Page 40 of 169 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    Ask 10 people tomorrow what NMSU's mascot is. 7/10 will say the Lobos. The other 3 won't have an answer.
    How do we get a list of schools transitioning to D-I because that's where future Summit member will be?
    I'd love to see UMKC come back and I'm skeptical the MVC will take UAB.

Ask a hundred people what the Indiana acronyms mean and they won't even know what state they are from. New Mexico State is a known team.

I agree that transitioning teams may be a good idea.

Depends if we want to stay in the Summit long term or if this will be the highest we ever go?

If we ever want to make the jump to the MVC, we need to make the dance on a regular basis. By that reasoning, it would make sense to add a shitty team to the conference and watch them develop in time. We end up in the MVC and making the dance wouldn't happen every year. The Summit we have a chance every year. Heck might as well add UND then
    Last edited by HerdBot; 03-23-2015 at 03:20 AM.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    New Mexico st is exciting? I guess I don't think they would be a good fit except for Denver
    were running out of choices.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Ask a hundred people what the Indiana acronyms mean and they won't even know what state they are from.

I agree that transitioning teams may be a good idea.

Depends if we want to stay in the Summit long term or if this will be the highest we ever go?

If we ever want to make the jump to the MVC, we need to make the dance on a regular basis. By that reasoning, it would make sense to add a shitty team to the conference and watch them develop in time.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by onbison09 View Post
    Big time mid-major basketball for me is making a sweet 16 run every now and then, not just going one and done in the tournament.
    I agree. We will need to make the big dance pretty much every year for that to happen. More of a reason to stay in the Summit and solidify it with a team like und. 4 Dakota schools and Omaha give us a core of 5 teams that were in the NCC together for a really long time. All are good rival draws, bus trips, and close to the summit league tournament.

Just need a couple more teams to keep the auto bid.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post

3 words to solve our problems:

MOUNTAIN WEST
    NDSU TO FBS. HAVEN'T WE WON ENOUGH?

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    OFFICIAL BISONVILLE SPONSOR OF:
    Tatanka™ brand humor. Gary Bettman's incompetence. The process of recommending a task force to recommend a process to be suggested to another task force, and of meetings called to discuss future meetings. The 21.3% of teh university students that, unlike Tatanka, are online-only, and the 15+% that never step foot in North Dakota. And hating Detroit...
    Proud member of TOHBTC and NDSU Team Makers.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

NMSU basketball history > all current and former Summit members combined, and it's not even close.

If we are stuck in the Summit for the foreseeable future the best bet is to add UND and Minnesota State if they pull an Omaha and drop football. The Summit tourney would be that much better and local interest would bring greater attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    NMSU basketball history > all current and former Summit members combined, and it's not even close.

If we are stuck in the Summit for the foreseeable future the best bet is to add UND and Minnesota State if they pull an Omaha and drop football. The Summit tourney would be that much better and local interest would bring greater attendance.
    I agree completely. We would be stable as any conference and would have a ton of rivals in the 3 states. Great attendance. Great atmosphere. Great conference tournament.

Not really sexy but I'm sick of the frequent moving of teams and the threat of losing an auto bid. That would give us 6 teams in the original ncc with no threat of moving. The odds of IUPUI, IPFW, Oral Roberts, and Denver leaving is always going to be there. Heck WIU would probably bolt to the Ohio Valley, Horizon, or MVC if given the opportunity.

How many teams have we lost since starting? Oakland, Oral Roberts, Centenery, UMKC, and Southern Utah. That was of course right after Valpo and Youngstown and pretty much every other midwest school.

Were basically a conference that gets teams pouched and lacks an identity. Shit Chicago State and UMKC actually left the conference. Not a good sign.

If we want to get away from thst, keep it in the upper midwest. Embrace our northern cold footprint. Nobody will pouch us. Shit the way everyone talks nobody in a major conference wants anything to do with the Dakotas anyways.

To add some flavor make a south or east division. That will keep the teams far away happy. Southern. . Denver, Oral Roberts, UMKC, New Mexico State, and a few others sprinkled in

That way maybe the Horizon or Ohio Valley will become the conference who loses half their conference to turnover and we can get some of their teams instead.

People forget just how good the NCC was in its hey day. It always was near the top nationwide in attendance not only in football but in mens and womens basketball. There is no reason we cant do that at the D1 level. Were already starting to see signs of it. (Side note. Wichita beat Kansas today. Years ago that was a laughable idea. Unrelated but maybe someday the Summit beats up on an MVC team)

Heck all the other Minnesota D2 teams are now the top conferences with big attendance. Lots of talent and good fan bases. Embrace it.
    Last edited by HerdBot; 03-23-2015 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    MVC fans on the conference board are ok with UAB

They knock even the mere notion of NDSU or SDSU due to distance yet they are fine with Birmingham Al

13 hours from Cedar Falls in perfect driving, that's really close 12 hours from Wichita

I wonder if WSU gets interest from elelsewhere wwith their success? They don't have FB so it limits where they could go I guess
    This really annoys me. Heretofore, I've loved the idea of the Missouri Valley, but understood the concern about distance. Nevermind that our state is part of the actual, geographic Missouri Valley. But then to read in an article that the conference (not just the fan board) has expressed interest in UAB is mind-blowing. Birmingham? Really?? To hell with the MVC. We just need to be successful in the Summit until such time that we move to a better (likely FBS) all-sports conference. I honestly don't understand what's not to like about NDSU by the MVC officials, other than distance. It reminds me of the arrogance of the NCHC hockey teams leaving the WCHA. I love how the WCHA has been a pretty decent league without the NCHC teams. That's what we need to to do. Just keep being successful in athletics. And if we are ever so attractive that MVC comes calling with an invite, give them the bird.

On a side note, if NDSU started hockey, I'm guessing we'd be invited to the WCHA in about 15 seconds.
    Last edited by Professorbum; 03-23-2015 at 05:09 AM.
    I don't care what Jim says. That is not the real Ben Franklin. I'm 99% certain.