Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WSJ article

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: WSJ article

He uses football as an example but any sport could apply. It's like cities building stadiums or hosting a major event like the Super Bowl. It is hard to justify these things from a purely financial standpoint. The hard numbers don't always add up. But there is still significant value in them that can't be directly measured.

If you have never been to either, what are you perceptions of Indianapolis, Columbus (OH), and Louisville? They are all geographically similar. Very similar size and climate. But outside of this region they probably have very different perceptions.

a solid rebuttal.

Even among diehard bison student fans how many hours are spent watching the games, versus playing on facebook or xbox?

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Not necessarily the best rebuttal when one of your main points is not what he said. In the first article he states that 43% of all FBS schools lose money. In this rebuttal they changed the quote to most FBS schools lose money. 43% isn't most, it's not even half.

Whether we like it or not there is some truth to what he is saying. Tie that with the recent head trauma issues leading to the suicides of Seau and Duerson along with some of the safety precautions that are already being put into the game and football as we know it may change drastically over the next decade or two. Sports in this country have gotten out of hand and honestly need to be put back into its place as a piece of the puzzle instead of the ultimate goal that too many people put it as.

Great to see the pic of NDSU students, but I didn't bother reading the article, considering I've stopped reading the WSJ and other news sources that were recently acquired by Rupert Murdoch and his scummy organization... But from the posts in this thread... we DO get something out of it. National recognition, which increases the value of my two degrees from NDSU. In my opinion, it's worth it.

On a side note, it pisses me off to no ends, that while the state is sitting on a record budget surplus (thanks to oil money), NDSU is cutting classes, putting in hiring freezes, and other nonsensical bullsh*t. Seriously... the state of ND has a once in a lifetime opportunity to gain traction on every other state in the nation, but instead if investing in it's two economic engines (NDSU and UND), it decides, oh hey, it'd be wiser to just get rid of property taxes... seriously? Really? Are you fukn kidding me???

Makes me glad I moved out to Washington. Don't get me wrong, we've got serious budget issues, but at least people get it right when it comes to economic development out here... and job creation.

Bissinger and Gladwell won the debate last night.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...on_may_8_.html
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by bisonaudit View Post
    Bissinger and Gladwell won the debate last night.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...on_may_8_.html
    Probably would've had a different answer if the debate would've been held in Tuscaloosa instead of anywhere in the northeast.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Probably would've had a different answer if the debate would've been held in Tuscaloosa instead of anywhere in the northeast.
    Possible, but the way the result is measured isn't on a straight vote. The audience votes once at the beginning of the night and once at the end and whoever's changed more minds is declared the winner.

before: ban college football 16 undecided 31 don't 53
    after: ban college football 53 undecided 8 don't 39

At the end of the day this doesn't mean much and it's not going anywhere any time soon, but it's interesting.

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

This.

Let's have a debate about the value of an activity at a school with 50,000 students that hasn't sponsored that activity since 1952.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

I thought this was a balanced take on the debate last night.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012...lege-football/

zooropa is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    The guy doesnt understand that FB and MBB are usually revenue generators. The sports that were cut couldnt support themselves. At least he gave the reasons for the problems at Maryland FB but still didnt see what the difference was between money generation between the different sports.
    And, as a general rule all revenue from FB and MBB does is reduce the subsidy to those sports. At a reported $3.5M in expenses directly assigned to football, I'd be surprised if NDSU's FB revenue supports much outside of the FB program, although it almost certainly helps draw donations to the department generally.

At any rate, banning FB is just silly at schools like NDSU and SDSU. This is not where the problems are.

And banning the sport is no way to stop high profile schools from being foolish with money. As long as they are given money by donors (who aren't really purchasing anything) and students (who are incredibly poor consumers) they will waste money.