Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Close to Recruiting

Default Re: The Close to Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by BisonNeil View Post
    I'm confused Gabe. On one hand you say Pierce is "iffy" and on the other you imply we don't need a guy because we already have 2 DEs, one of them being Pierce. Which is it?
    Im saying it would be amazing if we get Pierce. It would be rare to get both him and Warren. FCS teams typically dont get talent that good. But I found out we are planning to use Pierce at tackle (source burgandy) so if thats the case I would have to up my chances on McMakin.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFifty View Post
    Gabe has never been wrong....ask him on Thursday about this. Plus we all know that Horne type back is a dime a dozen?

Also....the Rival Gopher writers do recognize that Pierce is a verbal to NDSU now, but would flip if offered.
    We currently have 3 kick ass running backs. We just graduated a kick ass running back. Before DJ we have had a string of NFL caliber guys named Paschall, Roehl, and Steffes. Throw in guys like Sigers and most would agree we have no problems whatsoever finding quality backs. If you want to go back to the Lloyd, Gordon, Satter, Stark days we can do that too ...

Horne would have been great but Im not even a little bit concerned. We will be stacked again

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

Quote Originally Posted by SamsRams View Post
    I dont get how a greyshirt has any guarantees. So if a new coach comes in after Kill gets fired, it is guaranteed that Lauer will get a full ride?
    In my opinion a greyshirt is dumb unless you have academic issues. For me a guy like Lauer who is a solid student, greyshirting will be a hell year for him.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but to greyshirt he cannot take a full load of classes (aka be a full time student) or his eligibility clock starts. Also he cannot practice, go to meeting or even work out (officially) with the team or coaches.

The funniest part of all this is calling playing for the Gophers a dream. We might wanna change that to a nightmare, because playing for a team that will never win a conference title and will be lucky to go 500 and play in a bowl game sounds like a horrible dream to me!
    Exactly. Not to mention if they fall in love with another player they will offer him a scholarship. This year the Gophers had zero OL seniors graduating and they have verbals from at least 2 o lineman players plus any walk ons.(not counting lauer) Next year its only 3 graduatung. That means if Lauer is not one of their top few choices in the nation, good luck finding your way on the roster. If they felt he was one of the tops in the nation, why didn't he get other BCS offers? Just sayin .. doesnt smell right. Simple math.

And thats not a knock on Lauer. I just dont believe they view him in the same light as a 3 or 4 star recruit like Hayes

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    Exactly. Not to mention if they fall in love with another player they will offer him a scholarship. This year the Gophers had zero OL seniors graduating and they have verbals from at least 2 o lineman players plus any walk ons.(not counting lauer) Next year its only 3 graduatung. That means if Lauer is not one of their top few choices in the nation, good luck finding your way on the roster. If they felt he was one of the tops in the nation, why didn't he get other BCS offers? Just sayin .. doesnt smell right. Simple math.

And thats not a knock on Lauer. I just dont believe they view him in the same light as a 3 or 4 star recruit like Hayes
    That's not true Gabe. The Gophers graduate three seniors off the OL this past squad, Bunders, Wynn and Orton. They do, however, only graduate one next year, assuming he stays around. There have been dire predictions that many of next years seniors on the squad won't stick around for another year. My guess is quite a few will graduate and since they haven't played the past season they are gone. So, there may be more scholarships available than we think and Lauer may be thinking one of those will be his.

That's not true Gabe. The Gophers graduate three seniors off the OL this past squad, Bunders, Wynn and Orton. They do, however, only graduate one next year, assuming he stays around. There have been dire predictions that many of next years seniors on the squad won't stick around for another year. My guess is quite a few will graduate and since they haven't played the past season they are gone. So, there may be more scholarships available than we think and Lauer may be thinking one of those will be his.
    Gabe needs that guy on ESPN who comes in at the end of the show and corrects the mistakes for clarity. Good stuff. Good work Neil, gotta keep the facts on the board to make sure Gabe doesn't cloud the truth. Appreciate your accuracy.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

Your right. They already updated their roster. (tried to read on my phone) Wow that was fast. But it doesn't change my point. They graduated 3 players at the end of this year and signed 2 plus walkons plus Lauer. Next year they only gradute 1 player. It doesn't look promising for Lauer.

Quote Originally Posted by SamsRams View Post
    I dont get how a greyshirt has any guarantees. So if a new coach comes in after Kill gets fired, it is guaranteed that Lauer will get a full ride?
    In my opinion a greyshirt is dumb unless you have academic issues. For me a guy like Lauer who is a solid student, greyshirting will be a hell year for him.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but to greyshirt he cannot take a full load of classes (aka be a full time student) or his eligibility clock starts. Also he cannot practice, go to meeting or even work out (officially) with the team or coaches.

The funniest part of all this is calling playing for the Gophers a dream. We might wanna change that to a nightmare, because playing for a team that will never win a conference title and will be lucky to go 500 and play in a bowl game sounds like a horrible dream to me!
    Seems like grey shirting always has a lot of questions. Here is my understanding...with some pretty good knowledge built up on it.

If Kill was fired - Is he guarenteed a scholly in the winter. My answer - NO, I guess the recruit would have to consider that in the equation when deciding to take this route. With Kill in Year 2 of a 7 year contract...that would seem like a safe bet.

Again, I dont think Grey shirting is mainly used for acedemic reasons? I could be wrong, but I have never heard of this as a reason to declare a grey shirt. A student is either eligible or not, I cant see taking a couple of classes could make you become eligible. Now there may be clearinghouse issues once the athlete starts in the fall that causes him to delay enrolling which may equate to a grey shirt at the end of the day. But it is more of a numbers game played with available scholarships.

Othersise all your other points I believe are valid - less then a full load, cannot take part in team activities, etc...for a "semester".

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post

Do you know what a greyshirt offer is? If they fall in love with another OL recruit (which is doubtful at best this late in the process), chances are they probably don't have room for him in the class anyway. Lauer will be at the U of M campus starting in the fall, not as a full time student, and his scholarship will kick in for the spring semester. I don't see what everyone is fussing about here with greyshirts. The Big 10 has oversigning rules in place, Lauer could be a simple case of the numbers don't work, if they did he would be coming in the fall, but since the class is full and they still want him, they offer a greyshirt and his scholarship will be part of next seasons class. Just because the kid has a greyshirt offer doesn't mean a given school doesn't want him...
    "We will win games with talent, but we will win Championships with Character" - Jimbo Fisher - Florida St. H.C.

Again, I dont think Grey shirting is mainly used for acedemic reasons? I could be wrong, but I have never heard of this as a reason to declare a grey shirt. A student is either eligible or not, I cant see taking a couple of classes could make you become eligible. Now there may be clearinghouse issues once the athlete starts in the fall that causes him to delay enrolling which may equate to a grey shirt at the end of the day. But it is more of a numbers game played with available scholarships.
    I get your point, but I was not saying greyshirts are mainly academic risks. My point was greyshirting to me doesnt make much sense for the player unless there are academic issues. I totally get why teams would greyshirt a player!

There have been dire predictions that many of next years seniors on the squad won't stick around for another year. My guess is quite a few will graduate and since they haven't played the past season they are gone. So, there may be more scholarships available than we think and Lauer may be thinking one of those will be his.
    now this makes sense and if that is the case then Lauer made the right call if playing for the Gophers is a dream of his

Seems like grey shirting always has a lot of questions. Here is my understanding...with some pretty good knowledge built up on it.

If Kill was fired - Is he guarenteed a scholly in the winter. My answer - NO, I guess the recruit would have to consider that in the equation when deciding to take this route. With Kill in Year 2 of a 7 year contract...that would seem like a safe bet.

Othersise all your other points I believe are valid - less then a full load, cannot take part in team activities, etc...for a "semester".
    Greyshirts can be used for a number reasons...injuries, acedemics, simply a full class...
    "We will win games with talent, but we will win Championships with Character" - Jimbo Fisher - Florida St. H.C.