Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Technology will allow Kibbie Dome to expand with cantilevered upper decks. FFD?

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default New Technology will allow Kibbie Dome to expand with cantilevered upper decks. FFD?

Read a blurb article on Scout today about how the Kibbie Dome will be able to add upper decks on both sides of its building using consruction techniques made possible with new technology. It doesn't state what that technology is but I thought it was interesting none the less. If we could add a couple decks like this to the FFD and push are capacity north of 25k that would be awesome!

http://idaho.scout.com/2/1182373.html

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AKBison; 04-30-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Default Re: New Technology will allow Kibbie Dome to expand with cantilevered upper decks.

It goes to show how much attention I've paid/attended class at all in the two architecture classes I've taken that I have no idea what cantileevering is.
    Official Bisonville Sponsor of:
    DJKyRo-brand® self-deprecating humor; Bird law; Pureyor of spicy foods; Epic UN_ predictions
    DJKyRo's all-time GDT record: 10-8
    Don't follow me on Twitter @kroth37!

Default Re: New Technology will allow Kibbie Dome to expand with cantilevered upper decks.

Two equations are key to understanding the behavior of MEMS cantilevers. The first is Stoney's formula, which relates cantilever end deflection δ to applied stress σ:
    where ν is Poisson's ratio, is Young's modulus, is the beam length and is the cantilever thickness. Very sensitive optical and capacitive methods have been developed to measure changes in the static deflection of cantilever beams used in dc-coupled sensors.
    The second is the formula relating the cantilever spring constant to the cantilever dimensions and material constants:
    where is force and is the cantilever width. The spring constant is related to the cantilever resonance frequency by the usual harmonic oscillator formula . A change in the force applied to a cantilever can shift the resonance frequency. The frequency shift can be measured with exquisite accuracy using heterodyne techniques and is the basis of ac-coupled cantilever sensors.

See how easy that is. Not a clue what it means but I do like to copy and paste.

Quote Originally Posted by DjKyRo View Post
    It goes to show how much attention I've paid/attended class at all in the two architecture classes I've taken that I have no idea what cantileevering is.
    Meh, you only would have learned how to draw a cantilever

Aint that right, OregunBison?

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsBison View Post
    Meh, you only would have learned how to draw a cantilever

Aint that right, OregunBison?
    As a recovering architecture major you are 100% correct. My designs were always critiqued by saying "That would be built, but..." Isn't that the point? Oh well. I espcaped and made a good career out of my degree anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbear99 View Post
    Two equations are key to understanding the behavior of MEMS cantilevers. The first is Stoney's formula, which relates cantilever end deflection δ to applied stress σ:
    where ν is Poisson's ratio, is Young's modulus, is the beam length and is the cantilever thickness. Very sensitive optical and capacitive methods have been developed to measure changes in the static deflection of cantilever beams used in dc-coupled sensors.
    The second is the formula relating the cantilever spring constant to the cantilever dimensions and material constants:
    where is force and is the cantilever width. The spring constant is related to the cantilever resonance frequency by the usual harmonic oscillator formula . A change in the force applied to a cantilever can shift the resonance frequency. The frequency shift can be measured with exquisite accuracy using heterodyne techniques and is the basis of ac-coupled cantilever sensors.

See how easy that is. Not a clue what it means but I do like to copy and paste.
    Well played!!!!
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Structural hurdles aside, there's not enough height up there to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbsy View Post
    Structural hurdles aside, there's not enough height up there to do it.
    Trying something like that in FargoDome, imagine the pitch the seating would have to be at for the last row to see both sidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    Trying something like that in FargoDome, imagine the pitch the seating would have to be at for the last row to see both sidelines.
    You are right...it would be a pitch.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbear99 View Post
    Man, I loved the Snorks.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."