Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Athletic Recruits...an Amazing Story

Default Athletic Recruits...an Amazing Story

It appears that the Bison have really done something special with their scholarships and over-all recruiting efforts. With the recent verbal of Blake Sczepanski and other 'athletic' recruits...it certainly seems like the Bison will have an even more athletic 'look' about them within the next 2 or 3 years.

I think that when the coaching staff watched the Appalachian State-UMass championship game, they saw athleticism and quickness for ASU that would be really tough to deal with in a playoff run. It doesn't appear that ASU is going away anytime soon. Any serious contender for the title will have to have great athletes and quickness to 'counter' that kind of team. UMass and the other playoff teams weren't really in the same league athletically with Appalachian. It's still my opinion that the 2006 Bison team would have had a really good shot at the title...certainly better than UMass.

The recruiting attitude had to be "we need to find great athletes and get them here...and we'll worry about their position later." Rather than recruiting strictly for needs at specific positions, it looks like the priority became athleticism and quickness.

For sure...running back was a huge priority...and we're going to be 'loaded' there.

A very good friend of mine teaches in Stephen-Argyle, and his sons played ball there. Blake Sczepanski is the real deal...and a steal. He is a true diamond in the rough of 9-man football. He has star potential.

When we're eligible for the playoffs...we'll be ready and loaded. National Championship by 2010...write it down. We'll be as good as most DI programs by then. The only exceptions will be the 8 or 10 elite programs around the country in DI-A. No other program will have anything on the Bison.

And finally...the U of M will be using their crying towels after the Bison visit next fall. It won't even be close. That's why Taylor is having a hell of a time getting a schedule put together. No one wants to play us. We've gotten too good...too quickly...but most schools would give anything to have that problem.

The proof is in the recruiting. The sky is the limit.

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

Default Re: Athletic Recruits...an Amazing Story

The WAC ATTACK ...
    Proud sponsor of SAMBINIS ATHLETICS TFA and SAMBOS TRACK CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by sambini
    The WAC ATTACK ...

+++++++++++++++++++++

If things fall right, we may be getting the national champs in the Fargodome in 07! Then we'll really have a nice go at it.

Of course I have nothing to back this up, completely pulling it out of my ass so don't go there.

Quote Originally Posted by CaBisonFan
    It appears that the Bison have really done something special with their scholarships and over-all recruiting efforts. *With the recent verbal of Blake Sczepanski and other 'athletic' recruits...it certainly seems like the Bison will have an even more athletic 'look' about them within the next 2 or 3 years. *

I think that when the coaching staff watched the Appalachian State-UMass championship game, they saw athleticism and quickness for ASU that would be really tough to deal with in a playoff run. *It doesn't appear that ASU is going away anytime soon. *Any serious contender for the title will have to have great athletes and quickness to 'counter' that kind of team. *UMass and the other playoff teams weren't really in the same league athletically with Appalachian. *It's still my opinion that the 2006 Bison team would have had a really good shot at the title...certainly better than UMass.

The recruiting attitude had to be "we need to find great athletes and get them here...and we'll worry about their position later." *Rather than recruiting strictly for needs at specific positions, it looks like the priority became athleticism and quickness. *

For sure...running back was a huge priority...and we're going to be 'loaded' there. *

A very good friend of mine teaches in Stephen-Argyle, and his sons played ball there. *Blake Sczepanski is the real deal...and a steal. *He is a true diamond in the rough of 9-man football. *He has star potential.

When we're eligible for the playoffs...we'll be ready and loaded. *National Championship by 2010...write it down. *We'll be as good as most DI programs by then. *The only exceptions will be the 8 or 10 elite programs around the country in DI-A. *No other program will have anything on the Bison. *

And finally...the U of M will be using their crying towels after the Bison visit next fall. *It won't even be close. *That's why Taylor is having a hell of a time getting a schedule put together. *No one wants to play us. *We've gotten too good...too quickly...but most schools would give anything to have that problem. *

The proof is in the recruiting. *The sky is the limit. *
    If you really think the Bison are going to blowout the Gophers, your completely crazy. This won't be the same Gopher team from last year. Minnesota has a guy who can go out and RECRUIT the big names. Perhaps you haven't been following what Brewster has been doing recently but he's not just laying down because the guy he replaced couldn't recruit worth a lick. Also talking about National championship already? Perhaps the Bison should worry about Bohl sticking around till 2010 because if they do as well as you think, he'll be gone by the end of 2008.

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I certainly like the optimism surrounding this class. Everyone seems to think there is all kinds of talent and athleticism. But, are they all considered diamonds in the rough?

With the exception of our first verbal commitment, who is projected as a DE, few if any of our recruits thus far are listed by such high school recruiting combines such as Rivals or EdgyTim. And the recruit I am talking about was ranked as a TE, not DE. I know that likely doesn't mean anything, but lots of other DIAA schools are getting 2 star and 3 star athletes according to Rivals. Is the pursuit of a national championship accomplished by signing these kinds of athletes or diamonds in the rough? I don't know, the answer, but I think the question has to be asked.

Before you all go off on me, I want to make it clear that I am not questioning the quality of this class, because I have no way of knowing, I am only wondering how this coaching staff does its evaluations. If we believe they are so good, why are most of them not listed on any high school recruiting forum? Why are many of these athletes not getting looks by other DIAA schools? The last verbal, commitment for example, is a kid from IL . He was a LB in high school, projected as a DE, and had only DII offers. BisonInsider says he helped his team to a 2-7 record (admittedly not very impressive stat to list) and that he had no other offers from DIAA. So, it begs the question, what do our coaches see that others do not? If this team is so athletic, are they all diamonds in the rough?

What do you want SirHinn? Should the Bison players throw a game now and then so that they won't look as good and Bohl sticks around? As for the Gophers, a few different coaches, one recruiting class and six months won't turnaround the mess the Gophers have been in for some time. Will the Gophers play better against the Bison than they did last year. Most likely. At the same time the Bison will be even more improved. I don't expect the Bison to blow out the Gophers, but they will give them another good game and hopefuly this time the Bison will prevail.

I think the next guy in line at QB is Mortensen, who comes from Hutchinson MN, a school that runs the ball all day.

So unless they get some superman JUCO QB to come in over the spring/summer who can sit back in the shotgun all day and sling darts, I think they're going to have a hard time in this offense for at least the 1st year.

That opens the door for us at least for next season. We've done well against the Southern teams who chuck and duck it all day long (NW St, SFA, MVSU).

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil
    what do our coaches see that others do not?
    Recruiting services go for guys who have big numbers and come from big programs.

I'm sure our coaches look at game film and if they see something they like (hustle, toughness, whatever) then they offer them, regardless of the numbers.

I don't care if a kid has -20 yards of rushing on the season. Maybe he played on a bad team. But that doesn't make him a bad player with no potential.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil
    I certainly like the optimism surrounding this class. Everyone seems to think there is all kinds of talent and athleticism. *But, are they all considered diamonds in the rough?

With the exception of our first verbal commitment, who is projected as a DE, few if any of our recruits thus far are listed by such high school recruiting combines such as Rivals or EdgyTim. And the recruit I am talking about was ranked as a TE, not DE. I know that likely doesn't mean anything, but lots of other DIAA schools are getting 2 star and 3 star athletes according to Rivals. *Is the pursuit of a national championship accomplished by signing these kinds of athletes or diamonds in the rough? I don't know, the answer, but I think the question has to be asked.

Before you all go off on me, I want to make it clear that I am not questioning the quality of this class, because I have no way of knowing, I am only wondering how this coaching staff does its evaluations. If we believe they are so good, why are most of them not listed on any high school recruiting forum? Why are many of these athletes not getting looks by other DIAA schools? The last verbal, commitment for example, is a kid from IL . He was a LB in high school, projected as a DE, and had only DII offers. BisonInsider says he helped his team to a 2-7 record (admittedly not very impressive stat to list) and that he had no other offers from DIAA. So, it begs the question, what do our coaches see that others do not? If this team is so athletic, are they all diamonds in the rough?
    Good points BisonNeil. *It does seem like this Bison class is heavy on the "diamond in the rough" type recruits. *It's OK to have several, but why so very few top recruited DI-AA athletes? *Gee, Bison history, recent DI-AA success, top notch facilities and great coaches should bring a bunch of lower DI-A type recruits. *Also, I still question the lack of a legitamate QB recruit for the past two years. *After Walker is gone we are looking at a couple guys that have little game experience and they don't exactly have fans anticipating their starting days. *I guess I just don't wear my green and gold glasses all the time like some posters.