Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SHSU's Defense

Default SHSU's Defense

What do they run for a front? What is their default coverage scheme? Are their LB's big and or athleti? Do they run well? Any big hitters in the secondary? Have they seen our style of offense yet? Have they faced a big, athletic offensive line? Is it possible they may switch up their base D to throw in added wrinkles for us? Is Vigen up to the task of breaking them down and figuring out weaknesses/tendancies/attacking points?

Looking forward to learning as much as possible before Frisco. Keep smack elsewhere-->let's educate ourselves BV.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Default Re: SHSU's Defense

For what it's worth Montana's coach said he thought SHSU's defense was faster than Tennessee's.

They have a very good safety in Darnell Taylor, he was the Southland Defensive Player of the year. He leads the team with 118 total tackles and 81 solo. Their rush defense is number 1 in FCS. 74th in pass defense and 2nd (behind us) in scoring defense. Their corner Dax Swanson has 8 picks. I believe they run a 4-3 if I remember from watching the Montana game

Quote Originally Posted by ming01 View Post
    For what it's worth Montana's coach said he thought SHSU's defense was faster than Tennessee's.

They have a very good safety in Darnell Taylor, he was the Southland Defensive Player of the year. He leads the team with 118 total tackles and 81 solo. Their rush defense is number 1 in FCS. 74th in pass defense and 2nd (behind us) in scoring defense. Their corner Dax Swanson has 8 picks. I believe they run a 4-3 if I remember from watching the Montana game
    ming: What are their jersey numbers if you can provide them?? Does Taylor play SS or FS.

Concerning their rushing D stat, is the Southland a predominantly pass or run conference, or a bit of both?
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    ming: What are their jersey numbers if you can provide them?? Does Taylor play SS or FS.

Concerning their rushing D stat, is the Southland a predominantly pass or run conference, or a bit of both?
    taylor is # 38 and swanson is 7. southland is more of a passing league. but we all know shsu is more of a rushing team, but they're very balanced.

BisonNeil is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I noticed several things about the Sam defense when they played Montana State and Montana.

They are indeed, very fast.

They are also very aggressive. In the first quarter against Montana it was not unusual to see the entire front seven attacking the line of scrimmage. Montana keep on trying to run off tackle and got nowhere. It took an entire quarter before the OC started to attack between the tackles.

I also think they have a tendency to over pursue. Their DEs, especially Weaver, frequently went with the flow of the backfield, and left them very susceptible to misdirection in the second half.

Taylor, #38, is a beast. He was ALL over the field.

I think the Bison need to hit them between the tackles, use screens, and some misdirection in order to move the ball on them. There is no question that Sam has the most impressive defense I have seen this year, except for the Bison of course

It would be great to score quickly on SHSU...they've given up only 13 points in the first quarter of their first 14 games!

Small dline but quick . quick linebackers. tall corners. should run many screens to DJ. if we can get up early we will wear them down as they are light . Good game to run misdirection, end around, and reverses.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

14.8 points against per game (NDSU: 13.2)
    70 rushing yards per game (NDSU: 120)
    8 rushing touchdowns (NDSU: 9)
    213 passing yards per game (NDSU: 203)
    15 passing touchdowns (NDSU: 14)
    22 interceptions(NDSU: 19)
    283 yards against per game (NDSU: 323)
    3rd down conversions against: 30% (NDSU: 38%)
    4th down conversions against: 50% (NDSU: 43%)
    touchdowns against: 26 (NDSU: 23)
    red zone scores: 72% (NDSU: 70%)
    red zone touchdowns: 50% (NDSU: 49%)

Kats run a 4-2-5 base defense. They are very athletic and tackle well. They always seem to be around the ball. It is true that they do overpursue at times, but havent been burned for too many long plays on reverses, screens, etc...... They run very well from sideline to sideline. It is hard to get around the edge. But, dont be fooled that this defense can play smash mouth football. If NDSU wants to run between the tackles, Coach Stoker will pack the box and bring the heat. Our two LB's Kash David (#47) and Darius Taylor (#36) will hit you and hit you some more. Our Weakside linebackers are fast, Wil Henry (#21) and Eric Fielo (#51). They are constantly in the backfield causing trouble. Fielo has had two great games against MSU and Montana.

The biggest thing with Coach Stoker and this defense is he will try and make you one dimensional. Kats will crowd the line, play man to man on the outside and bring the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by katstrapper View Post
    Kats run a 4-2-5 base defense. They are very athletic and tackle well. They always seem to be around the ball. It is true that they do overpursue at times, but havent been burned for too many long plays on reverses, screens, etc...... They run very well from sideline to sideline. It is hard to get around the edge. But, dont be fooled that this defense can play smash mouth football. If NDSU wants to run between the tackles, Coach Stoker will pack the box and bring the heat. Our two LB's Kash David (#47) and Darius Taylor (#36) will hit you and hit you some more. Our Weakside linebackers are fast, Wil Henry (#21) and Eric Fielo (#51). They are constantly in the backfield causing trouble. Fielo has had two great games against MSU and Montana.

The biggest thing with Coach Stoker and this defense is he will try and make you one dimensional. Kats will crowd the line, play man to man on the outside and bring the heat.
    Not following you here. You seem to be referencing David and Taylor as your 2 inside LB's. Where do the weakside LB's come from in a 4-2-5 base D. Not ripping you, just wondering. Do you use a SS as somewhat of a strongsid OLB and a SS/Monsterback player on the weakside, that are also used heavily in flat coverage on passes??
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO