Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teams NDSU needs to beat (for statistics only)

Default Teams NDSU needs to beat (for statistics only)

For the young 'uns, all you need to know is that Bison football changed when Darrell Mudra took over as coach back in 1964.

NDSU has played 45 programs more than once in that time and has a lead in 40 of those series, is tied in 3, and is behind in 2.

It'd be kind of cool if at the end of the 2013 season, NDSU fans could say, "In the last 50 years, no team has a series lead against NDSU." (i.e. no team that NDSU has played more than once has won more games than they've lost.)

For this to happen, here's what the Bison need to do in the next two seasons:

1. Can't go -1 against Delta State or Northwest Missouri State (pretty sure that won't be a problem) Check
    2. Can't go -2 against Cal Poly, WIU, Minnesota, Sam Houston State (none of these teams is on the schedule) Check
    3. Can't go -2 against Illinois State or Southern Illinois (two games scheduled so have to at least split) Check
    4. Have to at least get a split against Missouri State (series is tied, two games on the schedule) Check
    5. Have to go +2 against Youngstown State (this is possible - two games are scheduled) Gotta win in 2013
    6. Have to go +2 against Jacksonville State (very difficult since they aren't on the schedule - I'll be rooting for the Gamecocks to make the playoffs.) Nooooooo!

If you are wondering why UNI and UND aren't on that list, it's because NDSU is +8 against UND and +7 vs UNI since 1964.

End of 2012 season updates in bold.
    Last edited by tony; 01-08-2013 at 01:00 AM.

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Teams NDSU needs to beat (for statistics only)

So we have a losing record against Youngstown and Jack St and tied with Missouri St. Who else are we tied with during that time??

Quote Originally Posted by stevdock View Post
    So we have a losing record against Youngstown and Jack St and tied with Missouri St. Who else are we tied with during that time??
    Delta State and NW Missouri State (both series tied at 1-1).

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    For the young 'uns, all you need to know is that Bison football changed when Darrell Mudra took over as coach back in 1964.

NDSU has played 45 programs more than once in that time and has a lead in 40 of those series, is tied in 3, and is behind in 2.

It'd be kind of cool if at the end of the 2013 season, NDSU fans could say, "In the last 50 years, no team has a series lead against NDSU." (i.e. no team that NDSU has played more than once has won more games than they've lost.)

For this to happen, here's what the Bison need to do in the next two seasons:

1. Can't go -1 against Delta State or Northwest Missouri State (pretty sure that won't be a problem)
    2. Can't go -2 against Cal Poly, WIU, Minnesota, Sam Houston State (none of these teams is on the schedule)
    3. Can't go -2 against Illinois State or Southern Illinois (two games scheduled so have to at least split)
    4. Have to at least get a split against Missouri State (series is tied, two games on the schedule)
    5. Have to go +2 against Youngstown State (this is possible - two games are scheduled)
    6. Have to go +2 against Jacksonville State (very difficult since they aren't on the schedule - I'll be rooting for the Gamecocks to make the playoffs.)

If you are wondering why UNI and UND aren't on that list, it's because NDSU is +8 against UND and +7 vs UNI since 1964.
    Bold, in order:

1. That would be kinda cool, hope it happens.
    2. That IS cool. Glad it will CONTINUE to happen.

GO BISON!
    The Bisonville MASTERS Pool
    Winners - 2020: Vet70 | 2021: ND Gooch | 2023: Strategery

reformedUNDfan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

what about the teams they've only played once?

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Where's your source for all this? I might be able to work some spreadsheet magic and answer any stats questions.

Quote Originally Posted by reformedUNDfan View Post
    what about the teams they've only played once?
    Here's everybody NDSU has a losing record against since 1964 (inclusive of 1964). 95 different teams played in that time, 11 have winning records.

Youngstown State 2-4-0
    Jacksonville State 0-2-0
    Eastern Washington 0-1-0
    Wyoming 0-1-0
    Iowa State 0-1-0
    Grand Valley State 0-1-0
    Texas Arlington 0-1-0
    Texas State 0-1-0
    Troy 0-1-0
    San Diego State 0-1-0
    Emporia State 0-1-0

Quote Originally Posted by taper View Post
    Where's your source for all this? I might be able to work some spreadsheet magic and answer any stats questions.
    Bisonville started as a database of Bison football scores. The database still exists and now contains the scores of over 90,000+ games, including every Bison game played. I'll add a couple thousand more this summer for the teams that are now fully DI, like UND and USD. Come to think of it, I could make a .CSV or .XML with just Bison scores in it - that would be considerably easier to manipulate. If you're interested, let me know.

Don't we have an overall losing record against UNI???
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator View Post
    Don't we have an overall losing record against UNI???
    Not in the last 50 years. Prior to that, and overall, yes.