Page 81 of 169 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    I agree with almost all of this.

I understand the gap is bigger. But if the goal is for Augie to go D1, the only way to do it is to get started with the right financial commitments to be as competitive as possible immediately and, after achieving some success, continue working toward closing the gap from there. I don't know the details, but I'm guessing by the time USD made the jump, the gap between NDSU/SDSU and the Coyotes was reasonable. I'm guessing not as wide as the gap between NDSU and Augie is today, but it's not like USD was financially in the same place as NDSU on the day they officially moved up. (Right? I could be wrong on that, for sure.) But it's not like they sat there and said, "Hey, it's a pretty big gap right now...maybe let's keep chillin' here at D2 just in case." They had the resources to make the jump, made the jump, and are now accomplishing things that are increasing their financial resources and closing the budget gap (like fielding a highly successful women's basketball team, getting better in men's basketball and football, etc.).

It all comes down to whether or not Augie really can or can't secure the finances necessary to start with. The local D1 fans can all sit and talk about how it's impossible/improbable that they will and the media can sit and speculate all day on how it's going to get paid for, but the reality is that the funding will either be there or it won't, and the administration will need to make a decision accordingly. If they make an ill-advised decision and things go poorly, the school will undoubtedly irritate and/or alienate a staggering portion of its alums and boosters. My guess is everyone involved is aware of that.

I hope they are having the right conversations with the right people about FCOA, coaches' salaries, facilities updates/upgrades, etc. and whether or not they can afford to compete with all of those factors being considered appropriately. Because if they AREN'T able to pull that together, I would much rather see us stay Division II and compete at the highest level in D2 (in several sports), which we have been doing for the past 8-10 years.

Regarding your last point, I think everyone is in agreement that there's a 0% chance Augie does this successfully without planning for how to handle football. But if everyone on the local message boards is having more intelligent and insightful conversations about that decision than Augie's administration and athletic department, then Augustana University is screwed anyway, regardless of which decision they make. Like, super duper screwed (no offense, everyone on here...I'm including myself in that remark).

Ultimately, if the decision is being made by Augie's administrators saying, "Eh, we're not totally sure where the money's gonna come from, but let's give it a shot. #yolo" then a jump to D1 will be a colossal, Centenary-esque failure. I would hope throughout this process that they've been accounting for the factors you've been mentioning. If there even is a process. At this point, neither the president nor nor athletic director has even remotely indicated Augie will be going D1.
    This is actually an interesting and fairly civil discussion between fans of all the schools.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Hold my beer.
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by SiouxFan View Post
    Wut? A new version I have never heard before.
    Give it time. It was tweeted by the White House this morning so give the statement some time and soon many will claim that’s what happened! ��
    Go Jackrabbits!

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    This is actually an interesting and fairly civil discussion between fans of all the schools.
    That's typically what I shoot for. I tend to enjoy it more than non-stop insults and bickering.

oldmantutters is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MrAugustana View Post
    That's typically what I shoot for. I tend to enjoy it more than non-stop insults and bickering.
    For what it's worth (pretty much nothin), I gotta give you props you've come here and kept shit civil. The kinda guy who would be fun to have beers with. That said, to me Augustana is a DII school, and I don't mean that in a derogatory sense at all. To me there is just a hierarchy and with their side and everything, that is where they are. Just like MSUM, and I will cheer for them both any day of the week where they are.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Honeybooboo is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

good god no.....

SD has no room for 3 DI BBall schools, SDSU is going to struggle now fighting for Recruits I would guess

Sioux Falls > Brookings

heckler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

MVC or bust now

Quote Originally Posted by heckler View Post
    MVC or bust now
    Were not even competitive in the Summit

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

heckler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Were not even competitive in the Summit
    Ok invite Morningside too. Let's get the band back together!