Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Soccer Head Coach - Mark Cook

Default Re: New Soccer Head Coach - Mark Cook

Perhaps I should have been more specific.

What are the other Forums that the comments were posted on?

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Looks like an inside job-->which NDSU is known for!! Lynn Dorn overdone her welcome??!! Consider WBB program.
    Before I scrolled to your post CAS I was thinking the same. Wow..........can we get a two for one firing..........Dorn and Dehoff? What a major fuk up!

Don't know if it's fair to not give the guy a chance before he does anything. Our last coach worked out OK

BRING BACK SNORTY

So, two posters who hated the hire and four who were neutral or said it might work out given the circumstances. Not exactly a large sample size to work with or a consensus of opinion.

And I love some people's narrow view of events. DeHoff is sucking and there are some question marks about this hire, so it's obvious Dorn must be fired. Because Dorn only has a track record of bad hires, right? I mean, who has Dorn hired that has actually worked out?

Let's see. Here are the coaches I think she's hired* as well as their winning percentages.

WBB: Ruley(.772), DeHoff(.517)
    Soc: Henderson(.529), Townsend(.624), Cuadrado(.566)
    SB**: Hanson(.731), Mueller(.661)
    WT&F: Godfrey
    VB: Pavilec***(.701), Olsen(.888), Koppinger-Montgomery(.858), Eide(.650), Bina(.684), Hinterstocker(.714), Thompson(.761)
    (can't find histories of golf, swimming & diving, or tennis)

Also, I think Dorn handled the hiring of Tim Miles since we were between ADs at the time. Speaking of which, I suspect Dorn had some significant impact on the hiring of Gene Taylor. Those two hires seemed to have turned out okay.

What I'm trying to get across is to not get caught up in the moment. Most schools would be ecstatic at the hiring history of Dorn. I agree that DeHoff is looking like a flop and the soccer hire has raised my eyebrows, but let's give the guy a chance.

*I'm not absolutely certain on all of these, but they are the women's coaches hired while Dorn has been here.
    **Softball wasn't taken seriously at NDSU until the 90's. At one point, VB & SB shared coaches. I'd list all the coaches, but there were 8 coaches over a span of 10 years. I'm only listing the two from the "modern" era. (a.k.a. the time since the Title IX complaint)
    ***Not sure if Pavilec was a Dorn hire

Yep, untouchable-->who isn't?! More to the story . . .
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Looks like Christie is out too! From In-Forum.com

Posted on January 24, 2012 by Jeff Kolpack
    NDSU assistant soccer coach John Ross, considered the front runner to take over for departed head coach Pete Cuadrado, was named the head coach at Northern Illinois on Tuesday.

Ross spent nine years at NDSU under Cuadrado, who took the head position at Wyoming last week. Ross, who is from Illinois graduating from Northeastern Illinois University, was the goalkeepers coach and associate head coach for the Bison. His move means he will also be closer to family

He takes over the NIU program from Carrie Baker, who was fired.

It’s an unfortunate move for NDSU, especially with signing day next Wednesday. The Bison got a verbal commitment from one of the better players in the country, Lauren Miller of St. Louis Park, Minn. We’ll see what happens with that.

5 thoughts on “Ross, NDSU assistant soccer coach, also leaves”

Bison Fan on January 24, 2012 at 8:05 pm said:
    The soccer program is heading in the right direction. Hopefully the Bison can hire a great new coach and continue the march to the NCAA Tournament with a win in the tournament.
    I sure hope the recruits stay committed to NDSU.

Reply ↓

Mel on January 26, 2012 at 9:26 am said:
    Obviously getting Lauren Miller from MSA was Dorn’s #1 goal so she hired Miller’s club coach at $63000. Pete was getting less than $60000, had been there 9 years, a Masters degree and more COLLEGE coaching experience. What is Dorn thinking?

Reply ↓

Heading in the right direction? Two coaches abruptly leave for inferior programs just as National Signing Day is on the horizon. And the (women’s) AD hires someone ineptly qualified for MORE money than the incumbent. The “right direction”? umm….. ok, then.

Reply ↓

Mel on January 27, 2012 at 11:20 pm said:
    Inferior? Have you seen the facilities tour at Wyoming – which is in the MOUNTAIN WEST conference with all Division 1A bowl elligible teams? MWC (TCU) won the Rose Bowl in 2011. Inferior? You been in ND too long. Just because NDSU won the FCS doesn’t make NDSU a contender against a true D1 school. Also check out the athletic budgets for NIU and WYO. John got a 6 year contract for a LOT more than he would have been paid at NDSU. Pete got a LOT more money at WYO and neither have to put up with Dorn who said “John was second to none”. If Dorn meant that why didn’t she hire John? Just sayin…

Reply ↓

907865 on January 27, 2012 at 7:06 pm said:
    Now Christie Chappell is gone as well. Followed John to Northern Illinois, wow! All three full time coaches have left the program, with the program headed in the right direction why has Dorn not tried to keep anyone. The salary thing is mind boggling, why not pay Pete. Why not John or Christie????? Dorn stuck her neck out on this one, stay tuned!

Pete would have stayed for what Mark is making and John made it very clear to Lynn that he wanted the NDSU job over the NIU job but Lynn want interested.

This whole scenario is mindboggling.

What will be really funny is if Lauren Miler goes to WY then the decision will look even more awful.

For those interested, the forum comments referred to above come from the BigSoccer.com forum. And, according to other comments there, the hiring of Coach Ross at NIU was met with the same confusion, wailing and gnashing of teeth as some of you exhibit here with the hiring of Coach Cook. So, in that regard, the NDSU hiring process doesn't appear that different.

Who knows what happens during the hiring process - could Coach Pete had input into his successor? Could be. I actually hope so - who better to know who might fit the program with the current circumstances? Recognize that the 2012 season could be tough for any coaching staff - losing 10 seniors is a serious blow to any program. And there are only 3 Juniors (only two of which had any significant playing time) and 4 Sophomores. A new keeper (67 minutes of play all last season). 10 Freshman in 2011 and ~10 more slated for 2012. So basically we have 20 "new" players for 2012. The pool of coaches willing to jump in to that cauldron may have been significantly more limited than you think. Personally, I was already concerned about the 2012 season even with the existing staff. A new coach really doesn't change my outlook all that much.

I for one, am willing to give Coach Cook full support. Reliable info says the former MTA girls on the team, who know him personally, are supportive. What better references than the players?

And now it is reported by a blogger in the WDAY Bison Media Blog that Coach Christie Chappel has followed Coach Ross to NIU. I have no independent confirmation, but not a surprising report. sigh...

FYI: University of WY 2012 budget says Head Womens soccer coach salary for 2012 is $76,500.

http://www.uwyo.edu/acadaffairs/plan...ing_Budget.pdf [pg. 123]

And WY has no state income tax.