Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laura Roesler and the ND All-Time List in the 800 meters.

Default Laura Roesler and the ND All-Time List in the 800 meters.

Note on this website:

http://www2.bhs.bismarck.k12.nd.us/a...op10agirls.htm

The 800 meter time for Laura Roesler. It shows 2:05.68 as the all-time North Dakota best. Yet in June 2008, when she was a sophomore at FArgo South, she ran 2:03.08 at the Jim Bush Invitational, which qualified her for the Olympic Trials.

The maintainer of the All-Time best website is dave_zittleman@bismarckschools.org

I e-mailed Mr. Zittleman about this error a couple years ago ... he refused at the time to correct it.

Default Re: Laura Roesler and the ND All-Time List in the 800 meters.

Here is the link once more, non-truncated (I hope).

bhs.bismarck.k12.nd.us/athletics/bhsboystrack/alltimelist/top10agirls.htm

Add "www2." to the string before the bhs and it should get you there, in case you want to look.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    Note on this website:

http://www2.bhs.bismarck.k12.nd.us/a...op10agirls.htm

The 800 meter time for Laura Roesler. It shows 2:05.68 as the all-time North Dakota best. Yet in June 2008, when she was a sophomore at FArgo South, she ran 2:03.08 at the Jim Bush Invitational, which qualified her for the Olympic Trials.

The maintainer of the All-Time best website is dave_zittleman@bismarckschools.org

I e-mailed Mr. Zittleman about this error a couple years ago ... he refused at the time to correct it.
    Zit probably doesn't see it as an error. This is an unofficial list and is not maintained by the
    state. This is all Zit's doing so I guess he can do what he wants. He is choosing to only
    recognized performances that happen during the school year and that's fine with me.
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

I still maintain that it is an error, as well as a misrepresentation of one of North Dakota's greatest athletes.

Jim Ryun's 3:55.3 mile was the official high school record for over 30 years (Until Alan Webb broke it in 2001),and he ran it as a senior, six weeks after the Kansas state high school meet. He ran this race against world-class athletes, including the world record holder Peter Snell - not against high school athletes. Alan Webb ran his race on 28 May with world-class athletes, including the world record holder.

Roesler ran her 2:03 as a sophomore, a week or so after the ND State High School meet, where the results of that meet - the Jim Bush - are recognized by every credible US track organization as well as the US Olympic Track and Field Committee. I cannot think of any justification for not giving Roesler credit for it.

Notorious is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo.Rider View Post
    I still maintain that it is an error, as well as a misrepresentation of one of North Dakota's greatest athletes.

Jim Ryun's 3:55.3 mile was the official high school record for over 30 years (Until Alan Webb broke it in 2001),and he ran it as a senior, six weeks after the Kansas state high school meet. He ran this race against world-class athletes, including the world record holder Peter Snell - not against high school athletes. Alan Webb ran his race on 28 May with world-class athletes, including the world record holder.

Roesler ran her 2:03 as a sophomore, a week or so after the ND State High School meet, where the results of that meet - the Jim Bush - are recognized by every credible US track organization as well as the US Olympic Track and Field Committee. I cannot think of any justification for not giving Roesler credit for it.
    She's not from Bismarck High School ....

"Bisonville Poster of the Year - 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012"

"Hustler Man of the Year - 2011 & 2012"

"1977 Pinewood Derby Champion - Southwestern North Dakota"

"Chub's Pub & 4-10 Club Hall of Fame - 2012

"Voted Biggest DICK on Bisonville"

I might add that (it appears that) NDSU counts school records for its seniors up until the end of the U.S. Championships ... which are usually at the end of July, and sometimes into the first few days of August. Perhaps the thinking here, which can be applied to Roesler's case, is that they have to earn their trip to those meets based on what they did during the regular season or at the NCAA T&F Championships. If they have earned the trip then the times they set at the US Championships should count. In addition, I think this is the convention all colleges basically adhere to.

The Jim Bush meet is an Invitational.

It clearly states at the top of the website that the times must come during the school season and not summer meets, thus any times achieved after the ND State Meet would not count. I think the bigger feat is that Roesler is in the top 10 for the 100, 200, 400, 800, and 1600.

Quote Originally Posted by missingnumber7 View Post
    It clearly states at the top of the website that the times must come during the school season and not summer meets, thus any times achieved after the ND State Meet would not count. I think the bigger feat is that Roesler is in the top 10 for the 100, 200, 400, 800, and 1600.
    What an amazing runner!

BTW, I wonder how many top 10 lists Whitney Carlson would be on if those lists included Class B girls? I mean, when she graduated she held the official overall (Class A and B) records in the 200, 100 hurdles, 300 hurdles, and long jump. She's run an 11.7 100, 58 second 400 hurdles, and long jumped over 21'. That's three different track categories with three exceptional results.

There was a nice article about Laura in The Oregonian a few days back.
    http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfi...ips_laura.html
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    There was a nice article about Laura in The Oregonian a few days back.
    http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfi...ips_laura.html
    Thanks for sharing this with us. Great article.