Page 27 of 169 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by tjbison View Post
    I guarantee it doesn't help having the tourny in USD and SDSU's back yard, most conferences hold their tournaments in major cities. and I gree with Student that Minneapolis woul be far Better than Sioux Falls.
    And most mid major tournaments in major cities play to empty arenas and lose money. The SL tournament is one of the really good things the league does have going for it.

The results of the tourney the past five years show that the home court advantage for the South Dakota schools doesn't produce an unfair advantage.

These last few posts honestly sound like sour grapes from Bison fans who are looking for a reason to blame the departures on something South Dakota.
    Jackrabbit1979 - Bringing delusional Bison fans back down to earth since 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
    And most mid major tournaments in major cities play to empty arenas and lose money. The SL tournament is one of the really good things the league does have going for it.

The results of the tourney the past five years show that the home court advantage for the South Dakota schools doesn't produce an unfair advantage.

These last few posts honestly sound like sour grapes from Bison fans who are looking for a reason to blame the departures on something South Dakota.
    it's really a home game for us to, and don't you think it looks like Dakota favoritism a little? why not do a rotating tournament? it helps keep all the schools happy. and yes I think The Dakota schools joining and being successful did have an impact on ORU leaving. they were no longer the juggernaut and bolted for a weaker conference imo
    NDSU Athletics: oderint dum metuant

it's really a home game for us to, and don't you think it looks like Dakota favoritism a little? why not do a rotating tournament? it helps keep all the schools happy. and yes I think The Dakota schools joining and being successful did have an impact on ORU leaving. they were no longer the juggernaut and bolted for a weaker conference imo
    "...it helps keep all the schools happy...." Who do you think is making the decisions on where the tourney is held? Just SDSU and USD with NDSU having half a vote? The Summit League, acting through its controlling board -- the leadership of each university in the leage...makes the decision. All the school are happy. Some coaches may have a gripe or engage in some wishful thinking but they know the score: money.

Personally, I think Fargo has the potential to match the support of Sioux Falls and get the tourney up the interestate once in a while. I don't see any other venue (other than Fargo and Sioux Falls) matching the financial support.
    Go Jackrabbits!

bug fluffy isnt happening for ndsu kolpack wrote it today big gene told people mvfc summit is the way unless somethin big comes you fans from the old school can acdept this just shut up already

zooropa is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

why not do a rotating tournament?
    Because this tournament was #11 in the country in total attendance last year. Because this tournament draws better crowds for schools like IUPUI and IPFW than those schools do in their own home towns. Because every game is televised. Because the higher seed has won every championship game except one (in WBB: SDSU vs ORU two years ago).

I think with a MN school and UND the tournament could be a huge success in the Twin Cities. NDSU and UND have a lot of alumni living in that area and so would any MN school we would add. I'm guessing SDSU and USD have some alumni there as well. Bison fans love to travel to Minneapolis and so do UND fans.

I think it would be an opportunity for the Summit to really grow its brand in a major media market. That isn't going to happen by playing the tournament in SF or Fargo.

I don't blame the SD schools for what has happened to the Summit, there is obviously way more to it than where the SL tournament is played. That said I also want to move past that and look into what can grow and stabilize the Summit.

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    I think with a MN school and UND the tournament could be a huge success in the Twin Cities.
    I'll believe that when Minneapolis or St. Paul outbids Sioux Falls. They are certainly in a position to do so.

Speaking as a fan and a Valpo alumni, we were very upset when the Mid-con (summit) changed venues for the conference tourney. It changed from Ft. Wayne (at the time IPFW was not in the conference) to Tulsa. We did see our string of 7 NCAA tournament appearences come to an end. But changing the location from Ft. Wayne to Tulsa was a factor in moving to the HL. It not the only or most important factor, but had its impact.

The HL has a unique setup for the conference tourney. 1 and 2 seeds are already in semi final and the 1 seed is the host. 1st round is at the higher seeds campus. Then the quarter finals are at the 1 seed campus. This format is unusual and was adopted mainly because of Butler. Conference wanted their best team going to the NCAA and gave them the advantage in the tournament. The HL has been a multi bid league for many years until the last two.

Quote Originally Posted by JackJD View Post
    Personally, I think Fargo has the potential to match the support of Sioux Falls and get the tourney up the interestate once in a while. I don't see any other venue (other than Fargo and Sioux Falls) matching the financial support.
    Then Fargo needs to find another venue. Without a LONG TERM commitment, there is little chance the Fargodome is going to give up their slot in the touring Sportsman's show that travels the Midwest. That is an "every year" major event and, once you get out of line, you might never get back in.

No way does it make sense for the Fargodome to give up a permanent yearly event for something that they only get occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by okiessocer View Post
    It not the only or most important factor, but had its impact.
    If the tournament had remained in Ft. Wayne, I find it difficult to imagine Valpo admins preferring to travel to Cedar City, Tulsa, and Shreveport over travel to Green Bay, Cleveland and Indianapolis. Therefore, I find it difficult to imagine that tournament location played any role in the decision to switch conferences. It is not as though Valpo needed additional reasons beyond travel.