Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Tryouts?

Default Open Tryouts?

OK, so NDSU is holding open tryouts for any interested female students, three weeks after pre-season started? Huh. I'm not sure what message this sends to the existing players, but this has potential to be a real morale-killer if not handled properly. I know what I thought when I read this. Generally walk-ons are identified much earlier in the process than after the season has started. Is there an historical precedence for this that I've just forgotten?

http://www.gobison.com//ViewArticle....CLID=205584819

Default Re: Open Tryouts?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Bard View Post
    OK, so NDSU is holding open tryouts for any interested female students, three weeks after pre-season started? Huh. I'm not sure what message this sends to the existing players, but this has potential to be a real morale-killer if not handled properly. I know what I thought when I read this. Generally walk-ons are identified much earlier in the process than after the season has started. Is there an historical precedence for this that I've just forgotten?
    What did you think when you read this? Made me think that NDSU doesn't have enough bodies for scrimmages or something.

If open tryouts is a morale-killer... well, there's a problem, but I don't think open tryouts is it.

They usually have these when the general student population reports to campus...Gives them a chance to find a diamond in the rough who slipped through the cracks...That's all there is to it. Typically, it has nothing to do with the performance or expected performance of the current squad.
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.

Kermit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by aces1180 View Post
    They usually have these when the general student population reports to campus...Gives them a chance to find a diamond in the rough who slipped through the cracks...That's all there is to it. Typically, it has nothing to do with the performance or expected performance of the current squad.
    Exactamundo.
    "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
    — John Wooden

The same thing is happening for volleyball. I think baseball and softball have tryouts also.

533 In a row

Kermit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    The same thing is happening for volleyball. I think baseball and softball have tryouts also.
    Even men's hoops. That is how Fred Newell originally got a spot as a practice player--and the rest is history.
    "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
    — John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    What did you think when you read this? Made me think that NDSU doesn't have enough bodies for scrimmages or something.

If open tryouts is a morale-killer... well, there's a problem, but I don't think open tryouts is it.
    What do I think when I read this?? Lets see when do classes start?? They certainly would not have open tryouts for NDSU Students much before classes start.
    Looks totally legit to me, for all sports.

Anyone heard how TABS' tryout went?....
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

I think golf's is coming up in a few days.

b15on is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    I think golf's is coming up in a few days.
    True that...Golf's the 24th. Soccer 21st. Volleyball 20th.