Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MLB Draft - 2012

Default Re: MLB Draft - 2012

Summit League draftee-
    Cam Schiller - Oral Roberts U - Round 7 #246 overall
    Johnathan Mayo thinks of him as possible utility guy

If Schiller gets full slot pay for his spot- #246 - would get $141,400 - unless the Rangers pay over-slot to a player(s) somewhere on their other picks. Announced as a second baseman

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    If Schiller gets full slot pay for his spot- #246 - would get $141,400 - unless the Rangers pay over-slot to a player(s) somewhere on their other picks. Announced as a second baseman
    The hard slot payments are new this year, they were just suggestions before but now there's a tax for exceeding the slot payments in the aggregate and if a team is too far over they lose picks the next year. They sold this a competitive balance issue saying that is would help small market teams, I'm not sure about that. I think it's really about the union and the owners getting together to suppress payments to players who aren't union members yet which the players hope will put more money in their pockets and the owners how will put more money in theirs.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Another Summit selection:
    Oral Robert U's
    C Bennett Pickar to the Tigers in 11th round - #364 overall

If anyone is having trouble sleeping, here is an article about the new CBA for the bball draft and
    the hardcap on money paid and penalties and such :

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/stor...rs-association

On the Rangers' pick on the previous ORU player I should have mentioned that I thought it
    was a possibility they were trying to save money with a below-slot agreement with Schiller.
    e.g. 41,400 with the other 100,000 allowed going to an earlier pick - perhaps someone like
    round 1S pick (39th) Joey Gallo. If he had let it be known he wanted 2,000,000 to sign or he would
    go on to college, but the Rangers only have 1.3 mil for that spot, they get other player(s) later on
    to agree to lower amounts so they can use the money on Gallo. The cap is hard on the ist 10 rds,
    but the money can be shifted around. MLB doesn't encourage it, but it may happen.
    Speculation is the Astros did this at #1. I wonder if the Twins did as well at #2.
    Schiller would agree to this, if he did not expect to be picked until much later in the draft, if at all.
    (e.g. - wasn't rated in top 500 by Baseball America). Heck, he could even meet Nolan Ryan this way....

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    The hard slot payments are new this year, they were just suggestions before but now there's a tax for exceeding the slot payments in the aggregate and if a team is too far over they lose picks the next year. They sold this a competitive balance issue saying that is would help small market teams, I'm not sure about that. I think it's really about the union and the owners getting together to suppress payments to players who aren't union members yet which the players hope will put more money in their pockets and the owners how will put more money in theirs.
    The new system is horrible! Teams are already finding loopholes or ways get around it in a way at least. Teams are taking way more college seniors in the top 10 rounds. Then they will sign them to way below advised slot amount and use that money on higher projected players they selected in the top 10 rounds. Several people in scouting or draft projections have mentioned they would not be surprised if a good amount of these college seniors will be released after next year's spring training.

I agree this thing with the hard slots is a mess. Part of the sell was that is was supposed to help small market teams but I don't see how that works if it's compelling them to overdraft players who are willing to agree to below slot money in order to finance a larger payment to the first round pick. This is baseball you need depth in your system more than anything because its very difficult to tell who's going to actually make in the The Show. Tanking picks in the middle rounds in order to pay one or a few guys is not helping small market franchises.

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Agree with there being problems, would be shocked if there are not adjustments made after they see
    what is and isn't working here. Also will be interesting to see how each team handles it. If the Twins,
    for example, played it straight up and kept looking for the best relief pitcher prospects in the middle rounds, do they end up better off than those who did tank those picks as mentioned. Or do the one or two
    high-upside guys make it worth those teams while that did draft all those seniors and signability guys?
    Under this all, I am hoping it gives the NDSU guys a better chance to be drafted and get their foot in the door.
    I assume none would be having high bonus demands and if they are perceived as signable.....

I also feel like the first Star Wars episode just ended - Scott Boras's client Mark Appel did not go #1
    and ended up sliding to Pittsburgh at #8. He does not like to lose money, so what is his plan B?
    Will the Empire Strike Back? Maybe some sort of lawsuit.....
    I did laugh at one comment I read - something to the effect of
    "Am looking forward to seeing Mark Appel pitch next season,
    for the St Paul Saints".
    That would be some sort of attempt to take Appel towards free agency, assuming he graduates
    along the way, or getting redrafted.

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post

"Am looking forward to seeing Mark Appel pitch next season,
    for the St Paul Saints".
    That would be some sort of attempt to take Appel towards free agency, assuming he graduates
    along the way, or getting redrafted.
    There's a good thread on this over on fangraphs.com. They posted it yesterday. From what I understand Appel would have to reenter the draft next year if he goes to independent ball instead of signing w/ the Pirates. It doesn't sound like this would gain him much leverage though because the consensus right now is that next year's draft will be of much higher quality at the top than this year so Appel could end up in the 5th to 8th spot again and see only marginally more money than he would get now.

MLB is listing Bryan Lippincott from Concordia (MN) in round 19 to the Washington Nationals.
    Looked at their roster but did not find him,

Round 20 #643 LHP Matthew Strahm (West Fargo) from Neosho County CC to the new homestate KC Royals

Round 21 # 647 LHP Matthew Hayden from Oakland U across the water to da Brewers

Round 26 #802 Southern Utah RHP Chase Rezac by the Reds

Round 32 # 995 RHP Nick Anderson Mayville State by the Brewers