Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Proposed Rule Changes

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyFlexion View Post
    I've belly ached about this before but..............Indy, what is your opinion about aggressive stiff arms to the facemask by an offensive player. Seems like a double standard. When a defender even inadvertantly grabs the facemask it's 15 yards and an automatic 1st down. Most stiff arms to the face/facemask by ball carriers are much more violent, yet it is legal. When this happens, the defenders helmet is often pushed or even "punched" into distortion or ripped off. In your years of officiating meetings, has this ever been considered as a potential rule change to punish an offensive player, given that it may cause a higher risk of injury.
    Through the years, the Bison running backs have befefitted from the stiffarm (most recently Roehl and Paschall moreso than McNorton and Ojuri), but I just don't like the double standard.
    We talk about this but not often. No less than defensive face mask fouls though either. College eliminated the 5-yard foul a couple years ago so it's only a foul now if you grab AND twist or yank regardless of whether you are offense or defense. Typically what you see on the stiff arm is just contact but no grasping or twisting. I think some stiff arms should be considered illegal hands to the face and maybe we'll see more emphasis on that with the new helmet rule. A helmet still shouldn't come off with a normal stiff arm if the helmet is fitted properly.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    We talk about this but not often. No less than defensive face mask fouls though either. College eliminated the 5-yard foul a couple years ago so it's only a foul now if you grab AND twist or yank regardless of whether you are offense or defense. Typically what you see on the stiff arm is just contact but no grasping or twisting. I think some stiff arms should be considered illegal hands to the face and maybe we'll see more emphasis on that with the new helmet rule. A helmet still shouldn't come off with a normal stiff arm if the helmet is fitted properly.
    I was going to add....but forgot......that at the very least, an offensive ball carrier should be flagged for "Illegal Hands to the Face". This foul is called on offensive lineman from time to time, so I do think that would be an appropriate call.

The helmet rule is interesting because I was under the wrong assumption they were popping off because of design. We started seeing it more with the newer style helmet and I thought it was a design issue to lesson the concussions by popping off. The improper wearing makes a lot more sense.

I do think if you really want to make the game concussion friendlier, you take off the helmets and the pads. Part of the violence in today's game is the reduction of pain by having padding. It would be very strange to see today's football game played without pads, but I do think it would reduce injuries. Most guys would be unwilling to dish out the violent contact without the protection, but there will always be some with a lot thicker heads and a higher tolerance for pain that would again make it necessary to put pads on people.

Didn't a few NFL players once wear a small foam pad over the outside of their helmets? It seems to me that a soft layer of foam would reduce the G-forces on the tackler and the ball carrier since the change in velocity would be spread out over more time.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Didn't a few NFL players once wear a small foam pad over the outside of their helmets? It seems to me that a soft layer of foam would reduce the G-forces on the tackler and the ball carrier since the change in velocity would be spread out over more time.
    I think Thee OSU had that on their helmets along time ago. LB Willie Lanier from the KC Chiefs also. But after awhile they figured it didnt make any difference.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    I was wondering what was going on. I had never seen so many helmets coming off as this year. And why would you not want to wear it correctly? I hated it when my helmet was loose.
    I didnt realize leather helmets had chin straps.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I do think if you really want to make the game concussion friendlier, you take off the helmets and the pads. Part of the violence in today's game is the reduction of pain by having padding. It would be very strange to see today's football game played without pads, but I do think it would reduce injuries. Most guys would be unwilling to dish out the violent contact without the protection, but there will always be some with a lot thicker heads and a higher tolerance for pain that would again make it necessary to put pads on people.
    I've heard several people make that suggestion. Helmets give players a false sense of security. The rules against illegal helmet contact are meant to protect the hitter as much as the hittee.

If the goal is to increase safety then do away with pads and lets just play flag football.
    Best DI Football Team in the Tri-State Area - AGAIN

I still got my butt kicked playing flag football in high school phys ed trying to block people who outweighed me by 50 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Dan View Post
    If the goal is to increase safety then do away with pads and lets just play flag football.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Rule changes are not needed. Just like a bunch of politicians somebody is always messing with the rules. As for the helmet thing how about the players start snapping their chin straps with BOTH snaps. That is the problem. Encourage them to do so or risk getting their head split wide open. No rule is needed for that.
    Helmets are better than ever, and even the ones back in the late 1970's were pretty good. At least players back then had enough sense to wear them correctly and they stayed on.