Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Griz football, rapists, The Big Sky and UND.......

The big sky is like a public toilet with swirling turds. Which one will stick? The fighting pooh have a chance.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Griz football, rapists, The Big Sky and UND.......

Someone in this arguement sounds like darrell1976, I just can't figure out which one he is exactly.....

#5 FOREVER "NOTORIOUS"

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    Try reading comprehension 101. I didn't say USD was so good. I said they couldn't have been so pitiful with the wins they had. There's a difference.

Our 2007 record of 10-1 was highly overrated (pretty weak competition). I think the 2006 team played a tougher schedule overall. I'm not sure we beat ANYBODY in 2007 who was very good (actually CMU was very good). Were there any FCS playoff teams that we beat? Does any of that give you a clue as to why we struggled in 2008 and 2009? We lost a LOT of important players from that 2007 squad and replaced them with people who flat out didn't perform. I'm simply saying that the full conference schedule played a part in the struggle but it went WAY deeper than that.

There's a big difference between NDSU's move to the MVFC and UND's move to the Big Sky. NDSU was putting a weaker team on the field in 2008 than they had in 2007 and stepping into a tough conference. UND is going to put a better team on the field in 2012 than they had in 2011 and the conference they are entering is not nearly as deep as the MVFC. (All opinion on my part but I'll stand by it).
    2006 was a great team.

I dont think the 2007 schedule was the greatest either but we were good enough to make a playoff run. We soundly beat 2 FBS teams. But when you need comebacks thats not a good indicator

I think our 2008 team was better than their record. We got a dose of a tough conference and lacked depth. . If you remember we lost 3 games by 1 score and SDSU had to try a ballsy 2 point conversation. That team was only a few plays away from going 9-2 or 8-3. Has SDSU not gone for the 2 point conversion we would have legitimately had a shot at the playoffs at 7-4.

Now the 2009 team just flat out sucked. Bad coaching. Bad players. Bad luck. Injuries like Ive never seen.

Und will be bringing in a better team. Yes. But its easy to improve on a bad year.

I think we actually agree. I just like to rip kn UND more than you!

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Try reading comprehension 101. I didn't say USD was so good. I said they couldn't have been so pitiful with the wins they had. There's a difference.
    I don't think USD was bad or terrible last year, but they didn't have a lot of quality wins at all. Plus for some reason it's still almost impossible for them to win any game on the road. They are literally one of the worst road college football teams in the nation in the past 5 years.

You kind of had to figure that UND was gonna come back in that game last year with USD when the Yotes were up big in the 3rd quarter. I wasn't cheering for either team in particular, but I kind of had a feeling.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Quote Originally Posted by OrygunBison View Post
    Personally, I haven't really seen MSU as such a strong team as everyone else seems to. Ever since we poured the coal to them in their own place in '10, my opinion of their strength has certainly weakened. Combine that with their playoff performance last year and, well, I'm just not impressed.

Honestly, I think UND could win it. The Big Sky just isn't that good of a conference, particularly this year, and UND should be pretty solid. I can't think of one school in the BSC that I'd consider a solid wager on this year. They ALL have significant unknown components to their squads. Conversely, the MVFC has 2 or 3 teams that I'd probably count on making the post season.

Go Fighting Pioux!!!
    Well, if we start comparing other schools to NDSU, then everybody sucks.
    Official Bisonville Sponsor of:
    DJKyRo-brand® self-deprecating humor; Bird law; Pureyor of spicy foods; Epic UN_ predictions
    DJKyRo's all-time GDT record: 10-8
    Don't follow me on Twitter @kroth37!

Montana has had a lot of issues this offseason but IMO they will be in the hunt for the BSC title. They need to replace most of their defense but they are a FCS team that reloads.

If UND comes in and pounds the ball, passes off of the running game and plays good hard-nose defense they will do just fine in the BSC.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator View Post
    I don't think USD was bad or terrible last year, but they didn't have a lot of quality wins at all. Plus for some reason it's still almost impossible for them to win any game on the road. They are literally one of the worst road college football teams in the nation in the past 5 years.

You kind of had to figure that UND was gonna come back in that game last year with USD when the Yotes were up big in the 3rd quarter. I wasn't cheering for either team in particular, but I kind of had a feeling.
    Isn't it funny that even though USD sucks on the road they beat the Gophers at TCF Bank Stadium? I love it.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    Isn't it funny that even though USD sucks on the road they beat the Gophers at TCF Bank Stadium? I love it.
    I love it as well! Considering the Goophs are 8-13 at home since TCF opened, they might want to think about going back in the dome.
    Unofficial Official President and Charter Member of the Paul Miller "Miller Time" Fan Club

If you leave tailgating hungry and thirsty, you're doing it wrong

I am so sick of the Bison already. Win this, win that, blah, blah, blah. I'd really, really like to know how they do it. I swear they have to be the luckiest sob's on the planet. Just sick of this bs, just fed up.

MN_BISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'm with Wyo on this one. The key point he is making involves the word "could". You are focusing on the past and using our experience as a gauge. Both are faulty reasoning. Their roster has been building for this year and the future. We constantly pooh pooh the argument that UND fans have where they say that if NDSU can do something, so can UND. Well, the opposite is true also. Just because we struggled initially in the MVFC, there is no guaranty that UND will have the same struggles in the BSC. I see a big difference in the depth of the conferences and the style of play.

Talking to some people who know talent, the opinion is that the roster in Grand Forks is pretty good. How that all gels remains to be seen. They had two glaring weaknesses last season. QB play was weak and inconsistent (they think that is solved) and their secondary was horrible (They are hopeful that is no longer the case). The second weakness, if not plugged, will kill them in the conference so that is a major wildcard in what Wyo postulated above. (there's my five dollar word for the day).

I looked at their schedule a while ago but looking at the 10 D1 games, I counted 2 as sure losses (SDSU, MSU), 3 as toss ups (EWU, UM, and PSU), and the 5 others as games where a UND fans should expect a win (can't remember all of the opponents but SUU, Poly, UNC, NAU come to mind). Could they get to 7 D1 wins? I wouldn't bet on it but I wouldn't put a lot of money against it either.

Bottom line for me is to stay out of trash talking with UND fans about how humbled they are going to be. There's just too much that we don't know.
    If you read my post I do say it could happen although I don't believe it will in year one. I could win PowerBall tomorrow night too, maybe I'll go out and buy an Aston Martin today. I brought NDSU up because we did play in the same conference, GWC, as UND and had pretty good success and then things went south. You don't think NDSU was building their roster for the end of transition as you claim is UND's master plan? You are right though, I shouldn't compare the two becasue NDSU had success during their transition while things at UND have been, let's just say OK at best. What I remember being the big difference when stepping up to a better overall conference(tough games week in and week out) was depth and UND hasn't shown they have it in my opinion. How else do you explain how UND has struggled against poor teams. Outside of what turned out to be a very average Southern Utah team, what big wins do they have to talk about? I'm not saying that to rip on UND, but my guess as to why would be a lack of depth. So now all of the sudden they have it in year one of their BSC adventure? Sorry, but I'll have to see it to believe it. I have no doubt that UND has quality players but do they have enough of them to make it through a full season? It's not just about the top 22 guys, a team needs a hell of a lot more than that but again, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

As to your last paragraph, none of what I said was trash talking. I never said they suck, made reference to teh crazy speed or they'll be lucky to win against Rocko's School for Hair, I gave my opinion on what Wyo posted. How has the QB situation been solved by the way? By bringing in a kid from UNC who could no longer see the field, playing a JC transfer who struggled a lot last year or by a true freshman from DL? My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw all of UND's games last year and said they're not there yet talent wise and also saw Muss pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Quote Originally Posted by MN_BISON View Post
    If you read my post I do say it could happen although I don't believe it will in year one. I could win PowerBall tomorrow night too, maybe I'll go out and buy an Aston Martin today. I brought NDSU up because we did play in the same conference, GWC, as UND and had pretty good success and then things went south. You don't think NDSU was building their roster for the end of transition as you claim is UND's master plan? You are right though, I shouldn't compare the two becasue NDSU had success during their transition while things at UND have been, let's just say OK at best. What I remember being the big difference when stepping up to a better overall conference(tough games week in and week out) was depth and UND hasn't shown they have it in my opinion. How else do you explain how UND has struggled against poor teams. Outside of what turned out to be a very average Southern Utah team, what big wins do they have to talk about? I'm not saying that to rip on UND, but my guess as to why would be a lack of depth. So now all of the sudden they have it in year one of their BSC adventure? Sorry, but I'll have to see it to believe it. I have no doubt that UND has quality players but do they have enough of them to make it through a full season? It's not just about the top 22 guys, a team needs a hell of a lot more than that but again, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

As to your last paragraph, none of what I said was trash talking. I never said they suck, made reference to teh crazy speed or they'll be lucky to win against Rocko's School for Hair, I gave my opinion on what Wyo posted. How has the QB situation been solved by the way? By bringing in a kid from UNC who could no longer see the field, playing a JC transfer who struggled a lot last year or by a true freshman from DL? My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw all of UND's games last year and said they're not there yet talent wise and also saw Muss pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.
    Hey, we probably don't really disagree. I've seen a lot of people saying good things about Poly and EWU. Last year, UND was probably the equal of both. UND played a nailbiter against Poly and I texted back and forth with a co-worker who was at the game (I was hunting since the Bison weren't home) and actually saw a bit of the game on the tube. UND likely would have won that game if they had changed QBs earlier. Probably comfortably too. Poly and EWU played a multiple OT game and I don't even remember who won.

Now, EWU is bringing in a SMU transfer at QB and UND is bringing one in from North Carolina. No idea how it will work out for either. The last SMU transfer to EWU was pretty successful.

Basically, anybody who can say that EWU or Poly could contend in the BSC, almost has to say the same for UND. The three were basically equals last season in comparable games. It's actually OK to admit that UND "could" be successful in the Sky. Nothing they do takes away from our success in the transition or what we've done since.