Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed Rule Changes

Default Re: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    I like this one. The number of helmets coming off as been increasing dramatically. There is no good reason for it, and those players are unnecessarily putting themselves at risk. It is just a matter of time before someone has a very serious head injury after a helmet comes off. Thumbs up on this rule change.
    I was wondering what was going on. I had never seen so many helmets coming off as this year. And why would you not want to wear it correctly? I hated it when my helmet was loose.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    I was wondering what was going on. I had never seen so many helmets coming off as this year. And why would you not want to wear it correctly? I hated it when my helmet was loose.
    Alot of the kids now wear those under armour head liners, They make the helmet slippery on the head. I often wonder with the increase in concussions though that they are not properly fit in their helmets
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    Alot of the kids now wear those under armour head liners, They make the helmet slippery on the head. I often wonder with the increase in concussions though that they are not properly fit in their helmets
    Never thought of that.....
    Definately makes sense, though.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    That doesn't help but that's not the only reason. They want to wear them loose enough so they can pull their helmets off with one hand or without unsnapping the chin strap. If it's fitted properly you can't do that. Even with the skull caps your helmet should not have helmets popping off. With this rule change I doubt you'll see too many instances of helmets popping off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    I like this one. The number of helmets coming off as been increasing dramatically. There is no good reason for it, and those players are unnecessarily putting themselves at risk. It is just a matter of time before someone has a very serious head injury after a helmet comes off. Thumbs up on this rule change.
    Agree. Plus we may see a few less concussions if helmets are worn correctly. I would compare it to wearing a seatbelt with no shoulder belt

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

I don't get the touchback change. A few years ago I thought they were trying to encourage more run backs to make the game more exciting.

FBS OR BUST FIRE LARSEN
    Hey UND: 34-9...38-7...34-13...16-6...42-21

100% anti MAGA

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU1980 View Post
    I don't get the touchback change. A few years ago I thought they were trying to encourage more run backs to make the game more exciting.
    They are encouraging less, to make the game more safe. It will just take more finesse on the kickers part.
    National Champions: '65 '68 '69 '83 '85 '86 '88 '90 '11 '12 '13 '14 '15 '17 '18 '19 '21

Regarding the helmet rule. What if there is some hands to the face stuff that the refs miss and a helmet comes off, the rule punishes the wrong guy. Probably wouldn't be an issue with a properly fitted helmet.
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    Regarding the helmet rule. What if there is some hands to the face stuff that the refs miss and a helmet comes off, the rule punishes the wrong guy. Probably wouldn't be an issue with a properly fitted helmet.
    Correct. It will make getting those fouls correct more important. If a helmet is fitted properly though it should take a pretty obvious face mask penalty for the helmet to come off.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Correct. It will make getting those fouls correct more important. If a helmet is fitted properly though it should take a pretty obvious face mask penalty for the helmet to come off.
    I've belly ached about this before but..............Indy, what is your opinion about aggressive stiff arms to the facemask by an offensive player. Seems like a double standard. When a defender even inadvertantly grabs the facemask it's 15 yards and an automatic 1st down. Most stiff arms to the face/facemask by ball carriers are much more violent, yet it is legal. When this happens, the defenders helmet is often pushed or even "punched" into distortion or ripped off. In your years of officiating meetings, has this ever been considered as a potential rule change to punish an offensive player, given that it may cause a higher risk of injury.
    Through the years, the Bison running backs have befefitted from the stiffarm (most recently Roehl and Paschall moreso than McNorton and Ojuri), but I just don't like the double standard.