Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT Bison vs. Bunnies

Default Re: GDT Bison vs. Bunnies

NDSU has a good team, but they're trying to figure it out right now. You're going to make a legitimate run at the Summit title/NCAA tourney next year or the following year.

The issue is with your guards. There is NO ONE except LA and college basketball is everything when it comes to guards. It's the reason Duke is so good every year and you have to have good guards to win in college basketball. For anyone who was watching the game, did you see what Wolters was doing when LA went out? He slacked off into other passing lanes and didn't have to work hard at all on the defensive side of the ball. Lindberg was never going to shoot. Besides LA, there is no one on your team right now to make an impact at that position. Braun is close, but he's not a distributor/facilitator with the ball.

Coaching the guards is definitely one of Nagy's strengths. He always recruits tall, tough nosed kids to play that position. NDSU needs LA to be that guy, but it's probably a year or two away.

Quote Originally Posted by jacks1 View Post
    I'll say it again...nothing matters until March. Yes you need some wins along the way to help seeding, but ANYTHING can happen come tournament time.

On a side note: I've watched a lot of basketball in my day, and I'm no coach...but...your team has the worst high ball screen/pick-and-roll defense I've ever seen at any level...ever.

Ha...yes thankyou. I have been yelling about this all year. The great Saul defensive coach can't get this figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by jacks1 View Post
    I'll say it again...nothing matters until March. Yes you need some wins along the way to help seeding, but ANYTHING can happen come tournament time.

On a side note: I've watched a lot of basketball in my day, and I'm no coach...but...your team has the worst high ball screen/pick-and-roll defense I've ever seen at any level...ever.
    I noticed it during the game as well. Every time NDSU caught the ball they held it for a couple seconds. Catch and hold, catch and hold, etc. No one really attempted to try a jump shot or was a threat to until LA got going at the end of the game.

One thing that really bothered me about the high screen and roll was that every time down the floor your point guard ran off a high pick at the top of the key at the start of their set. SDSU knew this every single time down the floor and would hedge to get around. Probably not a major deal, but my point is that not once did your PG try and do anything with it. They were never aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    I noticed it during the game as well. Every time NDSU caught the ball they held it for a couple seconds. Catch and hold, catch and hold, etc. No one really attempted to try a jump shot or was a threat to until LA got going at the end of the game.

One thing that really bothered me about the high screen and roll was that every time down the floor your point guard ran off a high pick at the top of the key at the start of their set. SDSU knew this every single time down the floor and would hedge to get around. Probably not a major deal, but my point is that not once did your PG try and do anything with it. They were never aggressive.
    I'm talking defense...but their offense left a lot to be desired also. Braun is a beast, LA is gonna be a beast...not sure after that.

Not how I expected this game to go.

I really like Braun he has a really nice shot. I didn't realize LA scored 20 points until I read the box score.

As a "bunny" fan, it was nice to see Wolters "finally" have a decent game (shooting % wise) against the Bison.

Not sure I agree with the few "Wolter's is all you got" statements. To me, that's like saying in 08-09 all NDSU had was Woody, but to each his own, it's your guys' board so you have every right to your opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by bisonmike2 View Post
    I remember talk like this in 2007. What if we run the table? What if we get a bowl invite? What if they vote us #1 even though we can't play in the playoffs? We ended that season with a loss to SDSU.

89% of our scoring is done by underclassmen and those underclassmen have hit a wall. Not surprising. Tough loss but we did this to SDSU plenty of times.
    Official Bisonville Sponsor of:
    DJKyRo-brand® self-deprecating humor; Bird law; Pureyor of spicy foods; Epic UN_ predictions
    DJKyRo's all-time GDT record: 10-8
    Don't follow me on Twitter @kroth37!

North Side is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I am not too shocked by today's results.
    This year just isn't our year to win the Summit. Its up to ORU or SDSU... I hope SDSU gets it because they will still be in the Summit next year.

I agree completely about the guards. Zastrow and Lundberg IMO might have been good D2 players. I am not sure Linberg should even be playing, I feel like this is just a wasted year for him when he could be redshirting. He will do much more for NDSU in his 5th year as a senior than he's doing right now for the team.

The biggest wtf moment is Saul felt the need to play Zastrow, Linberg, and Felt at the same time, and then probably wondered why SDSU scored at will. They had something like 11 straight possessions of scoring with that lineup.

I also think Wright should have redshirted, but not sure the program was deep enough for the time at the luxury. His development has really been disappointing. I cringe every time he tries to dribble. The player he is now is miles behind the player he finished as last year.

I think Saul does a lot of good things. I think he teaches some great concepts and develops. I think some of the struggles cannot be blamed solely on him. I still stand by my opinion, however, that he has absolutely no clue whatsoever how to coach a team with any kind of rotation.

Good teams/programs force their will on opponents and make them adjust. Saul has a pussified philosophy IMO where he tries to get too cute by matching up with the other team. How about put our best 5 position players out there and play f'n basketball.

This team should be 8-9 players deep.

LA, Felt, Hale and sometimes Braun should be covering the perimeter. Braun should be taking major minutes at the 3. Carlson and Bjorklund should be playing inside, with Wright and Aaberg playing in rotation.

I do not understand, for the life of me, why Saul feels it necessary to play 9-10 guys evenly. It's ridiculous, and messing with this teams chi.

Yes I'm an armchair QB.

Quote Originally Posted by North Side View Post
    I am not too shocked by today's results.
    This year just isn't our year to win the Summit. Its up to ORU or SDSU... I hope SDSU gets it because they will still be in the Summit next year.

I agree. I hope SDSU makes it. Their fan base deserves it.
    Don't matter. FIVE-PEAT!

heckler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

They can suck on their home made portapotties. I hope they choke in the first round. The only fan base where someone threw something at my wife. The least amount of class that exists in the Summit.