Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU Capital Building Requests 2013-2015

BisBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: NDSU Capital Building Requests 2013-2015

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    It said it was approved 4 years ago. Why are they approving it again?
    The bigger question here is why do they need an indoor practice facility to compete in D-II after they are saddled with their beloved name after today's vote?

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post
    I think NDSU has a really good shot at getting funding for the STEM building.

VCSU got $12 million dollars and has, LITERALLY, four dozen science majors.

NDSU has about 3,000 STEM majors.

Using a basic formula that pro-rates the number of students and adjusts for political equality, NDSU will get $0 from the state (zero is a number!) and lose $10 million in operating funds for being so callous.
    Yeah, I fear that $124 Million building at the UND Medical School is probably more likely than anything being built at NDSU because Skarphol has to pay Holmburg back for favors rendered. They spend money like they're drunk and then cover their asses by using NDSU as their scapegoat. "O, higher ed spending is out of control! (btw, if you give me $15 million to build crap at Williston, I'll give you $15 million to build crap at NDSCS.) NDSU! Loud noises!"

You know the higher ed system is totally screwed up when they built the NDUS computer center* at UND (where there is about as much electrical engineering/comp sci expertise as there is ag expertise.) In fact, I bet that we're more likely to see ag research buildings at UND than anything useful to NDSU's students.

* Although, with Skarphol's whole-hearted endorsement, the NDUS computer center project suddenly sprouted classroom space.

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    I don't think I like the leading location candidate for the STEM building. They want to put it just south of Churchill Hall along University. One thing I do like about the project is that they plan to demo that little former health building between Ceres and Dinan. Another tidbit about the project is they basically say don't bother funding the Ladd/Dunbar renovation if you don't give us the STEM building. They can't afford to shut down any of the science classrooms and labs in Ladd/Dunbar for renovation until new space is created. If the STEM building is approved, it will house all of the teaching labs and Ladd/Dunbar will become a pure research facility. If you want to read some scary stuff, check out the comments about Harris Hall. I'm sure it's a bit exaggerated in an attempt to get funding, but if even half of it were true, I wouldn't want to work there.
    Is Harris where Food Science is? I've been in there fairly recently and it isn't pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post
    Is Harris where Food Science is? I've been in there fairly recently and it isn't pretty.
    Yes..........

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    You know the higher ed system is totally screwed up when they built the NDUS computer center* at UND (where there is about as much electrical engineering/comp sci expertise as there is ag expertise.) In fact, I bet that we're more likely to see ag research buildings at UND than anything useful to NDSU's students.
    You do know that UND just graduated its first Doctoral candidate in Computer Science this year, right?

Program duplication for $1000, Alex.

PS> I am not disputing your statement in any way shape or form.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Admittedly the CSci edge to NDSU, but I'll put UND's EEs up against NDSU's EEs anytime.

The STEM building is a great idea. As someone who put in a lot of hours in Stevens and Ladd, the classroom space and teaching labs are in dire need of upgrading. Of course, I spent most of my time in the basement of Stevens and would really like to see the Geosciences building actually hold the geology department. I don't see any mention of funding for that on here, but there's been talk for years of them finally moving over.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Admittedly the CSci edge to NDSU, but I'll put UND's EEs up against NDSU's EEs anytime.
    All NDSU engineering > All UND engineering
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Admittedly the CSci edge to NDSU.
    If by edge, you mean overwhelming superiority, then we agree. That's not to say that a person with an NDSU degree is automatically superior than one with a UND degree, just that NDSU's comp sci program makes UND's look like a learning annex program conducted on cable access TV (which, in fact, is pretty much the direction UND is going.)

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    Yes..........
    It's almost embarrassing when the NCI holds their training sessions give people tours of Harris Hall.