Page 57 of 169 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Where were they before?

Hansel is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Can we just pump the breaks on the Augustana to the Summit League crap just because the league realized it made sense to move here? My goodness the media are desperate for attention.

I would be positively irritated is the UxDs and XSDUs let Augie even get a sniff. That is another great example of what we left, let not return as they are way more dissimilar to us, than we are to something like the U of M and I don't see a B1G invite coming.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Can we just pump the breaks on the Augustana to the Summit League crap just because the league realized it made sense to move here? My goodness the media are desperate for attention.

I would be positively irritated is the UxDs and XSDUs let Augie even get a sniff. That is another great example of what we left, let not return as they are way more dissimilar to us, than we are to something like the U of M and I don't see a B1G invite coming.
    I still struggle to understand why USD and SDSU would want Augie in the league, it just puts another mouth to feed right in the middle of the market they fight over. From an NDSU perspective all Augie adds is another body, they are a tiny school that brings no new market and no new recruiting grounds. No Bison fan gives a single damn if we play them in any sport ever again. I would much rather add UMKC, at least that brings in a new Midwestern market.

I also think the Summit needs to guard against becoming overly Dakota centric, we are the power players but we still need schools from other areas to have a healthy conference.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

Summit would have to be really desperate to add Augy

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    I still struggle to understand why USD and SDSU would want Augie in the league, it just puts another mouth to feed right in the middle of the market they fight over. From an NDSU perspective all Augie adds is another body, they are a tiny school that brings no new market and no new recruiting grounds. No Bison fan gives a single damn if we play them in any sport ever again. I would much rather add UMKC, at least that brings in a new Midwestern market.

I also think the Summit needs to guard against becoming overly Dakota centric, we are the power players but we still need schools from other areas to have a healthy conference.
    So why are the media folks so enfatuated about it? Both Fargo and Sioux falls media.

So why are the media folks so enfatuated about it? Both Fargo and Sioux falls media.
    I look at Augie as a worst case scenario that would stabilize the league.

Pros.
    We would never have to worry about losing an auto bid for any sports. Once Fort Wayne leaves we will be begging teams to come here so we can go to the NCAA tournament.

Travel costs. 5 teams and lots of bus trips. Direct flights from Denver to Sioux Falls. Many same time zones.

Could be good for attendance with 5 Dakota schools an easy drive away.

Good program at the D2 level and a decent sized market

Cons
    Feels D2
    More competition in same footprint.
    Could further erode SDSUs home court advantage in the summit league basketball conference tournament. Some may view this as a positive

Nobody knows who Augustana is outside of the Dakota schools and, zero name recognition and seems to hurt the conference brand

Their facilities, while great for D2, have a ton of work that needs to be done

Could piss off ORU and Western Illinois

Will spread the talent pool even thinner with more scholarships

I would much rather add UMKC but if we had to add Augie, I would feel better getting both

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

I don't think the Fargo media is infatuated, Dom might be but he is obsessed with all things realignment.

Guessing the SF media would love to have another DI team to cover that is right in SF....Augie probably also has some powerful allies in the community like Krabbenhoft
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

We don't want Augie in the Summit. It's the Sioux Falls media that continue to beat that drum. If Augie joins I'd prefer the Dakota 4 to make a joint call to the Big Sky and get the F out of the Summit. Augie in the Summit means this conference is going absolutely nowhere.

Honeybooboo is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

lol, 3 DI schools in SD..HA If Augie is our lifeline in the Summit and they are not trying for better then Larson better be looking for a new home both for sports and him

Also who gives a shit if a couple secretaries move to SF from Illinois, the headquarters for a conference doesn't really matter.