Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Season

North Side is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: 2012 Season

Only thing that can hurt us next year is injuries. I think overall we got lucky with injuries our depth showed. Will we have that depth next year?

Quote Originally Posted by TateMosersneighbor View Post
    I agree, the Senior class leaving is awesome and will be missed. Another 10+ win season and deep run is the expectation, but without looking at what other Valley teams are bringing back PLUS the inevitable (sp?) gains and losses due to "life" stuff, who knows.

I'm not sure it can be measured what guys like Willson brought to the table beyond statistics. Chemistry is a huge part of this, we can't be sure we won't lose a coach or two also.

Now it is time for the younger guys to step forward and play like the guys they replaced.

The '12 team is going to be good....really good. Should compete for the Valley championship and make the playoffs.

JSUBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'm looking forward to see how Sam Ojuri will improve the next two years. I'm not taking anything away from DJ, but Sam as a sophomore is farther along than DJ was at this point. DJ was playing some LB his sophomore year, and Paschall was the workhorse, limiting DJ's carries. I hope Sigers can come back next year, but if not I see the carries by Ojuri in 2012 more along the lines of previous years and not this years two headed beast, with Sam getting most of the touches and Lang spelling Ojuri and Jones getting in there as well.

I also think the loss of Cornick and Richard may have the start of 2012 look similar to the start of 2010, for a couple games at least. Next year the O-line will be Billy Turner's, and I hope he can start showing up on some highlight reels like Cornick has the past two.

Some excellent talent will be missed next year on the defensive side of the ball, but it seems like Scottie knows his isht, he can plug whoever he needs to back there, and experience was gained this year by some younguns. Not much will be lost. I hope anyway.

For all the talent we're losing on the O-line, along with the defense, it's the WR's I'm worried most about. Bisonneil is right on the money, imo. Hope the coaches keep working on Moody, he has that Dickinson perseverance and toughness, and I hope the Okland situation gets figured out.

I'll also second the opinions people have on the 2013 year. Next year's senior class is very small only 9 guys, and I am not worried about the underclassmen having any problems back filling the lost talent for the 2013 season.

Does anybody know if Wentz or Thornton can punt? Would love to see our 3rd string QB back there, that would be a nice option to have if one of them were capable.

Quote Originally Posted by JSUBison View Post
    I'm looking forward to see how Sam Ojuri will improve the next two years. I'm not taking anything away from DJ, but Sam as a sophomore is farther along than DJ was at this point. DJ was playing some LB his sophomore year, and Paschall was the workhorse, limiting DJ's carries. I hope Sigers can come back next year, but if not I see the carries by Ojuri in 2012 more along the lines of previous years and not this years two headed beast, with Sam getting most of the touches and Lang spelling Ojuri and Jones getting in there as well.

I also think the loss of Cornick and Richard may have the start of 2012 look similar to the start of 2010, for a couple games at least. Next year the O-line will be Billy Turner's, and I hope he can start showing up on some highlight reels like Cornick has the past two.

Some excellent talent will be missed next year on the defensive side of the ball, but it seems like Scottie knows his isht, he can plug whoever he needs to back there, and experience was gained this year by some younguns. Not much will be lost. I hope anyway.

For all the talent we're losing on the O-line, along with the defense, it's the WR's I'm worried most about. Bisonneil is right on the money, imo. Hope the coaches keep working on Moody, he has that Dickinson perseverance and toughness, and I hope the Okland situation gets figured out.

I'll also second the opinions people have on the 2013 year. Next year's senior class is very small only 9 guys, and I am not worried about the underclassmen having any problems back filling the lost talent for the 2013 season.

Does anybody know if Wentz or Thornton can punt? Would love to see our 3rd string QB back there, that would be a nice option to have if one of them were capable.
    I think I remember that Thorton was BHS punter.

i agree completely with BisonNeil. We graduate one of our best classes ever. Lots of very good starters. Can we get back to the national championship next season? Yes. But I dont think we will be as good. I see us as a 8-3 or 9-2 team. OL/FS/WR are concerns for me. Specifically RT and C. Cornick was dominant and like Neil said, our most consistent linemen. Also, losing Richard and his versatility will hurt us immensely. He was physical and could lineup with solid big men in the middle. I could see Hinz being our C and Lund being LG. Our OL will have a def. downgrade imo, but they still could surprise. RT will be interesting. Right now I am thinking Jerve will be there.

Losing our deep threat in Holloway and go-to receiver is another concern. We have depth issues again there. Maybe Cooper Wahlo will finally step up. Losing Coulter Boyer will hurt, but I think Cole Jirik can fill in nicely. Our DL will be dominant next season barring any injuries. Drevlow and Perry got better as the season went along. Emmanuel has good speed on the outside. LB will be good again but we arent as deep as of right now. Doesnt mean we wont be when the season comes back around. Olson is better in pass coverage than Evans and even last season vs. Montana St. he showed he is good against the run. Littlejohn should improve and could start over Jemison. We all saw what we have in Beck with his big INT. The corner spots looks to be one of our deepest positions. Williams, Shepard, Boyd, likely Pierre, and Dudzik, who could possibly be moved to FS. Special teams is a concern again losing Jastram and Voit.

I dont see our defense getting any worse. Offense I am concerned because of the OL and WR. But we should contend for the MVC title and possibly a NC title once again. EWU has quite a few guys back this past season and we all saw how that turned out. Nothing is guaranteed. Esp. at the FCS level, where recruiting is so hit or miss.

We have the potential to be better next year. Like the old saying goes, practice makes perfect . Over the last 2 years , we have played 7 more games than most teams. With that comes an extra 8 weeks of practice . That's almost an extra season worth of practice. That's a big deal.

Guys like Olson and Emannual have gotten enough reps already to replace Boyer and Evans

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by JSUBison View Post
    If Thorton can punt, it would be nice to have a capable punter that was a punishing safety in HS.

Remember a year ago? Nobody could ever replace Gratzek on the D line. How did that work out?

533 In a row

Im not worried about WR at all, we should be better off than this year

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
    Im not worried about WR at all, we should be better off than this year
    this!!! I hope we can keep all our receivers healthy next year! Or, get greedy and keep everyone healthy for that matter