Thread: North Dakota State Track Meet

Default North Dakota State Track Meet

Some very good performances... most are possible NDSU recruits

Seniors
    Ken Wells, Parshall, won 1600 and 3200... I'm pretty sure that he had the best time going into the 3200 and he cut 34 seconds off that time at the state meet. Lots of potential.
    Kira Larson, Fargo North, outstanding jumper (going to Nebraska)

Juniors
    Drew Wiseman from Century crushed the 400m (48.82) and 300m Hurdles (37.06) - also won the 200 and anchored the 1st place 4x400 relay team.
    Waha Sem, Fargo North, won the 800 in 1:56.
    Jake Leingang, Bismarck High, won the 1600 and 3200 and battled Sem in the 800.
    Jamie Heinen, West Fargo, very good triple and long jumper.
    Bryan Bjerk, Red River, huge discus toss - just a great thrower.
    Morgan Milbrath, Minot, the best sprinter in North Dakota history - won races, other than the 100, by HUGE margins.

Sophomores
    Amanda Levin, West Fargo, really good sprinter.
    Nigel Hageness, Rugby, already one of the best.

This list is very incomplete - I'll be coming back to it.
    Last edited by tony; 05-30-2012 at 08:14 PM.

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: North Dakota State Track Meet

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    Some very good performances... all possible NDSU recruits

Seniors
    Ken Wells, Parshall, won 1600 and 3200... I'm pretty sure that he had the best time going into the 3200 and he cut 34 seconds off that time at the state meet. Lots of potential.

Juniors
    Drew Wiseman from Century crushed the 400m (48.82) and 300m Hurdles (37.06) - also won the 200 and anchored the 1st place 4x400 relay team.
    Waha Sem, Fargo North, won the 800 in 1:56.
    Jake Leingang, Bismarck High, won the 1600 and 3200 and battled Sem in the 800.
    Jamie Heinen, West Fargo, very good triple and long jumper.
    Bryan Bjerk, Red River, huge discus toss - just a great thrower.
    Morgan Milbrath, Minot, the best sprinter in North Dakota history - won races, other than the 100, by HUGE margins.

Sophomores
    Amanda Levin, West Fargo, really good sprinter.
    Nigel Hageness, Rugby, already one of the best.

This list is very incomplete - I'll be coming back to it.
    Leingang and Milbrath are ranked high nationally in their respective events and will have offers from many of the big schools. Lets hope they want to stay closer to home. Coach Larsons daughter Kira is a junior and has High jumped 5'9", you know she is on Ryun's list. Ann Govig, a senior and Hannah Larson a junior, both from Century pushed Kira at state with 5'8" and 5'6" jumps respectively. Both could help the Bison women jumpers!

ISXBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    Leingang and Milbrath are ranked high nationally in their respective events and will have offers from many of the big schools. Lets hope they want to stay closer to home. Coach Larsons daughter Kira is a junior and has High jumped 5'9", you know she is on Ryun's list. Ann Govig, a senior and Hannah Larson a junior, both from Century pushed Kira at state with 5'8" and 5'6" jumps respectively. Both could help the Bison women jumpers!
    Kira is going to Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by ISXBISON View Post
    Kira is going to Nebraska
    Thanks, you know I had heard that earlier but had forgotten about her vollyball skills.

... Morgan Milbrath, Minot, the best sprinter in North Dakota history - won races, other than the 100, by HUGE margins.
    Mibrath is a GREAT athlete, and might very well end up being the best sprinter in ND history. By running an 11.97 100m and a 53.31 400m as a freshman, she is the greatest freshman sprinter.

But time will tell if she will surpass Laura Roesler. Milbrath has run some fantastic race times, but she has not yet run a faster 100m, 200m, 400m, or 800m than Roesler. So I think we would have say that Roesler is the best of all time, as of today.

Incidentally, take a look at the Fargo South website, girls track records. Laura Roesler has the school records in the 100m, 200m, 400m, 800m, and 1600m, and with teammates, the school record in the 4 x 100m, and 4 x 400m. I find that impressive. Her 2:03.08 ... I think it will be a LONG LONG time before someone breaks that record.

On another note ... anyone notice that Fargo South boys only got 4 points at the state meet? Is that an all-time low for a Fargo high school?

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    Mibrath is a GREAT athlete, and might very well end up being the best sprinter in ND history. By running an 11.97 100m and a 53.31 400m as a freshman, she is the greatest freshman sprinter.

But time will tell if she will surpass Laura Roesler. Milbrath has run some fantastic race times, but she has not yet run a faster 100m, 200m, 400m, or 800m than Roesler. So I think we would have say that Roesler is the best of all time, as of today.
    Well, there's not much difference between the two. I don't call the 800 a sprint though so that's immaterial.

FWIW, Milbrath has the official state record in the 100 and 200... according to the state track meet site, Morgan ran an 11.87 in Bismarck in 2011 which isn't showing up on the all-time list yet (could be a misprint, I suppose.)

... according to the state track meet site, Morgan ran an 11.87 in Bismarck in 2011 which isn't showing up on the all-time list yet (could be a misprint, I suppose.)
    hey tony, what website were you using for the all-time list? Second, where did you see the 2011 result (11.87), they are no longer available at the state meet website. Only all-time list I know is on the Bismarck High School site, maintained by Dave Zittleman. Mr. Zittleman does not count some legitimate post-high school season races, such as races the best ND athletes get invited to, and that meet shortly after the state meet - so his lists are flawed in this sense - but beyond that they seem pretty legit and accurate. Milbrath is on that list with an 11.97 in 2010, and he has other performances there from 2011 and 2012.

http://www2.bhs.bismarck.k12.nd.us/a...op10agirls.htm

So are you are looking at a different list? And, where did you see the 2011 results. I am not aware of an 11.87 by MM, but there are a lot of things I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    hey tony, what website were you using for the all-time list? Second, where did you see the 2011 result (11.87), they are no longer available at the state meet website.
    http://www.activities.educ8.org/results/index.htm

If you click on an event, it will show the results of the 2012 meet, but at the top it also shows the official state records as well as the fastest time run at the Bismarck Bowl. Here's what it shows for the 100:

Overall: * 11.97 2010 Morgan Milbrath, Minot
    State: ! 11.97 5/28/2010 Morgan Milbrath, Minot
    Bowl: B 11.87 2011 Morgan Milbrath, Minot

http://www.activities.educ8.org/results/index.htm

If you click on an event, it will show the results of the 2012 meet, but at the top it also shows the official state records as well as the fastest time run at the Bismarck Bowl. Here's what it shows for the 100:

Overall: * 11.97 2010 Morgan Milbrath, Minot
    State: ! 11.97 5/28/2010 Morgan Milbrath, Minot
    Bowl: B 11.87 2011 Morgan Milbrath, Minot
    The official state records have to be run at the state meet. Wind aided times in the 100, 200, short hurdle races and jumps will not count as records. I know back in the late 80's the class A girls long jump was surpassed two years in a row but was wind aided so the record stood. I have always thought these records should be State Championship meet records. As for Zittleman's all time records, it is unofficial, there are a some mistakes and times that are not included, but very interesting. The bowl records I believe are accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    The official state records have to be run at the state meet. . . . I have always thought these records should be State Championship meet records.
    I agree with your second statement. As for the official state records ... any legit track and field meet should count, in my opinion. If the athlete has done an event at an officially run meet, where the times, distances, and heights, can be considered legit, I have no issue with their performance counting. (If there is sloppy measurements, an uncertified track, etc ... then those performances should not count officially.)