Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bison Football--the 1970's

Default Re: Bison Football--the 1970's

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    The D-II playoff system began in 1973.

The following are the playoff games the Bison played in the 70s:

1976 Quarterfinal NDSU 10 Eastern Kentucky 3 (Richmond KY)
    1976 Semifinal Montana State 10 NDSU 7 (Fargo ND) attendance 6,100
    1977 Quarterfinal NDSU 20 Northern Michigan 6 (Fargo ND) attendance 2,200
    1977 Semifinal Jacksonville State 31 NDSU 7 (Anniston AL)
    In 73 we were told the reason we didnt make the playoffs was they couldnt have two teams from the same region. So USD got the nod because they beat us on a last second pass in the ez. Cant remember where we were ranked during the year but we finished 16th after the playoffs were over.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

The D-II playoff system began in 1973.

The following are the playoff games the Bison played in the 70s:

1976 Quarterfinal NDSU 10 Eastern Kentucky 3 (Richmond KY)
    1976 Semifinal Montana State 10 NDSU 7 (Fargo ND) attendance 6,100
    1977 Quarterfinal NDSU 20 Northern Michigan 6 (Fargo ND) attendance 2,2001977 Semifinal Jacksonville State 31 NDSU 7 (Anniston AL)
    Wow. And there were people upset about the 17000 or whatever we had against James Madison.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post
    Wow. And there were people upset about the 17000 or whatever we had against James Madison.
    I am pretty sure the temperature was below zero at game time, and that didnt include the NW wind chill.

533 In a row

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I am pretty sure the temperature was below zero at game time, and that didnt include the NW wind chill.
    You'll have to bring up that attendance number whenever somebody complains about playing football inside.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU_grad View Post

The 1976 Montana State game was callled the Grantland Rice Bowl...became the "Grantland Ice Bowl" I went to nearly every game at Dacotah Field from 1976 and I dont think there was ever a day as windy and cold as that one. As for the 1977 game against Steve Mariucci (yes that Steve Mariucci) it was another cold day, we had just had a major blizzard, and all the students were on Thanksgiving break. Norther Michigan whined about the playing conditions all week and after the game.

Steve Mariucci had finished 8th in Heisman voting in 1976.....

From the Bison football media guide in regards to the 1977 game:
    "High mounds of snow around the field and a 7 degree temperature at kickoff did little to chill the Bison as they jumped to a 7-0 halftime lead on a 3-yard run by Gordy Sprattler after a Don Hutson fumble recovery on the NMU 31-yard line"

It was only about 10° warmer for last year's playoff game in Bozeman although they had a couple of days to plow most of the roads after several inches of snow fell.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Say I stumbled on this blog while searching some other things . I played Oline in 76 for Coach Neis and I just had to tell you that he was the best , and it was a treat to see his picture . I only knew him for 5 or 6 months during that season but I have always held him in a very honered place in my live. I got to see the Herd crush the Gophs this yr. which made watchin the Championship game against SHS all the more enjoyable . GO HERD kTCO

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    In 73 we were told the reason we didnt make the playoffs was they couldnt have two teams from the same region. So USD got the nod because they beat us on a last second pass in the ez. Cant remember where we were ranked during the year but we finished 16th after the playoffs were over.
    I was at this game. It was the east EZ and I was on that end, so it happened right in front of my Dad and myself. USD was on about the 10 yard line (maybe even less) and the pass was thrown down and to the left (north). Both the Bison defender and the Coyote receiver dove flat out and it just missed the fingertips of the Bison defender. The receiver caught it about an inch or two off the ground. I still have a vivid picture of the scene in my mind. Bison had led all the way. Ugh. I didn't remember USD having that good of a record that they could have gone to a bowl game that year.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmakesthegrassgrow View Post
    I was at this game. It was the east EZ and I was on that end, so it happened right in front of my Dad and myself. USD was on about the 10 yard line (maybe even less) and the pass was thrown down and to the left (north). Both the Bison defender and the Coyote receiver dove flat out and it just missed the fingertips of the Bison defender. The receiver caught it about an inch or two off the ground. I still have a vivid picture of the scene in my mind. Bison had led all the way. Ugh. I didn't remember USD having that good of a record that they could have gone to a bowl game that year.
    Bad but accurate memory. I was on the opposite 40 (student section) when this play happened. Dakotah Field went from rowdy to silent in a heartbeat. I remember sitting there wondering just what had happened. Got up after a while and drank a few beers to tame the memory.
    Rock

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria." --- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBisonRock View Post
    Bad but accurate memory. I was on the opposite 40 (student section) when this play happened. Dakotah Field went from rowdy to silent in a heartbeat. I remember sitting there wondering just what had happened. Got up after a while and drank a few beers to tame the memory.
    I know, I still get sick to my stomach remembering it; like the time expired FG loss to Troy State. I had taped the Troy State Championship game on my Beta machine. After that happened, I just erased it.