Page 9 of 169 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by NDB2 View Post
    whatever.

if the north dakota sbohe can push around the ncaa...

wait? what?
    I was talking about this last week, if the Big fluff boots the pinkies up north, will they then assemble more tax dollars and sue them, or if the measure passes on the nickname will they sue the NDSU fans that voted yes? Tank was crying the other day on 740 about NDSU fans voting for it. Well for 1 don't put it on the ballot if your scared how people will vote, 2 don't sit outside the NDSU playoff games begging for signatures to get it on the ballot
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

DePereBisonFan is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    It happened so fast that there could hardly have been any time for the State to act.
    This.

10 char

zooropa is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by DePereBisonFan View Post
    This.

10 char
    Additionally, I don't think the state *needed* to get involved, in that both Viverito & Douple were well aware of the risks involved in letting the Big Sky into Vermillion.

The account of events provided by Douple & Viverito, as well as the USD administration is completely plausible. There's really no need to infer covert action by the BoR in order to explain what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Is it really baseless? Sioux Falls is building a brand new arena and they want it to host the Summit league basketball tournaments. Another SD school in the Summit doesn't help with that? Not saying that it did or didn't happen, but to call it baseless is a stretch*.

*Obviously a much more complex situation than this, just the first grade version.
    Yes, it is baseless. The MVFC football coaches were helpful in putting the deal together. The State had nothing to do with it.

Understand this: our legislators, as bad as I sometimes think they may be, are not like SOME legislators in ND (not mentioning names but the initials Al Carlson come to mind).

And if you're convinced there is some proof (and you continue to refuse to produce such proof), then think about this: maybe you're just in the middle of a bad dream and you're going to wake up as soon as you finish reading this message, just in time to hear that UND beat NDSU in football. (It's that kinda baseless.)

Durned conspiracy theorists anyway.
    Go Jackrabbits!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    Board of Regents had to give sign off approval and that took a few extra days. That is all the time that was needed. Yes, zoo you can tell me I'm wrong and I have no proof but there was a reason the Board of Regents didn't give immediate approval. They bought time for phone calls to get made.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with how it went down and I admire the state for getting involved to get their two biggest schools back together. It just sucks for NDSU cause unless there is a conference that comes calling with 3 openings, I feel the state of SD isn't letting SDSU and USD seperate again. To get this back on track, the Summit better expand now and Denver would be a good fit. Douple can't sit around and wait any longer.
    Other than a post-negotiations stamp of approval, the State was not involved Grizzled. Zooropa is right. You guys up north have been under the influence of the craziness at UND -- it just doesn't work that way anywhere else.

and by the way, I have some prime ocean-front property for sale just south of Brookings.
    Go Jackrabbits!

Now comes Jay Bilas and ESPN advocating for a reduction in the size of Division 1 basketball programs. With all of the conference realignment going on, I hope the NCAA doesn't take the "opportunity" to do something this stupid and bite on this concept. Just two years ago they were discussing expanding the tournament...now they want to downsize the pool of participants. LEAVE IT ALONE! That being said, a conference merger with Horizon or securing a spot in the MVC may become necessary to stay in the conversation.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/blog?...ps-product-ncb

zooropa is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by BisonJD View Post
    Now comes Jay Bilas and ESPN advocating for a reduction in the size of Division 1 basketball programs. With all of the conference realignment going on, I hope the NCAA doesn't take the "opportunity" to do something this stupid and bite on this concept. Just two years ago they were discussing expanding the tournament...now they want to downsize the pool of participants. LEAVE IT ALONE! That being said, a conference merger with Horizon or securing a spot in the MVC may become necessary to stay in the conversation.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/blog?...ps-product-ncb
    Jay Bilas also thinks that basketball and football players should be paid. His thinking on subjects is hardly indicative of how the NCAA sees it. And as long as the MBB tournament contributes over 90% of the NCAA's operating budget, the NCAA will avoid seriously upsetting this applecart.

Bilas is clueless and is nothing but a shill for the BCS schools. The smaller schools make the NCAA tournament interesting and they provide a ton of non-conference home games for the BCS schools to make money on.

Another good read on conference realignment from a "local" perspective (Sioux Falls Argus Leader). Vandrovec touches on the possiblility of the Horizon poaching Oakland from the Summit League, and Oakland's willingness to move on. The Summit needs to get aggressive fast.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ll|text|Home|s

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    Bilas is clueless and is nothing but a shill for the BCS schools. The smaller schools make the NCAA tournament interesting and they provide a ton of non-conference home games for the BCS schools to make money on.
    AGREE.

When he sticks to basketball and the X & O s - he is very good. But you are right, he kisses the BCS Conferences' asses and plays to the big schools. Just another reason to hate Duke.