Thread: Does the state of North Dakota have the name trademarked?

Default Does the state of North Dakota have the name trademarked?

I was wondering if ND U is infringing on a trademark by using just "North Dakota"?
    If not, could I start a company and call it North Dakota? I am thinking about starting a consulting company and thought that might be a good name?
    I don't want to call it anything else for a few years, until I get a feel for what name would work best for me.

Is it true if you don’t protect your trademark it becomes a generic form, and you basically lose your rights to exclusive use. Escalator, Aspirin are examples of what I'm talking about. I'm just curious…

Default Re: Does the state of North Dakota have the name trademarked?

Quote Originally Posted by GFBison View Post
    I was wondering if ND U is infringing on a trademark by using just "North Dakota"?
    If not, could I start a company and call it North Dakota? I am thinking about starting a consulting company and thought that might be a good name?
    I don't want to call it anything else for a few years, until I get a feel for what name would work best for me.

Is it true if you don’t protect your trademark it becomes a generic form, and you basically lose your rights to exclusive use. Escalator, Aspirin are examples of what I'm talking about. I'm just curious…
    I'm guessing the state of ND wouldn't allow North Dakota to be the name of your business as it has to be approved by the Sec of State office. If it's not trademarked then yes someone else could start using it to their benefit... Case in point a few years ago Toyota went after Lexus Development in Fargo because of the Lexus trademark name, so Lexus Development switched to Lexstar Development.

IF UND starts using it as their name. I would think that I would have the right to use it, that is, if the state allows them to use their trademarked name. If the state takes no action to stop it, than wouldn't it open up the name for others to use?

I would think UND is considered under the umbrella of a state entity... if that happened then you would think UND would say well NDSU can't use North Dakota and University in their name anymore. But guessing since UND (as is NDSU) is a "public" entity of North Dakota that it doesn't fall under the rules for names that a private/corporate entity would. Can try it but pretty sure Sec of State will reject it.

I believe teh University of North Dakota is named that in the state Constitution. Not gonna look it up cuz I don't really care that much. I do know that their are a number of businesses, including Siouz Mfr. for example, who use that beloved name in their bidness name.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.