Page 13 of 80 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: we are going in the wrong direction

DORMIE is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: we are going in the wrong direction

I think that Mary had a boyfriend up there.

zooropa is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    1. Amy didn't suddenly forget how to coach.
    2. Amy and her staff didn't suddenly stop recruiting or forget how to evaluate talent.
    I generally don't like replying in "NDSU" threads, it's your guys' teams, you know 'em better than I do.

However, I wanted to add an observation here.

SDSU MBB had, IIRC, years of 9, 6, and 8 wins at the beginning of the transition.

You could've made those same remarks about Nagy at the time.

Nagy's teams have improved as he's changed the type of game that they play. Nagy used to love having a true back to the basket center. Guess what? You can't play that way at the mid major level. He learned. He learned how to win with the recruits he can land. SDSU may not contend for a league title the year after Dykstra graduates, but they're not going to slip down to the cellar either.

I don't know how Amy ran her offenses, but at least one key to the Jacks success early on in transition is, IMO, the unconventional offense and defense that they ran. The WBB team basically ran a men's game plan (with the exception of how they rotated through screens on defense) which AFAIK caught a lot of D-1 teams off guard.

Point being: it's possible that Amy's system didn't translate well to D1, just like Nagy's.
    Last edited by zooropa; 01-24-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tony View Post
    UND occasionally has a good win but NDSU's bar should be set higher than that.
    Amy's last year was 17-11. Right now UND is at 9-10.
    Tony, I meant in the days before transition. Stacho got alot out of his players back in those days.
    As for now, the Bison bar should be Much higher than what they win up there.
    It hasn't happened. Farther downhill each year.
    I've been around WBB a long time, and watching the SDSU game was TOUGH.
    Losing by 36 at home is not Bison WBB.
    If it's a 55-65 pt. game the Bison are in it.
    If it goes over 70 pts. the Bison are not in it. We don't have that type of
    scoring horsepower. Jacks had 42 at halftime, and the game was over.
    Sad but true.
    It has become difficult to sit thru a Bison game with the product that is on the floor.

Can't specifically answer why any of the SDSU women didn't choose NDSU vs SDSU. Every player for SDSU wanted to be at SDSU, frequently as early as their frosh or soph year of HS. Those at SDSU are molded into TEAM PLAYERS. Even the leaders each year do it by leading the TEAM. AJ believes in super students, that also are very talented, hard-working, basketball players. His, and by extension, SDSU's reputation, is TEAM ball, and super grades. He builds winners, he doesn't bring in THE SUPERSTAR. I doubt very seriously that Kevi Luper of ORU would have fit into SDSU team play concept.

AJ already has his full compliment of recruits out to 2014. Several of them are sisters of other players. Gabby Boever is Maria's sister. Another Corneman, and another Young are in the pipeline. Jacks are doing very well at getting the best of SD. Making in-roads in getting quality MN talent. There are multiple reasons, losing to the Jacks being a prime one, why Gophs won't be playing SDSU for a while. The other prime reason, is MN needs to come to Brookings for a game, before AJ will make his 4th straight pay down game at MN.

Good luck Bison, but DeHoff isn't the right answer for improved Bison season performance in WBB.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidrabbit View Post
    ...AJ already has his full compliment of recruits out to 2014. Several of them are sisters of other players. Gabby Boever is Maria's sister. Another Corneman, and another Young are in the pipeline...
    Kerri Young from Mitchell is not Jill's sister...

Can't specifically answer why any of the SDSU women didn't choose NDSU vs SDSU. Every player for SDSU wanted to be at SDSU, frequently as early as their frosh or soph year of HS. Those at SDSU are molded into TEAM PLAYERS. Even the leaders each year do it by leading the TEAM. AJ believes in super students, that also are very talented, hard-working, basketball players. His, and by extension, SDSU's reputation, is TEAM ball, and super grades. He builds winners, he doesn't bring in THE SUPERSTAR. I doubt very seriously that Kevi Luper of ORU would have fit into SDSU team play concept.

AJ already has his full compliment of recruits out to 2014. Several of them are sisters of other players. Gabby Boever is Maria's sister. Another Corneman, and another Young are in the pipeline. Jacks are doing very well at getting the best of SD. Making in-roads in getting quality MN talent. There are multiple reasons, losing to the Jacks being a prime one, why Gophs won't be playing SDSU for a while. The other prime reason, is MN needs to come to Brookings for a game, before AJ will make his 4th straight pay down game at MN.

Good luck Bison, but DeHoff isn't the right answer for improved Bison season performance in WBB.
    Thanks for your comments. Have to agree with everything you said about SDSU's womens program.......it is constantly reloading. The once proud women's basketball program at NDSU is in shambles.

MN_BISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Just curious, do the ladies hunt and fish too?

Quote Originally Posted by MN_BISON View Post
    Now I figured out what we are doing wrong. We have been recruiting only selfish superstar type players who care only about their stat line. Team wins mean nothing to our players. Not to mention the fact that we certainly don't want smart players. The dimbulbs are easier to coach.

Who'da thunk the Bunnies would have figured out a better system.

zooropa is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MN_BISON View Post
    Posting again, but this time because the anecdote reflects poorly on Pam Borton & the Goofs.

One of the Jacks recruits from the outer edge of the twin cities (I wanna say it was Hannah Strop from New Prague) said, at the time she signed with SDSU, that she'd wanted to go to SDSU since she started high school.

IMO, that says a fair bit about not just AJ, but the support for WBB at SDSU (budget is actually higher than MBB, and attendance is comparable), as well as a comment on how poorly Borton has managed to recruit rural Minnesota.

Woman's basketball programs of und and ndsu have been in a steady decline for years. One contributing reason could be the lack of talent in state. About 15 years ago, i recall a 60 minuets program on girls hoops in north dakota, playing in the drive way with frozen basketballs only to stop and get warm balls from in front of the fire place. Nice story

no enthusiasm for girls basketballs. Is their any aau programs left (eci closed). The attendants is down even at high school level's.

We need new leader ship. Somebody that can bring respect and accountability to the program.

Ponder this

if i was a recruit, looking at ndsu, i would wonder how a volleyball player could miss summer work outs, 5 weeks of pre season practice and the first part of the season and come in play and look bad and still play. This tells me the coach is bad, run!!!! D-1 talent understands what's up.