 at 07:08 PM.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Hockey - because it is the world's most superior sport.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

Football is #1. However, the incessant commercials (especially on NFL games) is starting to really bother me. Televised college games really blow for the fans in attendance compared to non-televised games.

Baseball and hockey are both games that I like to watch live and in person. Kind of for different reasons. Hockey is non-stop action. Baseball is such a strategy game. Both suffer on TV more than football does.

DirecTv Major Championship Golf coverage is a good watch because you can avoid all the commercials.

1a. Football - I love the Bison and Vikings, having watched/listened to them since I can remember. There is something about watching a play develop that I love, which is one of the reasons I have sat in the south end zone since moving over from the student section. It is also by far, the most intense and exciting sport to watch in my opinion.

1b. Baseball - A lot of folks find baseball boring, but there is so much going on in the game that doesn't necessarily carry over to the field. I was a coaches son and what I may have lacked in talent (I was actually pretty good), I made up for with a lot of hard work and knowledge of the game. I still can see things that probably a lot of other folks can't when watching a game in person or on TV.
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.

LikeMothers is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

One thing I like about college football is the fact that there is a new team every year. No matter how much we like them, 25% of the guys are gone and they are usually playing the best they ever have when they move on. Each player only gets four tries to improve enough to be a starter or to earn a championship. After their first year they have to be looking over their shoulder at the new group of guys eager to take their spot. There's no downhill slide and staying past your welcome like in pro sports.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    Hockey - because it is the world's most superior sport.
    Hurumph!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

moosbah is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Football 1 - While I love college and pro football equally, the castration of defenses in the NFL has slightly soured my love of the professional game right now.

Baseball 1a - Gotta agree with aces1180 on this one. Baseball is truly a beautiful game that really gets lost on most sports fans if you don't appreciate subtle things. Many of the best things that happen on a baseball diamond are truly underappreciated. And NOTHING compares to a great baseball park. Football stadiums can be neat, but are never (IMO) artistic like ballparks.
    Sioux SUCK! It just has a nice ring to it.

R.I.P. CLC
    5/13/2012

Football - specifically college because of the atmosphere.

First post in my digs - it's a big milestone(d).
    check neg rep

Warning: It is the offseason. Trollolol may or may not be in full swing. Take a deep breath and eat a trolli burger before reading my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    I'm tired of seeing the old Belushi clip from Animal House..."over? it's not over..." in the waning seconds of another loss to NDSU.