Page 12 of 80 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: we are going in the wrong direction

Default Re: we are going in the wrong direction

I wonder if Amy got too busy with other things and then her cancer really put it in a tailspin, no abundance of decent recruits and then the transition (shortly after the school up north started showing some WBB dominance) put NDSU in a bad position. I think DeHoff has had a hard time convincing recruits to come here which may be her. But she hasn't shown much progress either and it shows. The team just really seems disorganized. Doubt NDSU will make a move midseason as that typically isn't their style. Need a coach that can get some of the athletes in their proper position to succeed. We'll see soon I suppose only another month+.

ISXBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

If we hadn't lost Katie for the season, I doubt we would be having this conversation. It changed the entire dynamic of the team.

I can agree it changed the dynamic of the team but I don't think it would made up 20-30 points. Even last year with Katie it seemed like they still had a lot of the same issues. If there was anything for saving grace for DeHoff it would be Katie's injury, IF they pull off a win in the Summit League (have to get there first though) could help to. Danielle (Muri), Jamie, and Kahla all show some decent flashes too for true freshman. I think some of the bad taste was left over from the last 2-3 years of Amy's tenure also when things seemed to really start going downhill.

IMO there is only advantages to letting DeHoff go Monday morning. It’s clear the players are not willing to play 110% for this coach. I don’t agree with the lack of effort, you are representing the college and yourself. With that said.

The advantages

1 Give Jaime her chance 9 games left, see if the players will respond.

2 Show Bison nation that mediocrity will not be acceptable.

3 If Jamie is not the answer, you have time with the season not over to start an exploratory group to watch potential coaches.

There was a time where NDSU and UND shared dominance in WBB at the DII level. For a period of 8 years, one or the other was the National Champion. They were almost certain to meet in the Regional Final and the winner typically breezed through the Elite 8 to the Title. During that span, the best team did not always win. The Bison won a title when Sherri Kleinsasser was a Senior and UND was the better team all season long. The first UND title (when Morlock was a Senior) was a year where the Bison were the more dominant team.

After that, each program got to the Title one more time (I think) and both lost.

That is pretty much where the Jackrabbits picked it up and became the dominant force in the region. UND dropped back a bit and NDSU fell off the grid.

I do not have the answer to why NDSU fell so far. I know that UND continued to outrecruit us and it sure as heck wasn't because of Roebuck's personality. Yet, he still got the recruits and got them to perform. Those are the people who could give us insight as to why NDSU was not the desired destination.

NB, I think you answered part of your own question.
    Roebuck "got them to perform".
    He got alot out of sometimes marginal players.
    He's an Ass, imo, but he got players to play hard.

Monday morning as come and gone, it looks like Dorn has decided to wait. After watching clips of the post game highlights, DeHoff looks just lost with no idea what to do next. Making the move would have been good for both parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephants Dream? View Post
    UND occasionally has a good win but NDSU's bar should be set higher than that.

Amy's last year was 17-11. Right now UND is at 9-10.

Quote Originally Posted by Elephants Dream? View Post
    Only part though.

NDSU won 5 Titles in a row and then UND won 3 in a row immediately after. From that point forward, while we were in the same Division, NDSU fell off more than UND. I'm wondering why. I'm also wondering why SDSU transitioned so well and neither North Dakota school was able to figure it out.

1. Amy didn't suddenly forget how to coach.
    2. Amy and her staff didn't suddenly stop recruiting or forget how to evaluate talent.
    3. Roebuck didn't suddenly become likeable.

I'd love the hear from the players who chose SDSU or UND over NDSU just exactly what their reasons were. Probably never will but that's where the answers are.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    Only part though.

NDSU won 5 Titles in a row and then UND won 3 in a row immediately after. From that point forward, while we were in the same Division, NDSU fell off more than UND. I'm wondering why. I'm also wondering why SDSU transitioned so well and neither North Dakota school was able to figure it out.

1. Amy didn't suddenly forget how to coach.
    2. Amy and her staff didn't suddenly stop recruiting or forget how to evaluate talent.
    3. Roebuck didn't suddenly become likeable.

I'd love the hear from the players who chose SDSU or UND over NDSU just exactly what their reasons were. Probably never will but that's where the answers are.
    NDSU actually had a player (Mary Perrizo) transfer to UND after playing her freshman year as a Bison. She sat a year and played the next three for UND. The reason I bring this up is that I went to HS with her, but I'm still not sure why she left to go up north.
    Former NDSU intramural athlete.