Page 1 of 80 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: we are going in the wrong direction

Default we are going in the wrong direction

I can't figure it out. The women's basketball team was once a powerhouse and many assumed after a few years we would be fielding competitive teams. Instead SDSU continues to do well and now we cannot even compete. We lost to the Gophers 80-40 and were getting blown out home. What's the deal@? Recruiting? players? Coaching? I get the sense were under achieving

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Default Re: we are going in the wrong direction

I think its a combination of things but we have so many new players on this years team that its going to take awhile for them to gel. We have played pretty tough competition as well. Lets not forget we lost one of our few vets and pg before the season to an ACL injury.

Yes the program has fallen but I dont think its time to go in full panic mode...

Gopher game was very hard to watch. They have beat us up one side and down the other for four years now. FG% for the games was 26.5% and Three pointers 28.6%. When you look at the YTD stats the two most experienced players left are having a tough start. Abby- 9-40 for 22.5% and Jenea 3-14 for 21.4%. I still haven't figured out what the offensive plan is. Bison were trowing up some ugly wild and shots.

They have had a hard time handling good on ball pressure for sometime now. Leading to turnovers and short shot clock by the time they get the ball into the half court.

BlueKeyAlum is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think everything touched in this thread is relevant.

Regarding this year's team: We are very young and are having to rely on some very young players at key positions. that makes for growing pains but that could bode well for the future....

except, we have no way of knowing if we're recruiting the ahthletes we need to recruit. At some point you have to ask, is the staff developing these players to their true potential? And if they aren't why aren't they? And if they are, then we need to recruit players with higher ceilings for development. Will we be sitting here two years from now and still be talking about how we're relying on young players? Our current juniors were called on to make contributions when they were frosh and with that expereince, i would think we would have a better product on the court.

I don't live in Fargo, I don't have any inside info into the staff or players but I get the hunch something is going on. The Women's Basketball blog, which in the past has had stories on the team, info pieces, even goofy trivial information on a pretty regular basis hasn't been updated for over a month. There are not a lot of "special interest" stories coming out on GoBison or In-forum. Heck, GoBison barely gets game information out on the site 24 hours prior to the event. I think something's going on and I think the pressure is beiing put on the staff to produce.
    "I’m not familiar precisely with what I said, but I’ll stand by what I said, whatever it was.” --- Mitt Romney

"That which doesn't kill you, hurts." -- me

Seems like we've been young for the last 5 years

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post
    Seems like we've been young for the last 5 years

Exactly!

It comes down to coaching and recruiting. Wasn't just a few years ago that we had 8-9 players suit up for games? With 15 schollies, that is unacceptable.

I don't know how "loyal" Dorn is with the coaches but IMO, DeHoff has had plenty of time to produce a respectable, consistent winner. This year looks like it will definitely be below .500. Maybe Dorn is OK with mediocre women's BB teams.....

Women's VB, soccer, softball, track and field have all had success at D1....women's BB has languished in mediocrity at the same time.

It would be interesting to here from someone that goes to a lot of games and get their honest opinion of this team so far. Looking at highlights of games from TV sports, it looks like the talent level is not where it should be....maybe I'm wrong.

You are not wrong.

533 In a row

IMO it's a real shame because North Dakota fans will actually go watch a good women's basketball program. When I was in college the attendance seemed pretty much the same as the men's games. If they could build a winner again, I truly believe they would get great support. Then it really starts to snowball....."hey high school recruit, do you want to play at XX school in from of 534 fans or at NDSU in front of 5,123 fans?"
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    IMO it's a real shame because North Dakota fans will actually go watch a good women's basketball program. When I was in college the attendance seemed pretty much the same as the men's games. If they could build a winner again, I truly believe they would get great support. Then it really starts to snowball....."hey high school recruit, do you want to play at XX school in from of 534 fans or at NDSU in front of 5,123 fans?"

Exactly.

When I was at NDSU, late 80s and early 90s, the women's BB games that I went to were awesome. Those teams had talent at D2.....IMO, those teams could beat any D1 team we have fielded so far. The women's BB program should be a consistent Summit league power, not a glimpse once every 5-6 years.

IMO, if this year turns into a sub .500 year with poor effort, then it is time to go in a new direction with coaching.

roadwarrior....you go to women's games.....Do they have the talent to be successful this year?