Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: You Make the Call

Default Re: You Make the Call

Answer:
    During the play, there was an inadvertant whistle blown by the side judge, who is out of shape and was trying to catch up to the play. He was huffing and puffing so bad and had the whistle in his mouth and accidently blew it louder than he'd ever blown it before. The player scrambling let up....just when he did, the opposing linebacker came in with a full-on spear with the top of his helmet. I'm talking airborne, take a running leap spear kinda like how the cougar straight up mauled the Guy On A Buffalo! All hell broke loose, benches cleared, coaches indian wrestled at mid field, and fans stormed the field. The refs tried to restore order. They went to replay and discovered there was actually a false start on the RG they had missed so technically the play was dead and never happened! Hoooray, it's a do-over.

Is that a legit answer?
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    Answer:
    During the play, there was an inadvertant whistle blown by the side judge, who is out of shape and was trying to catch up to the play. He was huffing and puffing so bad and had the whistle in his mouth and accidently blew it louder than he'd ever blown it before. The player scrambling let up....just when he did, the opposing linebacker came in with a full-on spear with the top of his helmet. I'm talking airborne, take a running leap spear kinda like how the cougar straight up mauled the Guy On A Buffalo! All hell broke loose, benches cleared, coaches indian wrestled at mid field, and fans stormed the field. The refs tried to restore order. They went to replay and discovered there was actually a false start on the RG they had missed so technically the play was dead and never happened! Hoooray, it's a do-over.

Is that a legit answer?
    Nope. False start is not reviewable so you have an IW and you didn't explain the options available when there is an IW. But you have an amazing ability to describe a situation with word pictures. Are you a writer?

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Nope. False start is not reviewable so you have an IW and you didn't explain the options available when there is an IW. But you have an amazing ability to describe a situation with word pictures. Are you a writer?
    Nope. Just explaining what I saw at a game one time.
    I believe the IW stops the play at that point. The officials can review for spot and clock. And it would serve to help give the out-of-shape ref a badly needed breather. The official timeout for review would also allow some extra time for the old lady in the wheelchair who stormed the field wielding a cane to get her ass back up in the stands. She's a rabid fan of Team A and was looking to kick that LB's ass......I forgot to mention that part when I gave my analysis of this horribly bungled play.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    In light of the other thread that was somewhat hijacked (I apologize for that), I thought I would create this thread to throw some situations out there and see how well we do with them. Maybe you'll learn a thing or two.

For this first play give me the NCAA and/or HS answer. They are different. A refers to the team that snaps the ball and B refers to their opponent. A and B remain the same throughout the play but offense and defense can change if there is a change of team possession.

B leads 17 to 14 with 1:30 to go in the 4th quarter. A's ball 3rd and 10 at the A35. A10 takes the snap and drops back to pass and under pressure scrambles around the right end to the A37 where he sees B78, B45 & B55 coming at him. A88 sees his QB in trouble and comes back to help and blocks B55 in the back at the A38. A10 reverses course and retreats back to the A34 where he is hit by B45 and fumbles the ball. A32 scoops up the ball and runs to A's 40 yd line where he runs out of bounds. Assume the block in the is a foul. What are B's options and where would the penalty be enforced. What is the clock status (i.e. when does the game clock start and what is the play clock set to?)
    i havent read any other post in here. but B can accept the block in the back penalty and take the yards from the original line of scrimmage and repeat the down. clock starts on ready for play whistle and play clock is set back to 25? or they could decline and it would be 4th and 5 from the A40

stevdock is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter1 View Post
    In state of North Dakota - assuming A is the home team say.....Kindred and B team is Casselton (insert any 2 rival schools)

Block in back....didn't see it
    Hit by B45 ....spearing 15 yard penalty
    Dead ball penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct (game ejection) B45 additional 15 yard penaly
    personal foul coach ejection on B team bench additional 15 yard penaly
    Since the playclock in Kindred starts 10 seconds after play starts when they are behind , clock is still at 1:30.
    Ball is spotted on the A 40 then 45 yards in penalties are marked off.
    1 and 10 at the B 10 for the A team with 1:30 seconds left to go.

How did I do? Do I win a prize?

But.... the math is wrong.......

penaly???

Definition penaly...the flag a homer ref throws when he is a dick helping out the home team when they are behind.
    FYI When Kindred is behind we just rarely remember to start the clock period. Since we hosted the Boys Region 1 tournament it absolutely floors me that we couldn't make it out of there no matter how good Central Cass is.

Scooter1 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

1. Offensive players who are on the line of scrimmage at the snap within
    the blocking zone (Rule 2-3-6) may legally block in the back in the
    blocking zone, subject to the following restrictions:
    (a) A player on the line of scrimmage within this blocking zone may not
    leave the zone and return and legally block in the back.

1. If defense accepts the penalty - 3rd and 20 from the 25 - clock to start on snap.
    2. If defense declines - 4th and 5 from the 40 - clock to start on snap

Fuck this, my head hurts, I think I'll go and stab myself in the eye with a fork to feel better.

The BNSF used to be called the Great Northern. One more thing....Why don't I ever get humped on hump day!

Quote Originally Posted by 75NOVA View Post
    The BNSF used to be called the Great Northern. One more thing....Why don't I ever get humped on hump day!
    Answer Guy's ears perked up.

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by 75NOVA View Post
    Random! Ahhhh Random? Random, party of 2, your table is ready!