Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What is this? UNI player to NDSU?

tcbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: What is this? UNI player to NDSU?

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    We probably throw that out because for years on every conversation the UNI posters would throw out "Do something at the FCS level" then maybe we will take you seriously.

Well we did something and something that UNI hasn't done. So for that we are going to throw it back at you for awhile. Probably best to get used to it.
    Perfect. Oh and we didn't get out butts kicked by Montana either.

17 Times Football National Champions
    BISON PRIDE!

Quote Originally Posted by 06panther10 View Post
    I'm glad our football conference won a national championship. Its good for everybody involved. I truly and honestly congratulate your team and your fans for doing so, and I hope that someday UNI will do the same. Good for you guys. I have the utmost respect for your team and your program. But so many of you guys responding like this (UNI has NO championships!!!111) to EVERY single post that involves UNI, truly makes you look stupid IMO.
    UNI has NO championships!!!111
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by 06panther10 View Post
    I came here to correct a false academic claim that was made about UNI. The fact that 80% of you responded this way (I didn't even quote them all), is pretty telling and pretty sad. I DON'T CARE. What does 1AA football have to do with what I said, for God's sake???

I'm glad our football conference won a national championship. Its good for everybody involved. I truly and honestly congratulate your team and your fans for doing so, and I hope that someday UNI will do the same. Good for you guys. I have the utmost respect for your team and your program. But so many of you guys responding like this (UNI has NO championships!!!111) to EVERY single post that involves UNI, truly makes you look stupid IMO.

Yes, you are exactly right. Thank you.

Though is obvious that many of you on here do not have a single ounce of respect toward UNI (and I don't come to an opposing message board expecting or demanding it either), I know that the NDSU coaches, players, and whole athletic department for that matter have a great deal of competitive respect for UNI. Because as Tony thankfully had the humility to post, NDSU has modeled much of its move up to D1 after the success that UNI has had in all sports.
    Had you pointed out my mistake in a civilized matter, none of this would've happened. I would've been the first to say oops and apologize for the error. I've done it before and I'll do it again. I try to get my facts right, but I'm human and every once in awhile something slips through the cracks.

It also didn't help that you didn't understand that this is a topic that's been brought up in other ways before. NDSU(and SDSU & UND) is a misfit. We have a mission and academic profile that is more like Kansas State, Iowa State, and other state flagship schools, but our enrollment and budget is closer to schools like UNI, SIU, and other "directional" schools. Coupled with our geography, it puts us in an odd position. We can't partner with our mission peers because they outclass us in almost every way(think Big10). But partnering with our athletic peers creates issues because we have different overall goals. It's not unlike the tension in the MVC between the privates and the publics. The reason I brought up the difference in the graduate schools to begin with was to remind our own people about why it's hard(impossible?) to find the perfect home for our university. It's still true that NDSU has roughly twice the graduate enrollment, roughly three times the number of programs, and has a far broader spectrum of programs than UNI.

Another way of looking at it is research. That's a big part of our mission. But how many schools in our region and at our level have greater research expenditures? Between the MVFC, Summit, Horizon, Big Sky and MVC, only two institutions are higher than us: UIC(much higher) and Montana State(just 2 spots higher). Even within the new MWC, only four of the schools will be higher(CSU, UH, UNM & USU). Within the MAC, the number is one: SUNY-Buffalo. We really are a misfit.

So to try and wrap this back to something close to the original topic, we will have an advantage in these rare cases. When a football(or other) player graduates with a year of eligibility left, we will have a better than average chance of landing them because of the greater breadth of our graduate school. It might not happen more than a couple times a decade, but it's still something. And when someone makes an honest mistake, try politely correcting them before acting like an ass. Even someone like me who's stuck in eighth grade knows that.

I don't know you Hammer and I have only been on this board for about a year but that is the most well thought out, polite/civil response to an insult I have ever seen on this or any board. Hell, even out in the real world. Bravo!

Did anybody really expect a UNI fan to come on here and show any class? Really? I honestly don't remember any (I'm sure there have been some).

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Even someone like me who's stuck in eighth grade knows that.
    The funny thing about this, is that you may actually be stuck in 8th grade today.

You have motivated me, I now aspire to be stuck in the eighth grade!
    Hey Barkeep, another round of the green stuff for me and my buddies!

Quote Originally Posted by Bison"FANatic" View Post
    The funny thing about this, is that you may actually be stuck in 8th grade today.
    I was. I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that. One more day to go and I'm not going to accept another middle school job until fall*. I'll take high schoolers any day over another five weeks of 8th graders.

*Of course there's only three school days left, but it's the principle of the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    Did anybody really expect a UNI fan to come on here and show any class? Really? I honestly don't remember any (I'm sure there have been some).
    How about that extremely heavy gentleman that poses for pictures with bunches of 19 year old girls trying to give everyone the impression that they're all really into him?...............no?.............OK, please proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
    Had you pointed out my mistake in a civilized matter, none of this would've happened. I would've been the first to say oops and apologize for the error. I've done it before and I'll do it again. I try to get my facts right, but I'm human and every once in awhile something slips through the cracks.

It also didn't help that you didn't understand that this is a topic that's been brought up in other ways before. NDSU(and SDSU & UND) is a misfit. We have a mission and academic profile that is more like Kansas State, Iowa State, and other state flagship schools, but our enrollment and budget is closer to schools like UNI, SIU, and other "directional" schools. Coupled with our geography, it puts us in an odd position. We can't partner with our mission peers because they outclass us in almost every way(think Big10). But partnering with our athletic peers creates issues because we have different overall goals. It's not unlike the tension in the MVC between the privates and the publics. The reason I brought up the difference in the graduate schools to begin with was to remind our own people about why it's hard(impossible?) to find the perfect home for our university. It's still true that NDSU has roughly twice the graduate enrollment, roughly three times the number of programs, and has a far broader spectrum of programs than UNI.

Another way of looking at it is research. That's a big part of our mission. But how many schools in our region and at our level have greater research expenditures? Between the MVFC, Summit, Horizon, Big Sky and MVC, only two institutions are higher than us: UIC(much higher) and Montana State(just 2 spots higher). Even within the new MWC, only four of the schools will be higher(CSU, UH, UNM & USU). Within the MAC, the number is one: SUNY-Buffalo. We really are a misfit.

So to try and wrap this back to something close to the original topic, we will have an advantage in these rare cases. When a football(or other) player graduates with a year of eligibility left, we will have a better than average chance of landing them because of the greater breadth of our graduate school. It might not happen more than a couple times a decade, but it's still something. And when someone makes an honest mistake, try politely correcting them before acting like an ass. Even someone like me who's stuck in eighth grade knows that.
    Great, well thought out reply.

And oh, by the way, you forgot to mention they have never won a national title in football.

(Yes, I still have a very bad childish streak.....)