Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kolpack's article on Bresciani / Douple

Default Kolpack's article on Bresciani / Douple

Long-time reader here, first time poster. Haven't seen this article posted, where Bresciani basically admits he protected UND's President from Douple's allegations that UND asked that the Summit League come out agains the nickname.

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/eve.../group/Sports/

“It was during the heated exchange with the UND logo and he (Douple) got involved,” Bresciani said. “I don’t see why he got involved. I was trying to protect UND a little bit.”

Bresciani said he thought UND was getting beat up over the NCAA’s mandate that the school either get permission from the tribes to use the

Fighting Sioux nickname or retire it.

“It was not a big deal. I think he’s doing a good job,” Bresciani said of Douple this week.

Bresciani, in his annual review of Douple a year ago, said Douple brought “media attention to himself,” according to an email exchange between Douple and Michael Benson, president at Southern Utah University.

The emails, first disclosed by the North Dakota political website SayAnythingBlog.com, also quote Bresciani in his review of Douple as somebody who “knows very little about my staff” and doesn’t “have a sense of vision and direction.”

Won't Bresciani get into hot water from the legislators for admitting this?

Everyone knows that UND's leadership can't be trusted, but Bresciani's interview bascially confirms that UND pushed to get rid of the nickname, and that NDSU helped protect UND's deception.

Douple had come out for more than a year against the nickname, even before Bresciani became President. Bresciani had permitted Douple to be against the nickname until Douple accused Kelley for being duplicitous in the nickname issue.

Just reading that article made me sick: not only was UND deceiving legislators and the voters, but NDSU was involved in preventing the people from hearing the truth.

Why didn't Bresciani just say "no comment" or "I can't remember"? Guess Bresciani is honorable enough not to lie, but will it cost him and NDSU?

There was another article the day before where Bresciani said something to the effect that "there is no school with an interest in the Summit League". Doesn't that indicate that Douple isn't doing his job? A conference like the Summit League has to have at least 10 members in this day and time. If Oakland leaves, we'll be down to 8. Lose one more and doesn't the Summit lose it's autobids?

Just curious what others have to say. These articles have been out there for almost a week, so was shocked to find almost no discussion about them. Especially curious what some of posters like NDSUstudent and Hammersmith have to say, as they both seem to have a deep understand of NCAA rules.

Default Re: Kolpack's article on Bresciani / Douple

How was UND deceiving legislators? They told them they've wanted to retire it since the deadline for getting approval came? I think Bresciani was saying that he was telling Douple to lay off as UND (rival or not Bresciani is the closest (in the Summit) to the situation as anyone could be) was getting enough flack about the nickname issue that the Summit League didn't need to get involved in it too and possibly tarnish the Summit League image. UND had their own trouble with the NCAA at that point. At least that was how I read it? I don't know the article seems very weirdly worded not sure if it got diced up by the editor to fit into a space or if it was trying to slant it to the whole UND nickname or what.

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    How was UND deceiving legislators? They told them they've wanted to retire it since the deadline for getting approval came? I think Bresciani was saying that he was telling Douple to lay off as UND (rival or not Bresciani is the closest (in the Summit) to the situation as anyone could be) was getting enough flack about the nickname issue that the Summit League didn't need to get involved in it too and possibly tarnish the Summit League image. UND had their own trouble with the NCAA at that point. At least that was how I read it? I don't know the article seems very weirdly worded not sure if it got diced up by the editor to fit into a space or if it was trying to slant it to the whole UND nickname or what.
    Kelley had been asked several times, both by the press and by legislators, if he had been secretly leading a charge for the Summit and Big Sky to come out against the nickname. Kelley always denied that in the strongest terms. Kolpack's stories give two witnesses that indeed Kelley was lieing, at least about the Summit League.

Like I wrote earlier, Douple had been in the press about the Sioux nickname before Bresciani came and during Bresciani's term. Whenever the press wanted a quote from Douple about the nickname, Douple gave it. But when Douple turned against UND and said that UND wanted him to be against the nickname, that's when Bresciani put a stop to Douple talking.

It can't be any other way, because Bresciani never shut Douple up until the original Kolpack story which stated that UND asked Douple to come out against the nickname. The Grand Forks Herald practically crucified Kolpack and Douple for that story, as it rushed to defend their precious Kelley. The Grand Forks Herald editors are just political hacks - protecting Kelley at the cost of what is true. Kolpack's (as well as Douple's ) crediblity was called into question by the Herald, so when a piece of information came out that further confirmed Kolpack's original story, Kolpack jumped on it, as any good journalist should do.

Ah figured out where you were coming from. As far as Kelley goes. But why would this be different from any other "politics" that's what it's all about is who the better liar is. To me this was just a weird article, the nickname is done and over... UND is in the Big Sky and probably permanently so until something big happens that causes an upheaval. I guess I don't read too much into it. And the fact that there are only a few quoted sentencs from Bresciani are we getting the whole point of his "quotes"?

dean B and stephanie goetz fargos glamour couple according to that pulizer prize winning author robert j morast...my oh my do i miss that dude wow what a writer...somebody needs to e-mail that turn coat detlef schremf and tell him if guys like morast are moving up in that industry he needs to see the writing on the wall and either a. retire or b. step up to the summit and quit hatin on them bison

Sure seem like Rob Port figured out how to get registered. Or maybe one of his avid readers. Welcome to the board.

This story was triggered by one of Portly's blogs where he made some incredible leaps to try create a conspiracy. Yeah, Bresciani made a few negative comments on Douple's performance evaluation about Douple interjecting himself (and the Summit) into political issues. Douple's the one who should have said "no comment". Douple's also the "Employee" who should have kept his nose out of trying to find out which President said something negative about him on supposedly "confidential" performance input. Count me as unimpressed with this clown. Give him one more chance then show him the door if he botches anything else.

It was talked about in a thread but I can't remember the one. I remember one of our SDSU friends spending a lot of time defending Douple.

The OP sounds a lot like a nickname supporter who wants to grind on Kelley and drag NDSU and Bresciani into the mess again. That's typical and expected I guess. The MO never seems to change.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    The OP sounds a lot like a nickname supporter who wants to grind on Kelley and drag NDSU and Bresciani into the mess again. That's typical and expected I guess. The MO never seems to change.
    Wow, suspicious, aren't we? Using "we" because, holy cow, how does somebody go from "Bresciani gave Douple a negative review for bringing too much attention to himself and for disapproving of his vision for the Summit" to "UND asked Bresciani to tell the Summit to say UND had to get rid of the nickname?" Moreover, how does somebody conclude that the Legislature might punish NDSU for doing something that UND asked them to do?

Soooo, Bresciani really must have put the screws to the Big Sky to get them to say pretty much exactly the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    The sounds a lot like a nickname supporter who wants to grind on Kelley and drag NDSU and Bresciani into the mess again. That's typical and expected I guess. The MO never seems to change.
    I'm pretty sure if someone wanted to explore the bowels that are the grand forks herald comment sections you'd find the op, likely more than once.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Rob Port is staring at this thread the same way he stares at a DQ Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    I'm pretty sure if someone wanted to explore the bowels that are the grand forks herald comment sections you'd find the op, likely more than once.
    Maybe.

I just want to get this straight so I get through the Rob Port Crypto-Babble correctly:

1. Douple said that the Summit wouldn't take UND until the nickname issue was resolved.
    2. Douple did that because Bresciani pressured him to get involved.
    3. Bresciani pressured Douple to get involved because UND asked him to do so.
    4. After Douple does what Bresciani demands, Bresciani turns around and gives him a bad review.

Makes perfect sense... to Rob Port.