Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kick the ball out of bounds on the kick off! Why not?

Default Re: Kick the ball out of bounds on the kick off! Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Bison03 View Post
    The ball is placed at the 40 every time it is kicked out of bounds. It could go out at the one yard line and the ball would be at the 40. When the ball goes out of bounds before the opponents own 40 than a 5 yard penalty is added. JMU kicked one out on the 45 so that game us the ball at the 50. I have never thought not having faith in your coverage team is a good strategy. The two times they kicked it out of bounds led to 10 NDSU points. Both were after JMU had started to swing the momentum their way. Tying the game with under a minute in the 1st half, only to see us kick a 53 yard fg to take the lead at the half. Then after they pulled within 5 points in the 4th quarter, the first play DJ takes it 60 yards for a td , pretty much sealing the game. I rarely see a situation where kicking it out of bounds is an advantage for the kicking team.
    Here is a question. On JMU's drive toward the end of the first half, they had an illegal motion penalty. Flag was thrown, ball was moved back 5 yards, YET THE EFFING CLOCK NEVER STOPPED RUNNING. We would have had the ball with between ~ a minute thirty or bit better had that not happened. What am I missing on that?!
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Here is a question. On JMU's drive toward the end of the first half, they had an illegal motion penalty. Flag was thrown, ball was moved back 5 yards, YET THE EFFING CLOCK NEVER STOPPED RUNNING. We would have had the ball with between ~ a minute thirty or bit better had that not happened. What am I missing on that?!
    I re-watched the last JMU drive and there was only one foul on JMU. They committed a false start with 4:08 left on the game clock and it stopped while they enforced the penalty. Once the ball is marked ready for play the game clock starts again because it was running at the time of the foul. You can hear the referee's whistle right before the clock starts. The play clock is set to 25 seconds in that instance.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I re-watched the last JMU drive and there was only one foul on JMU. They committed a false start with 4:08 left on the game clock and it stopped while they enforced the penalty. Once the ball is marked ready for play the game clock starts again because it was running at the time of the foul. You can hear the referee's whistle right before the clock starts. The play clock is set to 25 seconds in that instance.
    Ya, I meant false start, but same result. I did not realize the clock was restarted after a penalty, but, when you think about it, doing so makes sense, especially if a team is out of timeouts or the like and would like to get the ball back or keep a drive going but needs time to get a play in or something.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Lehigh/Towson game, Lehigh did the squib/linedrive kick. This actually gave Lehigh a turnover late in the game, the line drive kick, shot off the facemask of a Towson player and right back to a Lehigh player, lucky break. I wonder if they will do this against the Bison?
    Hey Barkeep, another round of the green stuff for me and my buddies!

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Ya, I meant false start, but same result. I did not realize the clock was restarted after a penalty, but, when you think about it, doing so makes sense, especially if a team is out of timeouts or the like and would like to get the ball back or keep a drive going but needs time to get a play in or something.
    When to start the clock (snap or ready for play) has a lot of ifs and buts in the rule book but once you've been doing this for awhile they start to make sense. In general if the clock would have been running without the official's time out to enforce the penalty it will start on the ready for play. Otherwise it will start on the snap.

Quote Originally Posted by KilldeerBison View Post
    Lehigh/Towson game, Lehigh did the squib/linedrive kick. This actually gave Lehigh a turnover late in the game, the line drive kick, shot off the facemask of a Towson player and right back to a Lehigh player, lucky break. I wonder if they will do this against the Bison?
    Most of the time the front line guys on the return team turn around and run back 10-15 yards before turning around to start blocking on a kick. On a low squib kick or standard onside kick they have an opportunity to react and make a play. One approach I've seen is to line drive the kick so it may quickly hit the back of one of the upfront players after he turns around and give the kicking team a chance for a recovery. If it misses the front guy it ends up being nothing more than a standard squib kick. I haven't seen it work too often but it has worked.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Receiving team has 3 choices when a free kick goes out of bounds untouched by them:

Back up the kicking team 5 yards and make them re-kick
    5 yard penalty from the spot where the kick went out of bounds and receiving team's ball
    Take the ball 30 yards beyond where the ball was kicked (typically the 30)

If the ball goes out of bounds at the 36 or beyond they will usually take option 2. Most free kicks out of bounds are deeper than that so you often see the ball placed at the 40. Very rarely do you see a team have them re-kick. If a team is going to try to keep the ball away from a returner they are more likely to pooch kick it into the middle of the field. Intentionally kicking it out of bounds will give the other team the ball at the 40 at worst.
    Whoops. Hell of a lot more complicated than I assumed.
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

The first kickoff was a terrible kick and a key play in the game. That horrendous kick allowed us to kick a FG and take the lead and momentum into the second half.

I ran into this on JMU's board. I think it's the kicker's mommy:

Today, 08:40 AM #1
    CHEERMOM

* View Profile
    * View Forum Posts
    * Private Message

CHEERMOM is offline Rookie

Default Kickoffs

After reading all of the posts where most of you have trashed Cameron (the goat this week) for his squib kicks and praised Cameron (the hero) last week for winning the game on his last second field goal, I have decided to respond. I cannot possibly respond to all of the various threads, so I wanted to start one and try to help you all understand.

First of all, you all cannot beat him up more than he has already beaten himself up. Did he want to do those squib kicks on Saturday? No! Did he intentionally kick them out of bounds? No! But the coaches knew that was a chance that was taken when asked to squib kick it to the numbers. I am not blaming the coaches either, they were desperately trying to do something to win a game! Cameron is a highly capable kicker. I do believe he has proven that this year. He is very capable of kicking it deep every kickoff, but please understand that he must do what they tell him to do! He does not get to make that call. If it were up to him, he would kick it deep every kickoff.

Some of you were crucifying him over stating that he stubbed his toe on the fist kickoff ..... well -- it is the truth! I have told him to always take the high road and tell the truth. He is human .... he made a mistake! But good grief how many of you have not made a mistake in your life? They all had new shoes, old turf, etc., etc., I don't think the guys are making excuses about it .... they are just stating the facts! I am sure that if they were able to play that game over, they would let him kick the ball deep.

Hopefully we will learn from this year on the kickoffs and next year he will get to kick it deep every time. But I hope all of you know (jmaddy, jmudeezenuts, and so on ....) that these guys (players and coaches) bleed purple just like you do and they love the Dukes more than anything but they are human beings! Some of the hurtful things that you all post attacking them personally as players and coaches make you sound like you are not true Dukes at all. Do I think that there are things that need to be improved? Of course I do .... we have outstanding talent on our team ~~they will work very hard this off season and come back next year stronger than ever.

And just please remember that they had a tremendous amount of adversity to overcome this year and I am proud of Mickey, Clayton, all the coaches and ALL OF OUR YOUNG MEN for being able to make it as far as they did.

I know you all will have horrible things to say for my posting this, but I understand that you all don't know what really happens behind the scenes, either.

They ended up with a great season ..... let's be happy for them and look forward to next year
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

Seems like whenever the ball is kicked out of bounds, pro or college, it almost always leads to a score