Page 63 of 169 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Just saw a tweet that could make sense; what if Augie added hockey? That would actually make a ton of sense and could make D1 more viable for them. Discuss. (Assuming non-scholie football.) This is also provided they could work out a deal with the city for the Premier Center.
    If they could in in the Premier Center, that might make sense. Hockey is a huge cash drain for most teams but they wouldn't have to worry about having a good facility. For football they need to double the size

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

You clear know more about Augie than I do, but how in the devil could they go D1 without financing it largely on the back of students? That is what I don't follow.
    I wish I knew more than I do. I honestly have no idea how it'll work. It seems like a lot of money would need to be raised, so my only hope is that, if they are going to do it, they'll have everything in place before making that decision. I don't want to be one of those D1s that has to consider moving back down in 15 years because they couldn't pull everything together. It needs to be done right.

I will say I'm glad I'm not in charge of figuring out the how of it.

Honeybooboo is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

No way Augustana gets into the MVFC, Summit yes probably but they will have to go without FB, Summit may even be a stretch as i highly Doubt SDSU and USD want them, and being Private have no real State influence to protect

But with the way the MVC is ran they may be a direct candidate there if they dump FB...dont laugh

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    If they could in in the Premier Center, that might make sense. Hockey is a huge cash drain for most teams but they wouldn't have to worry about having a good facility. For football they need to double the size
    Plus, they are in perfect size market and I'd think the WCHA would be very interested quickly. I think they'd make good money on hockey considering the unique situation. It would really, really hurt the USHL franchise......makes way, way more sense than the hockey at NDSU stuff......heck, they could even stay D2 and play D1 teh hockies.

Actually, if Augustana wants D1 cred then starting a D1 hockey program and playing out of the Premier Center while staying D2 in all other sports would be a great idea that would give them the best of both worlds. It would much more financially feasible to maintain 1 team in D1 rather than an entire program. I wouldn't imagine Augie would do that though because some of their booster's sights are set on one weekend in Sioux Falls at the Summit Basketball tournament. That's what this is all about, being on that stage for that one weekend, which is a horrible reason to go D1 and will probably result in sucktitude at best and a complete failure that could bring down the entire school at worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Yote 53 View Post
    Actually, if Augustana wants D1 cred then starting a D1 hockey program and playing out of the Premier Center while staying D2 in all other sports would be a great idea that would give them the best of both worlds. It would much more financially feasible to maintain 1 team in D1 rather than an entire program. I wouldn't imagine Augie would do that though because some of their booster's sights are set on one weekend in Sioux Falls at the Summit Basketball tournament. That's what this is all about, being on that stage for that one weekend, which is a horrible reason to go D1 and will probably result in sucktitude at best and a complete failure that could bring down the entire school at worst.
    Ill take Sioux Falls over Vermillion & Brookings all day.. in fact, Ill make a bold prediction. in 10 years Augie Passes both of those podunk colleges.
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

DI hockey while being D2 makes a lot of sense for Augie (they can have their own niche in that market) but if they add hockey and want to go completely DI, my desire for them in the Summit dwindles to basically Chicago State levels. They can't afford it all, if they are going DI I want them to have a small stable of sports and have them pumping money into hoops.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    DI hockey while being D2 makes a lot of sense for Augie (they can have their own niche in that market) but if they add hockey and want to go completely DI, my desire for them in the Summit dwindles to basically Chicago State levels. They can't afford it all, if they are going DI I want them to have a small stable of sports and have them pumping money into hoops.
    Hockey is a cash drain but also a possible revenue source but some of the money they spent of football scholarships would be shifted to hockey. Certainly it would benefit the MVFC teams since its flat out less football players getting a scholarship. Teams like Sioux Falls, USD, and SDSU would love it.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Hockey is a cash drain but also a possible revenue source but some of the money they spent of football scholarships would be shifted to hockey. Certainly it would benefit the MVFC teams since its flat out less football players getting a scholarship. Teams like Sioux Falls, USD, and SDSU would love it.
    Check out Stampede attendance for anyone who wonders why I like this idea. (Stampede would hate it im sure.)

Check out Stampede attendance for anyone who wonders why I like this idea. (Stampede would hate it im sure.)
    6,741 fans per-game
    And that's a step below college hockey. Would have been the 4th best in D1 Hockey

the Stampede set a USHL attendance record by drawing 191,280 fans in 30 home games and finished in the top 10 in attendance among minor league hockey teams.

NCAA Average Attendance Leaders:

Rk. School GP Average

North Dakota 21 11,408
    Wisconsin 18 10,436
    Minnesota 16 8,725
    Omaha 18 6,118
    Penn State 19 5,906
    Minnesota Duluth 20 5,811
    Denver 21 5,665
    Michigan 19 5,399
    Ohio State 20 5,337
    Michigan State 16 5,157