Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kick the ball out of bounds on the kick off! Why not?

Default Kick the ball out of bounds on the kick off! Why not?

Everyone was ripping on JMU for kicking the ball out of bounds on the kick-off. JMU was basically admitting that their coverage was horrible and they did not want to risk a big run back. So they kick it out of bounds at the 35 and the refs tack on a MEASLY 5 yard penalty?

Until the rules change and a more substantial penalty is tacked on, it does not seem like a bad strategy for a team with crap coverage. Lehigh admits that this is a weakness for them as well, so will we see this again?
    They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.

Default Re: Kick the ball out of bounds on the kick off! Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post
    Everyone was ripping on JMU for kicking the ball out of bounds on the kick-off. JMU was basically admitting that their coverage was horrible and they did not want to risk a big run back. So they kick it out of bounds at the 35 and the refs tack on a MEASLY 5 yard penalty?

Until the rules change and a more substantial penalty is tacked on, it does not seem like a bad strategy for a team with crap coverage. Lehigh admits that this is a weakness for them as well, so will we see this again?
    They were trying to squib (sp?) it, not kick it out of bounds. Did you see the reaction of there coach when those kicks went out of bounds-->he was furious. He also talked about this in the post-game presser.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Castor Troy View Post

If I recall correctly, the first one was somewhat intentional, but I don't believe JMU's coach wanted it kicked out at mid field......I believe it was supposed to be a squib, that would go to one of the "up" guys and eat up some time......not handing us the ball already almost in FG range.....

As for the 2nd one, no, I'm not sure that was actually bad strategy......if they have a kicker that can't get it deeper than the 10 yd line and we get a 30+ yard return, or worse....then they are better off and there is nothing at risk for them.....other than giving your opponent great field position all day....

*apparently CAS is a much better typist than I am......
    Last edited by 90BISON; 12-06-2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: CS types too damn fast!!! ;-)
    "We will choke their ass out, we will get our victory and we will sing the Rouser."

-Tim Brewster 10/20/2007 about 10:00am (BTN)

THE "90BISON" - In case there is ANY confusion.......

I think he meant why not kick it out of bounds on purpose farther down field and take the measly 5yd penalty.
    When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time. -Max McGee

“I really thought you had to run the football to control the game,” Erhardt once said. “You had to throw the football to score but had to run the football to win.” - Ron Erhardt

Quote Originally Posted by westnodak93bison View Post
    I think he meant why not kick it out of bounds on purpose farther down field and take the measly 5yd penalty.
    Am I missing something? Where is the ball spotted when the ball is kicked out of bounds on the kickoff? It is not 5 yards from where it went out as I recall. It's either the 35 or 40 yard line, is it not?! Don't see it enough to remember, but it can not be like a punt out of bounds with a 5 yard penalty!!
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Am I missing something? Where is the ball spotted when the ball is kicked out of bounds on the kickoff? It is not 5 yards from where it went out as I recall. It's either the 35 or 40 yard line, is it not?!
    If the kick goes out of bounds past the opponent 40, it is spotted at the 40. However, if the ball doesn't make it to the opponents 40, such as the 49, it is placed at the spot it went out of bounds and 5 yards is added on...This is most likely to happen on an onside kick.
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.

IndyBison is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Receiving team has 3 choices when a free kick goes out of bounds untouched by them:

Back up the kicking team 5 yards and make them re-kick
    5 yard penalty from the spot where the kick went out of bounds and receiving team's ball
    Take the ball 30 yards beyond where the ball was kicked (typically the 30)

If the ball goes out of bounds at the 36 or beyond they will usually take option 2. Most free kicks out of bounds are deeper than that so you often see the ball placed at the 40. Very rarely do you see a team have them re-kick. If a team is going to try to keep the ball away from a returner they are more likely to pooch kick it into the middle of the field. Intentionally kicking it out of bounds will give the other team the ball at the 40 at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by aces1180 View Post
    If the kick goes out of bounds past the opponent 40, it is spotted at the 40. However, if the ball doesn't make it to the opponents 40, such as the 49, it is placed at the spot it went out of bounds and 5 yards is added on...This is most likely to happen on an onside kick.
    Right, that is what I thought. You can't kick it out of bounds at the 20 and think you are going to get a 25 yard line spot!!! Kicking it out of bounds gives you a 40 yard line spot or worse. Either way, that is damn good field position.
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO

The ball is placed at the 40 every time it is kicked out of bounds. It could go out at the one yard line and the ball would be at the 40. When the ball goes out of bounds before the opponents own 40 than a 5 yard penalty is added. JMU kicked one out on the 45 so that game us the ball at the 50. I have never thought not having faith in your coverage team is a good strategy. The two times they kicked it out of bounds led to 10 NDSU points. Both were after JMU had started to swing the momentum their way. Tying the game with under a minute in the 1st half, only to see us kick a 53 yard fg to take the lead at the half. Then after they pulled within 5 points in the 4th quarter, the first play DJ takes it 60 yards for a td , pretty much sealing the game. I rarely see a situation where kicking it out of bounds is an advantage for the kicking team.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Receiving team has 3 choices when a free kick goes out of bounds untouched by them:

Back up the kicking team 5 yards and make them re-kick
    5 yard penalty from the spot where the kick went out of bounds and receiving team's ball
    Take the ball 30 yards beyond where the ball was kicked (typically the 30)

If the ball goes out of bounds at the 36 or beyond they will usually take option 2. Most free kicks out of bounds are deeper than that so you often see the ball placed at the 40. Very rarely do you see a team have them re-kick. If a team is going to try to keep the ball away from a returner they are more likely to pooch kick it into the middle of the field. Intentionally kicking it out of bounds will give the other team the ball at the 40 at worst.
    There!!! Thank you. You are now good for two things-->taking shit and giving us some much-needed info at critical times.
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO