Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Next Year (Defense Breakdown)

Default Re: Next Year (Defense Breakdown)

I would think Esley would want to move to FS instead of sitting behind Brock until his senior year before playing QB. He was a pretty good FS in high school. Wouldn't be surprised to see Veldman move to offense.

KCHerd is offline Member New User (or just very quiet)

I can't see them moving Esley to defense. If I had to guess, Dudzik and Heagle will be the safeties, and Williams and Shepard at the corners. Williams is by no means a solid tackler and shy's away from contact alot. Shephard is tough enough as the tackling corner which is what Dudzik played this year. The way Dudzik attacks the ball carriers, he is a no brainer to play safety ... but very solid at CB if needed

Amazing that we are talking about moving our back-up QB over to a VERY GOOD defense for next year. What a luxury at the QB position versus a few years ago, of course this assumes that the coaches are even remotely considering it.

I think Esley stays right where he is...considering the way (physical) that Brock plays and the recent struggles (Mohler, Mertens) at the position, I feel we need Esley there. Brock will be injured at some point in the next two years...it's just when. I love that about him too, love the way he likes to hit...wouldn't want it any other way (Lum, etc.)

If Stanford or Wentz steps up and forces the conversation...only then will the coaches approach Esley is my opinion. You'd rather have a great athlete change positions and struggle a bit versus just lose him to transfer or quitting.

Quote Originally Posted by KCHerd View Post
    I can't see them moving Esley to defense. If I had to guess, Dudzik and Heagle will be the safeties, and Williams and Shepard at the corners. Williams is by no means a solid tackler and shy's away from contact alot. Shephard is tough enough as the tackling corner which is what Dudzik played this year. The way Dudzik attacks the ball carriers, he is a no brainer to play safety ... but very solid at CB if needed
    Don't forget about ineligible #2 Brendin Pierre. I would guess he starts at Corner again next year. VERY driven young man who is in a challenging major, stayed in Fargo, is very much on track to be eligible and ready to want his spot back. Fastest man on the team according to many people. Was a very good corner as a freshman and didn't even play corner in HS. We have depth. Which is critical. I also know that Dudzik was recruited to play safety, but has done a great job at corner. It will be a great battle and both will play a ton. Sheperd has been great too. I didn't expect much, he has risen at the opportunity.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

Strommer10 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

This is what I have right now:

CB: Williams
    CB: Pierre
    FS: Dudzick
    SS: Heagle
    OLB: Beck
    OLB: Jemison
    ILB: Olson
    DE: Jirick
    DT: Drevlow
    NG: Perry
    DE: Emmanuel

We have depth, so things could change. Especially with the FS position. But I really like this line up. I think we can make a strong run at defending our title.

Kermit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Strommer10 View Post
    This is what I have right now:

CB: Williams
    CB: Pierre
    FS: Dudzick
    SS: Heagle
    OLB: Beck
    OLB: Jemison
    ILB: Olson
    DE: Jirick
    DT: Drevlow
    NG: Perry
    DE: Emmanuel

We have depth, so things could change. Especially with the FS position. But I really like this line up. I think we can make a strong run at defending our title.
    That is a great looking lineup. Remember though that depth was as important this season as the quality of the starters.
    "Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
    — John Wooden

When I look at this, the secondary causes me some worry. We will have to see how things come together. I do have a lot of faith in Scott Hazelton putting another top notch defense on the field!

Strommer10 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    That is a great looking lineup. Remember though that depth was as important this season as the quality of the starters.
    Fact. That is a HUGE part of why this TEAM is the National Champions.

Can we sticky these?

Quote Originally Posted by WYOBISONMAN View Post
    When I look at this, the secondary causes me some worry. We will have to see how things come together. I do have a lot of faith in Scott Hazelton putting another top notch defense on the field!
    Really? Only 1 new player and he was a starter 2 years ago.
    Best DI Football Team in the Tri-State Area - AGAIN