Page 20 of 169 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Summit Expansion?

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Summit Expansion?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    I don't think he's saying there is no affiliation. What you said is technically correct but probably has close to zero relevance as pertaining specifically to NDSU.

The Gorilla in the room is that the MVC is primarily about BASKETBALL and they think of themselves as a pretty big deal in the mid-major ranks. Most of their schools don't play football in the MVFC.

The result is that the MVC isn't the slightest bit impressed with NDSU's basketball program and there is a long list of schools ahead of us if the MVC were actively looking for new members. Even the MVFC isn't in a spot where losing NDSU to another conference (BSC?) would be catastrophic. Heck, some might even welcome it (one less loss on their record and a better shot at the post-season).
    Conferences aren't always only looking to bring in programs with success. They are looking for schools that fit their footprint and mission. NDSU and UND are very similar schools in that regard. They are both geographically distant. They are very good public schools with 10-15k students. They have generally decent facilities and get average to above average support. A conference wouldn't necessarily prefer NDSU over UND because we've had a lot more athletic success especially of late. For that reason I don't think a school necessarily has to have a lot of success at one level before advancing to another.

Once the SHAC is completed and we a get sustained growth of attendance I think the MVC could take a look at us. They have 10 members now and having and odd number is tough for scheduling. I don't see them adding both SDSU and NDSU and going to 12. But, with the ever changing landscape of conference shifting, you never know. I think the goal would be to have NDSU in the MVC for all sports.
    "North Dakota State is a big part of the fabric of college football right now."
    "North Dakota State is alive on the college football map."
    -Lee Fitting ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Conferences aren't always only looking to bring in programs with success. They are looking for schools that fit their footprint and mission. NDSU and UND are very similar schools in that regard. They are both geographically distant. They are very good public schools with 10-15k students. They have generally decent facilities and get average to above average support. A conference wouldn't necessarily prefer NDSU over UND because we've had a lot more athletic success especially of late. For that reason I don't think a school necessarily has to have a lot of success at one level before advancing to another.
    This is a reason why I have been a proponent of adding Chicago State. They are one of the few D1 schools out there that compete at the D1 level that fits the foot print. They would be easy travel for many teams. They also share many of the key sports. And even though they are essentially nobodies in Illinois, its a benefit to recruiting making extra trips to the 6th largest city in the US. You can make some extra visits and cut costs. Chicago was where we found And I just read an article on their website about improving academics.

Do they suck? Yes but remember we just had a team leave that was so bad they went down a division!

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

BisBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by gabe View Post

Do they suck? Yes but remember we just had a team leave that was so bad they went down a division!
    They actually went down two divisions! Centenary dropped to D-III.

I think a lot of Summit/MVC expansion hinges on schools like Wichita St and Creighton. Both schools have available stadiums (Cessna Stadium and TD Ameritrade Park) and I could realistically see both schools adding (re-adding, actually) football in the next decade. If the MVC had 7 football schools, they might very well want to sponsor football as a conference and abandon the MVFC.

Going to be interesting for sure... I'd like to see NDSU join the MVC, perhaps with SDSU? And then I'd like the MVC to start sponsoring football, with Creighton and Wichita St bringing back their programs. The conference would be very strong in football, basketball, and baseball, and the schools would all fit geographically and culturally.

Answer Guy is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

And even though they are essentially nobodies in Illinois, its a benefit to recruiting making extra trips to the 6th largest city in the US.
    Chicago State is in Phoenix?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population
    Teh Interwebs – a place you can say stuff.

This is a reason why I have been a proponent of adding Chicago State. They are one of the few D1 schools out there that compete at the D1 level that fits the foot print. They would be easy travel for many teams. They also share many of the key sports. And even though they are essentially nobodies in Illinois, its a benefit to recruiting making extra trips to the 6th largest city in the US. You can make some extra visits and cut costs. Chicago was where we found And I just read an article on their website about improving academics.

I'm not sure I buy that logic. You have a right to your opinion.

Chicago State was NAIA in the 80's and they did move up to D1 in 1994 so I give them some credit for seeing the future. Although, it just might have been that the Mid-Con was desperate to add somebody. Do we really want to make that mistake again?

I guess that I just won't ever get comfortable adding schools that are well below NDSU in almost every measurable category to a league that functions as a "starter league" for move-ups. I would prefer to make the Summit BETTER instead of just BIGGER.

You guys may be on to som,ething here. Sounds like there is real progress in bringing football back to Wichita St.
    http://www.ksn.com/news/local/story/...dMdx_XCEw.cspx

Shockernet is putting in their two cents
    http://shockernet.net/forum/showthre...ocker-Football

You guys could hold them up. Let them in MVFC for your intrance in MVC all sports. Or, just cust the crap and make MVC a football conference also.

[QUOTE=riceweb;635061]I think a lot of Summit/MVC expansion hinges on schools like Wichita St and Creighton. QUOTE]

Herd is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

How do you get into the MVC? Basketball facilities, budget, and success . . . that is the only way. Futbol won't hurt, but Basketball is the only way. Our basketball renovation needs to be spectacular to separate us in BB, or the two SD schools will be ahead of us on the way to the Valley due to location. If you think football is the way to the Valley, you are wrong, again.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernBison View Post
    I'm not sure I buy that logic. You have a right to your opinion.

Chicago State was NAIA in the 80's and they did move up to D1 in 1994 so I give them some credit for seeing the future. Although, it just might have been that the Mid-Con was desperate to add somebody. Do we really want to make that mistake again?

I guess that I just won't ever get comfortable adding schools that are well below NDSU in almost every measurable category to a league that functions as a "starter league" for move-ups. I would prefer to make the Summit BETTER instead of just BIGGER.
    I would agree but we dont have any choices. Who is out there with a Midwest location that is an upgrade?Are there ANY midwest D1 schools? Unless we are going to wait for Duluth, Mankato, or St Cloud State to move up were not in a position to choose. If we lose 2 teams and Chicago State decides to join another team, the conference will lose its auto qualifier and then we might as well go independent

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com