Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU Capital Building Requests 2013-2015

Default Re: NDSU Capital Building Requests 2013-2015

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    $35 million for a fine arts center at Bismarck State? And all State funds? How's that going to fly?
    Well, it makes perfect sense to spend $35 million to build infrastructure to support areas of study for which Bismarck State College does not offer a degree.

I'm guessing frequent-higher-ed-critic Dosch wants it.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Admittedly the CSci edge to NDSU, but I'll put UND's EEs up against NDSU's EEs anytime.
    I would agree if you could ever get them to sober up. When your program is more notable around campus for its semesterly kegger than anything else, you might have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator View Post
    All NDSU engineering > All UND engineering
    does NDSU have ChE yet?

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    does NDSU have ChE yet?
    NDSU has no Chemical Eng and no Geological Eng and no Petroleum Eng.

Personally, (warning: biases to follow) I'd say EE by a nose at UND, ME by a nose at NDSU, obviously Ag Eng at NDSU, and let the Civil Eng battle it out amongst themselves in a ditch somewhere.

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Personally, (warning: biases to follow) I'd say EE by a nose at UND, ME by a nose at NDSU, obviously Ag Eng at NDSU, and let the Civil Eng battle it out amongst themselves in a ditch somewhere.
    I go NDSU in all three cases. UND's CHE program might be the best engineering program in the state, however. ChE should probably be replicated at NDSU due to high relevance of ChemE to agriculture.

I've never met a PetE and only a few GeoE's, not sure they are even worth mentioning. No idea how many AgE's there are at NDSU. Doesn't NDSU have aerospace engineering or something along those lines as well?

mebisonII is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I am 100% on board with this statement.

I had to look up the departments in each engineering college:

UND:
    Chemical
    Civil
    Geology
    Petroleum
    Mechanical
    Electrical

NDSU:
    Ag and Biosystems
    Electrical and Computer
    Civil
    Industrial and Manufacturing
    Construction Management
    Mechanical

I did not know UND had Geologic or Petroleum engineering. UND has Aerospace focuses under both Mechanical and Electrical, which makes sense (sometimes "focus tracks" means more than others, though). UND also has a biomedical focus under EE. NDSU has the polymers and coatings option under Mechanical, which brings in some chemistry. I don't necessarily think any more programs need to be added, but if NDSU were to add, a materials and metallurgy program might be a nice compliment. UND might consider offering graduate degrees in biomedical engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by mebisonII View Post
    I am 100% on board with this statement.

I had to look up the departments in each engineering college:

UND:
    Chemical
    Civil
    Geology
    Petroleum
    Mechanical
    Electrical

NDSU:
    Ag and Biosystems
    Electrical and Computer
    Civil
    Industrial and Manufacturing
    Construction Management
    Mechanical

I did not know UND had Geologic or Petroleum engineering. UND has Aerospace focuses under both Mechanical and Electrical, which makes sense (sometimes "focus tracks" means more than others, though). UND also has a biomedical focus under EE. NDSU has the polymers and coatings option under Mechanical, which brings in some chemistry. I don't necessarily think any more programs need to be added, but if NDSU were to add, a materials and metallurgy program might be a nice compliment. UND might consider offering graduate degrees in biomedical engineering.
    Materials and metallurgy would be a huge benefit to the manufacturing sector in the region, especially out west. Many of the tools going downhole are either made of or coated by pretty high-end exotic metals. Keeping some of the manufacturing/repair work in state would be huge. I suspect most of that work is being sent or brought in from out of state...
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

mebisonII is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
    Materials and metallurgy would be a huge benefit to the manufacturing sector in the region, especially out west. Many of the tools going downhole are either made of or coated by pretty high-end exotic metals. Keeping some of the manufacturing/repair work in state would be huge. I suspect most of that work is being sent or brought in from out of state...
    Yeah, and I was thinking that the Ag folks (Bobcat, Case, Caterpillar, etc) would make good use of materials people as well. Polymers and coatings could kind of dovetail into that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mebisonII View Post
    Yeah, and I was thinking that the Ag folks (Bobcat, Case, Caterpillar, etc) would make good use of materials people as well. Polymers and coatings could kind of dovetail into that as well.
    Bingo !
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...

Quote Originally Posted by tatanka View Post
    materials and metallurgy would be a huge benefit to the manufacturing sector in the region, especially out west. many of the tools going downhole are either made of or coated by pretty high-end exotic metals. keeping some of the manufacturing/repair work in state would be huge. I suspect most of that work is being sent or brought in from out of state...
    twss..........
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post
    twss..........
    took you long enough!