Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: This just in. Grand Forks get an Olive Garden!

Quote Originally Posted by BadlandsBison View Post
    This just in; after enduring a heavy financial blow, the Grand Forks Olive Garden now limits Rob Port to 8 baskets of "free" bread sticks

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    you would think the savings from not having to include a salad would offset.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Default Re: This just in. Grand Forks get an Olive Garden!

http://gawker.com/5891587/grand-fork...ositive-review

Gawker and other websites, allow the masses to see the insanity of GF residents. XD!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think you need to live in NYC or even be from NYC to find a review of a national chain restaurant funny.

I would also add this wasn't her first time at an Olive Garden so not sure what she was expecting from most likely an identical menu.
    Honestly, I wasn't sure this was real. I thought they did a copy and paste from an Onion story.
    National Champions: '65 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17 '18 '19 '21

Quote Originally Posted by Twentysix View Post

Gawker and other websites, allow the masses to see the insanity of GF residents. XD!!!!!!!!!!
    With the number of hits this review is getting Marilyn should get a nice bonus. Enough to go back to Olive Garden and splurge on the ravioli's.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

A little Q and A from villagevoice

Was the Olive Garden opening really such a big deal?

Oh, it was one of the biggest deals in ages. The rumors had been floating around for a decade. [Whispers] The Olive Garden is coming to town. For some reason, people go to the Olive Garden in Fargo and they think it's just wonderful. So it was greatly anticipated. The rumors went for several years.

You also reviewed Taco Bell.

Oh, that was a long time ago.

I may sound a little on the defensive to you today because of the emails I've received. One was kind of snotty. But the other four or five were kind of friendly. But my daughter tells me I should go on Facebook and read all this crap. And I do not have time to let myself be bothered or read all that stuff. I have a Sunday column I'm doing now about a completely different subject. I don't have time to sit here and twit over whether some self-styled food expert likes, or does not like, my column. The publisher likes it.

Why was this posted in announcements and not smack?
    National Champions: '65 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17 '18 '19 '21

Quote Originally Posted by Twentysix View Post

The comments after the article are awesome! Especially by rxcopy....good input for such a prestigous restaurant and review.

I'm with Hagerty and the hicks.

Sure the review is parochial - its the Grand Forks Herald for Cripes sakes.

Carmichael is a twenty something know-nothing who wasted at least an hour of her life to play the snob which is bad manners in North Dakota or New York.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

aaaaand this has just jumped the shark.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...cle/id/231591/

Yep, you betcha. A Ryan Bakken article about the restaurant review article.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

Is she gonna do a review of the new Sonic in West Fargo? She could probably do that on the way to the NDSU game in Lincoln.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

I finally read the article and can see how it could be mistaken for an Onion story (like their classic bit about the "Strip Mall of America."):

http://www.theonion.com/articles/new...6th-of-n,1150/

Still think that the Herald misses the point because they claimed that people were finding it funny because "In larger markets, newspaper reviews are reserved for exclusive, high-end eateries that offer fine dining" <-- totally false, btw.

No, it's funny because it's like a Brookings newspaper running a review about their new McDonalds:

McDonalds: Does It Live Up To The Hype?

BROOKINGS, SD - The new, much-hyped restaurant, McDonalds, opened on Thor's Day with great fanfare. Local celebrities, Cletus the Third-Smartest Goat in North America and Biff Bronson, who once got a letter published by Readers Digest, were all in attendance for the biggest party in Brookings since we got the offical green highway department signs saying "Brookings" erected before the exit ramps from the interstate highway, I-29. Did McDonalds live up to the hype? Let's see.

Ambience (9/10): On first entering the restaurant, I was confused by the complete lack of any Scottish influences in the decor. However, the place was extremely clean.

Food (9/10): I had the Big Mac, a sandwich consisting of two all-beef patties, "special sauce", lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame-seed bun. I was especially intrigued by the "special sauce"; it was a lot like bearnaise sauce without the tarragon. Delightful. I also had a soda-ed drink called Coca-Cola, a blend of battery acid and sugar with a rich color that reminded me of water-damaged mahogany. For a side dish, I had the Frenched Fries, a potato-based product that you will have to taste for yourself. Yummy. For dessert, I had the hot apple pie, a sugary pastry of apple-y goodness that scarred my soul (as well as the roof of my mouth and a bit of my chin) with its molten goodness.

Insider's Tip: You've probably already heard the rumors: Yes, you must pour your own soda-ed pop from a bank of machines - all without a Class 3 Boiler License. What you might not know is this: You may refill your glass for free!

Overall (10/10): The lunch counter at Walmart better raise its game or the post-prom, pre-skeet-shooting crowd is going to find their pot of food at the end of McDonald's double yellow rainbows.
    http://www.observer.com/2012/03/gran...garden-review/

Hagerty replies to critics:

Snarky NY C#nt Can Kiss my Passive Aggressive Ass!

http://www.gfherald.com/hagerty_columns/Reply/Breaking
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."