Page 8 of 169 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator View Post
    I dunno if that was supposed to be in purple or not, I can almost drive from Fargo to Brookings in my sleep.

But I agree, we need to use SDSU to our advantage in case a conference is eyeing SDSU more than us due to location alone.
    Perception is reality. Now you and I know that Fargo->Brookings is a relatively short drive (maybe not in winter conditions) but in the eyes of a southern (or great lakes states based) conference that's a long long long way.
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

zooropa is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    With how the state of South Dakota got involved during the USD to the Big Sky debacle, I see SDSU being more tied to USD than I do us. If any conference comes calling for SDSU, they better be willing to accept USD. Depending on the situation, this could be a positive or a negative for NDSU depending on how many schools the conference is looking for.
    For* the last time, the state of South Dakota did NOTHING to get USD into the MVFC. I don't know where or how that rumor got started, but it's utterly baseless.

*what will unfortunately not be

abc123 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by zooropa View Post
    For* the last time, the state of South Dakota did NOTHING to get USD into the MVFC. I don't know where or how that rumor got started, but it's utterly baseless.

*what will unfortunately not be
    Is it really baseless? Sioux Falls is building a brand new arena and they want it to host the Summit league basketball tournaments. Another SD school in the Summit doesn't help with that? Not saying that it did or didn't happen, but to call it baseless is a stretch*.

*Obviously a much more complex situation than this, just the first grade version.

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Is it really baseless? Sioux Falls is building a brand new arena and they want it to host the Summit league basketball tournaments. Another SD school in the Summit doesn't help with that? Not saying that it did or didn't happen, but to call it baseless is a stretch*.

*Obviously a much more complex situation than this, just the first grade version.
    I think it is baseless. It happened as a result of Douple calling up Patty on the eve of losing TWO existing Summit members and one potential member to the BSC. Couple that with Patty quickly understanding the symbiotic relationship between the Summit and the MVFC and a conference call was easy to arrange. It happened so fast that there could hardly have been any time for the State to act.

Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    Is it really baseless? Sioux Falls is building a brand new arena
    Yes. It's baseless. The new arena hadn't even been voted on, heck, they hadn't even finalized a site when USD went to the MVFC.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    TWO existing Summit members and one potential member to the BSC.
    Well, in fairness, Douple & co. probably didn't lose any sleep over SUU joining the BSC.

Grizzled is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    I think it is baseless. It happened as a result of Douple calling up Patty on the eve of losing TWO existing Summit members and one potential member to the BSC. Couple that with Patty quickly understanding the symbiotic relationship between the Summit and the MVFC and a conference call was easy to arrange. It happened so fast that there could hardly have been any time for the State to act.
    Board of Regents had to give sign off approval and that took a few extra days. That is all the time that was needed. Yes, zoo you can tell me I'm wrong and I have no proof but there was a reason the Board of Regents didn't give immediate approval. They bought time for phone calls to get made.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with how it went down and I admire the state for getting involved to get their two biggest schools back together. It just sucks for NDSU cause unless there is a conference that comes calling with 3 openings, I feel the state of SD isn't letting SDSU and USD seperate again. To get this back on track, the Summit better expand now and Denver would be a good fit. Douple can't sit around and wait any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    there was a reason the Board of Regents didn't give immediate approval
    USD was invited on Friday, October 29. The Big Sky press release was Monday, November 1. USD was invited to the MVFC on Tuesday, November 2nd. The SD BoR had met Oct. 12-14, 2010, and their next scheduled meeting was Dec. 15-17.

If you want to spin the BoR not scheduling an emergency meeting over the weekend for Monday in order to approve the USD invite as positive interference in behalf of USD joining the MVFC, go right ahead, but to me, at least, it stretches credulity.

Quote Originally Posted by zooropa View Post
    Well, in fairness, Douple & co. probably didn't lose any sleep over SUU joining the BSC.
    I doubt if any Commissioner takes any departure lightly but SUU was gone no matter what

This is more about the MVFC and their interest in keeping the Summit breathing. Why else would they have agreed to USD?

Hey, I don't think the State of SD had anything to do with it. What leverage could the BOR possibly have with the MVFC? Zero

whatever.

if the north dakota sbohe can push around the ncaa...

wait? what?
    Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."
    Scrooge-"Are there no prisons?". "Plenty of prisons..."
    Scrooge-"And the Union workhouses." . "Are they still in operation?". "Both very busy, sir..."
    "Those who are badly off must go there."
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die."
    Scrooge- "If they would rather die," "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."